Drnaln 06-Mar-19
Scott/IL 16-Oct-22
JL 16-Oct-22
Scott/IL 17-Oct-22
JL 17-Oct-22
Willieboat 17-Oct-22
Scott/IL 20-Oct-22
01-Mar-19
I have the itch to go on an archery Columbia blacktail hunt this year. I haven't entirely ruled out a DIY OTC hunt in California, but I do want to further explore the guided options since I'll be coming from New Mexico and time will be at a premium (little one at home). I'm mostly looking to experience a new state and species, so trophy quality isn't terribly important. In fact, I would be interested in a doe hunt if one is availble. I know Arrow Five is the default option. Unfortunately, they have been hard to get in touch with, and I believe are booked for this year. Where else have people hunted? Any recommendations?

02-Mar-19
I hunted with arrow five we booked yr in advance so 2020 would be your best try BSC see if they find you hunt

02-Mar-19

Bowboy's Link
You might try these guys. They list quite a few outfitters.

02-Mar-19

Bowboy's Link
Here's a good video with some Oregon late season Blacktail hunting. I grew up in Oregon and the late season is fun except it rains a lot.

02-Mar-19
Diamond C Outfitters in northern California,,,,great guy and plenty of big deer

04-Mar-19
I'll second Arrow 5 Outfitters. Give Jim a call.

04-Mar-19
I can highly recommend Arrow 5. I have hunted with hem numerous times for CBT and Coues deer. Jim and TinaMarie are wonderful people and will provide you with a great hunt.

04-Mar-19
I'll be hunting with arrow 5 this August

04-Mar-19
I hunted with Jim and Tina Marie once in the past. I was unsuccessful but wouldn’t hesitate to go back. An amazing outfit and great people.

04-Mar-19
Whoever you hunt with, make sure you know CA's baiting regs.

05-Mar-19
Depends heavily on the experience you want. In my opinion, a true experience for bowhunting Blacktails is on your feet in a spot-and-stalk manner. Bowhunting Blacktails with a guide in California or Oregon offers many different opportunities and experiences. Tree-stand vs. stalking, early vs. rut, baited vs. un-baited, open country vs. rain forest, etc. If you don’t care buck or doe, a guided blacktail hunt may not be for you. They tend to be a little pricey and it may benefit you to narrow down the experience you want before diving in.

Either way, true Columbian blacktail offer a great experience in some beautiful country!

06-Mar-19
I’m booked with Mike Lee of South Oregon Blacktails end of October this year, but it’s a rifle hunt. He does bow hunts, but was already booked out on those this year.

06-Mar-19
Panther mike lee kills some great blacktails. Good luck!

06-Mar-19
Thanks, Chris. Yes, he does. He seems like a super good dude, too. I was referred to him by a guy that guided me on mulies last year. He's priced at a premium rate, but he kills stellar deer and once you're with him he's only caring for you (rifle hunters). He only takes two rifle hunters a year at most.

06-Mar-19
Some good outfitters listed here. If you want a blacktail for P & Y or B & C study the boundaries for those organizations. A buck can cross a road or step over a Township Line & become a mule deer in some areas. SCI has much different boundaries for blacktails. Also pay close attention to Matt's post from above on this thread.

16-Oct-22
I’m going to revive this thread from the dead after a few years…

I’m in the market for trying to get a hunt for 2024 planned. Arrow 5 is booked up, so they are out. I’ve emailed some Oregon outfits as well, but no reply to this point (I’m sure most of them are neck deep in their own seasons right now). Any research I’ve done has basically led back to Arrow 5, and their availability and pricing certainly reflect that!

The early dates of the California season appeal to me, but I’m open to a rut hunt in Oregon as well (basically all of September and October are a no go for me because of work that year). I’ve never hired a guide before, only DIY trips for me to this point so I’ve been researching trying to find a trespass fee for private access as well.

And then somewhere way down the lists of backup plans is to always just head west and try to figure it out on public!

16-Oct-22
Did you look at Washington?

17-Oct-22
I have looked into Washington as well, but there doesn’t seem to be as many options up there. Not opposed to the option by any means though.

17-Oct-22

JL's Link
Another place to research would be Vancouver Island.

17-Oct-22
Come to Oregon and hunt them in the rut. Plenty of public ground to hunt and tag is OTC.

20-Oct-22
Definitely leaving that door open as a backup!

It took me 2 trips DIY to get my Coues, and I’ll hopefully be back on Kodiak next year for a 2nd whirl at a Sitka.

• Sitka Gear