longbeard 01-Mar-19
Twinetickler 01-Mar-19
SaddleReaper 04-Mar-19
Iowabowhunter 04-Mar-19
Huntingpooch27 04-Mar-19
Franklin 04-Mar-19
28-Feb-19
Good evening.

Need to quit borrowing my dad's turkey decoys and get some of my own.

Wondering what the best value would be for a jake and hen? I like the looks of those DSD a lot, but I also need to get a blind and my wife and I are trying to pay off debt while she's in school, don't have a ton of extra $ laying around.

Thanks!

28-Feb-19
Sportsmans Warehouse.

28-Feb-19
Those pretty decent dekes?

28-Feb-19
Avian X may not be up to DSD, but they are pretty dang good for the price. Hell, I killed a bunch with old rubber dekes that favored buzzards more than turkeys, but Rios ain't real smart. :-)

28-Feb-19
I can understand money being tight. But once you buy a DSD you’ll never need another decoy. If I could only buy one it would be the Jake. Good luck and come on spring!! Hunt

28-Feb-19

sitO's Link
Look at Rogers Sporting Goods(link), got a good sale on Turkey dekes right now. They have some from GHG and Flextone that look pretty good, as well as Avian, DSD, others. I've got a bunch of DSD's and I like'm, but they are expensive.

28-Feb-19

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Jake, Those DSD's are the bomb if you can afford them but its not as important as paying down your debt! I finally bit the bullet last year and bought some used from a bowsiter off a post like this. That may be an option if anyone is selling a couple. They work:) I see you're from MT, do you still live here? I have an extra blind you could borrow if you need to use one while you save some money to pay down debt. I'm in Bozeman, if your'e nearby hit me up and maybe I can help.

28-Feb-19

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Sorry double clicked and posted twice

28-Feb-19
We killed plenty of turkeys before we had DSD type choices. Even with the old collapsible foam ones that looked like a dinosaurs.

That said, I take my DSD almost every time I go out now.

The HS or Primos are inexpensive and look much better than the stuff we used 20-30 years ago.

28-Feb-19
We used to cut silhouettes out of plywood and paint grey. Add some white and red but even a toddler would not be fooled but we killed gobblers in the spring. Were heavy though so switched to 3D style and now use the style where you can put a real turkey fan into the tail end.

28-Feb-19
Forgot to mention...

A few years back I found a guy selling a stuffed Tom for less than a DSD Jake...as I said above, I like my DSD's at certain times and situations, but "Barry Beatdown"(the stuffer) is almost always LIGHTS OUT.

28-Feb-19
featherflex....foam ones. Fold up in pocket, light.

No wow factor, killing Tom's over them for over 35 years. Turkeys are stupid...save your $.

28-Feb-19
Get a Dakota Jake. When I bought mine it was like $60. They are more now but you will get the very same productivity for a much cheaper price. You will hear many call them cheap Chinese knock offs....they might be but they work flawlessly.

28-Feb-19
I like the Wind Drifters made by Ultimate Predator. Movement rocks!

Make Dad proud!

28-Feb-19
Best value is a Turkey fan attached to a stick. Find some toms in a field, wave it at them, then prepare to defend yourself. On YouTube there is a ton of guys doing just that. Field Tom's are really dumb and really easy to kill. Don't blow your budget on a bunch of decoys or blinds.

28-Feb-19
Zink Avian X hens, for sure. The combination of realism and being collapsible is amazing.

I have a DSD Jake, but when I go backcountry I only take the one folded up Avian X hen.

01-Mar-19
I like the looks of those Avian X too

01-Mar-19
I’d pay off the debt Borrow the old mans decoys, till you can afford a DSD jake and hen

01-Mar-19

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Feather flex

01-Mar-19
As Charlie mentioned Wind Drifters are awesome and very simplistic. I have killed quite a few birds over them in a short couple of years. If I’m not using WD I use just a homemade tail on a stick. Cheap and works awesome!!

01-Mar-19
I picked up some clearance Queen Bees at Walmart for $10. Work great!

04-Mar-19

SaddleReaper's Link
I don't see how you could go wrong for this $60 set...

04-Mar-19
Hans those don't look too bad!

04-Mar-19

Huntingpooch27's embedded Photo
Huntingpooch27's embedded Photo
Thunder Chicken!

04-Mar-19
X2 Elkmo…..I`ll take the convenience of the fold up foams over quality.

• Sitka Gear