BowJangles 27-Feb-19
Mad Trapper 27-Feb-19
MQQSE 27-Feb-19
huntinelk 27-Feb-19
MQQSE 27-Feb-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 27-Feb-19
Heat 27-Feb-19
26-Feb-19
I just booked with Stan Stevens for 2021. It's ultra exciting to have booked my first ram hunt but a little nerve racking as well. I've seen nothing but positive feedback from the guys here so I was confident in my decision. Any advice from the vets here would be greatly appreciated!

26-Feb-19
Practice from lots of angles Jangles. Congrats!

26-Feb-19
Don't take a rifle along if you want to shoot one with a bow. So easy to grab the rifle and abandon the bow. Best of luck!

26-Feb-19
Angles and distances! Shoot from your knees, sitting if possible and uncomfortable positions. When you think you’ve practiced enough, ramp it up!

26-Feb-19
X2 what Nick said

26-Feb-19
Get in shape as the McKenzies can be rough in places...likely where you have to go around on a stalk. Practice down hill and down and across shots...you are likely to take one. Pay attention to your level bubble as it is key to shooting well in the mountains. Make sure your rangefinder angle corrects "instantly". You don't car about line of sight distance, just the angle corrected distance. Practice in the wind and know when you need to hold your shot for another time. I could go on and on. I'll try to find a thread on hunting thinhorns we had going 2-1/2 yrs ago and move it to the top. Lots of good advice in it.

I've not hunted with Stan Stevens (he was booked too far out on Dall bowhunters and I wanted to go "ASAP") but know him well. One of his guides also lives in the next town east of me and has worked for Stan quite a few years. I also know a few others that have worked for Stan. You should be in for a great time...nothing like the McKenzies! Good luck!

26-Feb-19
Hunted with Stan in 2016. You are going to have a great adventure. Cant help you much with the archery aspect. I did take a ram at 40 yds but it was with a 300 RUM. Everyone is going to push the physical preparedness aspect and they are correct in doing so but I would add to get your mind right as well. Remember you are there to have fun. As you are trudging endless miles up and down mountains just keep reminding yourself you are one of a very small group that is lucky enough to be doing what you are doing. Also keep in mind that those rams aren't going anywhere and no one else is going to be hunting them. That took me some getting use to. I am so use to needing to make a quick play on a buck or bull because if I wait someone else is going to make a play before I do. That is a non issue up there. Enjoy yourself and best of luck.

26-Feb-19
Congrats-I am envious!

I have no feedback to give as I have never hunted them, besides to enjoy the process-and take lots of photos for us that haven't been able to go yet.

26-Feb-19
Eat and drink plenty. You will burn off a lot of calories and can dehydrate which impeded muscles bouncing back for the next day and the next. Do every thing you can to sleep well. Check with doctor, of course, but I take Tylenol PM at night and wear ear plugs and eye patch so minimal sensory stimulation. I took digital music for white noise if had trouble getting mind to shut down. Is best if have own tent in case guide snores or has apnea of leg spasms.

Do not take chances with socks. They need to fit and wick. Liner sock then the hiking sock. Make sure no wrinkles as putting the socks on. Takes a minute to check for wrinkles and this is first line of defense against blisters. Take plenty of socks. When your foot sweats there is salt and when the salt dries it forms crystals that are abrasive if you wear that sock again without washing. If your feet get blistered then will be difficult navigating the steep stuff.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a great hunt lined up!!

26-Feb-19
Good luck and have fun!

26-Feb-19

Slam38's embedded Photo
Slam38's embedded Photo
Practice angles and if you don't have mountains like here where I live find a silo . Ensure your range finder is giving you the correct yardage.

26-Feb-19
No worries about the Outfitter you picked one of the best. A lot of good advise given already. You will absolutely love this adventure.

26-Feb-19
Mr. Bowjangles: Its great have 2+ years to prepare. Best of luck and enjoy the ride! C

26-Feb-19
Lol slam that pic is nuts!!! Reason why I will not go as I am vertically challenged

Congrats to jangles!!! Enjoy the time to prepare it will be here and over before you know it!!!

Have a wonderful time and enjoy the scenery!!!!

26-Feb-19
As said above you have picked a great outfitter in a great area. I hunted with them for sheep and caribou in 2013, then again in 2018 for moose. I did write ups on both trips on here.

27-Feb-19
I had a successful hunt with MMO in 2015 and told the story here on bowsite. Will be happy to have a conversation anytime on my experience and what to expect. PM me.

27-Feb-19
Damn Slam. I thought when i quickly viewed the picture, "what do silos have to do with rams", then I looked closer. Thinking outside the box for sure!!

27-Feb-19
There is no such thing as being in "too good" of shape on a high mountain hunt. Mental preparation is every bit as important as physical preparation. You may be hiking through dangerous terrain and pushing yourself to your physical limit. Be prepared for a lot of discomfort (both physical and mental). Go through your pack and eliminate all non-essential gear if you will be backpacking. Do you really need to carry a spare pair of boots, a dozen arrows, etc?

27-Feb-19
As mentioned before practice shooting in environments with extreme angles. Not only up and down but side angles and a combination of both. Make looking at your sight bubble a part of your shot routine and make sure your third axis on your sight is properly adjusted.

Get a range finder that instantly adjusts distance for angle. Leica does not (or did not a couple years ago) while Leupold and SIG are great choices.

Start strength training now. Squats are great and do high reps of 20 plus x 4 sets along with hand strengthening and upper body. Turn up the cardio and back pack hikes 6 to 9 months out but don’t over do it on the hikes with a heavy pack. Listen to your body and back off when it tells you to.

Most of all, enjoy the preparation!!!

27-Feb-19
Thank you guys for all the insight! It's truly appreciated. I'm a former bodybuilder so I'm accustomed to training hard. Obviously my mindset towards training has shifted tremendously since the hunting bug bit me again but I'll definitely have the legs and the lungs for the trip. I've got a goat hunt in BC this October with Robson Valley Outfitters so that'll be a good warm up. Currently putting in 4-5 days of gym time a week and the angle shooting will get thrown into the mix this spring/summer.

That silo pic is nuts and brilliant at the same time!

Huntinelk, I saw both write ups and they were influencing factors in my choice of outfitter. Those trips looked epic and the animals were unbelievable! Very, VERY well done, congrats!!

27-Feb-19
Lot’s of good advice on here. I recommend taking two identical angle compensating range finders and let your guide have one. Make sure your sight is “tuned” to those range finders. Best way that I have found to prepare is to load your pack and hike with the boots that you will be hunting in. Slowly keep adding weight. Up and down hills. You can’t do enough hiking.

27-Feb-19
Always keep your eyes out for bears. Lots and lots of bears up there.

27-Feb-19
I'm always glad to be an enabler....

I have a friend that is bowhunting with MMO this year. If you want contact me after Aug and I can let you know how be makes out.

27-Feb-19

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Here is my ram with MMO from a few years ago. Great people and beautiful country.

27-Feb-19
All good advise!! I was going to add the second range finder but Tom covered that.

I THOUGHT that I was prepared for the angled shots, but I was not... Ended up being OK, but that silo picture is pure genius. I will be doing some more of that before my next sheep hunt!

Enjoy the process!

27-Feb-19
How Exciting! Wishing you all the best as you prepare for your adventure. I have no experience with Dall Sheep but can truly say that sheep hunting does get in your blood. Kinda like elkoholism. Be prepared for that, LOL! Good Luck!

• Sitka Gear