Butternut40's embedded Photo
Camo paint job required.
Camo paint job required.
I'm going to dual purpose my dark house into a shooting blind. It will be set up on a food plot with lake to my backside so I really will have a shot in one direction. How many windows to add? I was thinking one vertical right in the middle of back wall and maybe a viewing window to the left of it. Thoughts?

26-Feb-19
Id add several with magnetic cloth or sliders so you are still blacked out but have options.

26-Feb-19

Butternut40's Link
A 12" x 36" should work. Also, wondering if I need to elevate slightly. Any benefit?

26-Feb-19
4 isn’t enough for me but that’s why I only sit trees!

26-Feb-19

I know what you mean. It's not an ideal spot to hunt and I can only get by hunting this plot from the cattail side. It would go at the top left of this plot.

27-Feb-19
I’d rather have more than just one option available to me. They always seem to come in from where you’re not expecting them to.

The Deerview windows are pretty nice windows for the money, IMO. I’ve got the 10”x24” ones and they seem to give me plenty of room to shoot, but if you’re going to elevate your blind, I’d suggest that you figure out how high you’re going to elevate it before cutting in your windows. If you’re going to use the 12”x36” ones, it won’t be nearly as critical to get them set at exactly the right height. Lots more flexibility for sure. Personally, I don’t have a ton of experience hunting out of box blinds, but from what I’ve read, a lot of guys feel that you do get some advantage by elevating the blind some.

27-Feb-19

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Better pic. The one thing I dislike about rhino blinds is the only small vertical window is by the door. Making sneaking out near impossible with deer in the field.
LINK's embedded Photo
Better pic. The one thing I dislike about rhino blinds is the only small vertical window is by the door. Making sneaking out near impossible with deer in the field.
I’m obviously not in the majority here but for what you describe, I’d rather have one window and the my back to the sun. If it’s dark and deep enough they can’t hardly pick you off.

Killed one with my son in the blind this year. I’d prefer it not face the sun but that’s how it ended up. The left window is netted so I can see them in time to draw.

27-Feb-19

Link that's great :) t-roy thanks for the feedback on the windows. I think I will do something like this pic. I may just elevate it a foot or two off the ground just to get it out of the mud.

28-Feb-19
I’ve got a homemade box blind set up 6 feet above the ground. Deer never look into it. The whole front is open with an awning over the opening. Never been seen.

28-Feb-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I have hunted from pop ups with only one window open. If you like to be bored to tears and can keep your cool when an animal walks up at 5 yards it may be ok. I had one gobbler take to his heels when an involuntary “Oh shit” came out of my mouth. The blind didn’t bother him but evidently he didn’t like my choice of words. The bow blinds I build have a large window in front and smaller windows on each side at about 10:00 and 2:00. This one hasn’t had the windows cut out but you can see the frames.

01-Mar-19
Thanks all. Windows on order.

• Sitka Gear