BowJangles's embedded Photo
Hey fellas. Long time stalker, first time poster. Just wanted to throw out a few pics of my CO antelope hunt last summer. Had a killer time and finally connected on a decent goat after a couple unsuccessful hunts. It seems like the sky always opens up and dumps all over me the week I’m there so water hunting never works out.

27-Feb-19
Always a good time. Story?

27-Feb-19
So it was a 7 day hunt with my friend Bob Paulson of Front Range Outfitters in CO Springs. I was stationed at Falcon AFB (now Schriever AFB) as a younger man and hunted his property in '99-'00 only to come up empty. Admittedly I wasn't much of a hunter but enjoyed chasing critters all the same. I went back in '17 on a 4 day hunt and came up empty. I had a perfect 69 yard shot on the last day that sailed high. The antelope was staring at me and I didn't take their jumpiness into account and shot over him. Rookie mistake. So not being one to quit I went back out last year. Of course the night before the season opened 5-6 inches of rain fell and the antelope that had been hitting water regularly were scattered to the wind. It was going to be a spot and stalk job. After dozens of failed stalks on the first 2 days I had to come up with another game plan. There was a slight patch of vegetation that they seemed to gravitate to. Anytime I drove by them to access parts of the ranch they'd bust out only to funnel back in. I decided to try and play that to my advantage. It was getting late into the second day so I got in the truck and went to pull up the closest blind. There was a clump of cacti and I decided to set up shop in between them as best I could. There were cattle roaming the ranch that are notoriously curious so I drove a few stakes and ran some barbed wire around the blind to keep them from nosing it to pieces.

Once I had the blind set up I took off to gas the truck and get a bite to eat. On the way back to camp with a few minutes of light left I drove by the blind, which was ~1100 yards off the road, to see if they had funneled back in. Sure enough I had 3-4 shooter bucks in range of the blind along with several does and fawns! Needless to say I was super pumped about the next morning.

That night the rain dumped again. This time I welcomed it as the wet ground would quiet my approach to the blind. The next morning I got up at 4am, had breakfast and a cup of joe and hurried to the blind. I parked the car by the road and by 4:50am I was set up and waiting. The second that light cracked I had a doe and small buck 10 yards from the blind. I was ecstatic that the plan to move the blind seemed to be a smart move and was possibly going to pay off. Throughout the first few hours of the morning several more small bucks and does trickled in and a shooter buck was 125 yards out on the horizon. Between 9-11am two more shooters made an appearance but hung up with the other buck. Around 11:30 I saw what looked like 5-6 antelope charging towards the blind. As they run by the other antelope 125 yards or so out I noticed that 3 coyotes were chasing them. Several other antelope came from my right and left and joined the others. They seemed to form up in a fashion similar to musk ox and the bucks took turns charging at the coyotes. It was super cool to watch this interaction. After a bit of back and forth the coyotes knew the game was up and went on their way. The group that the coyotes pushed in had 2 more shooter bucks. At this point I had 5 antelope around me that I'd sling carbon at in a heartbeat. I was watching 2 small bucks feeding at my 11 o'clock and about 100 yards out as they started to feed across the front of my blind to my 4 o'clock. As they walked by one of the shooters that had bedded stood up and joined them. This was going to happen!!!!

I had several land marks ranged and once I saw them heading to the 60 yard point I dialed in my sight, got on my knees and drew back when they were 5 yards from that point. The wind was gusting as it usually is in the Springs and since I was in the blind and couldn't feel it I didn't compensate. The buck was slightly quartered towards me and I aimed for the front of his shoulder and touched the release. The wind pushed the arrow about 3 inches left from where I aimed but the shot was still lethal. The Rage Slipcam blew right through him and left a massive entry/exit wound. He ran in 3 big circles and dropped. My CO antelope tag had been punched!

He has massive cutters and really nice hooks. I couldn't be happier with the outcome and to finally have a speed goat after all these years. The taxidermist should have him done next month!

Cheers!

-Eric

27-Feb-19
Nice job and nice write up. Way to stick with it!

27-Feb-19
Nice going. Great goat. Thanks for the recap.

27-Feb-19
Great story and pics! Way to get it done.

27-Feb-19
Congrats on your first goat, Bojangles! Even better when your plans work out in your favor as well.

27-Feb-19
It’s Bo time!

27-Feb-19
Congrats, nice antelope! I’ll be looking up that outfitter, as I’m also in the springs.

28-Feb-19
Great story! Congrats! Add in a picture of the mount when done too.

28-Feb-19
Congrats

28-Feb-19
Killer story. Congratulations!

• Sitka Gear