otcWill 04-Mar-19
'Ike' (Phone) 04-Mar-19
Cheesehead Mike 04-Mar-19
wildwilderness 04-Mar-19
'Ike' (Phone) 04-Mar-19
BULELK1 06-Mar-19
JSW 06-Mar-19
03-Mar-19
So how many states have you hunted in one season, say the 13th until the 28th of Sept...And how was the quality of your hunts, did you feel rushed to get two (2) good hunts in?

03-Mar-19
I think Dan Moore is probably The Man on that front! I know he took three P&Y bulls in three states in about a week or so a few years ago.

03-Mar-19
Lol...I should have known! Thanks Marv, I'll search again...

03-Mar-19
Yep, BigDan never feels pressured he just gets it done.

03-Mar-19
That’s big D though...Expected, as with a bunch of other guys on here! I’m no where near that level, not even close...Lol

03-Mar-19
My best year is two P&Y bulls in two states. Of course quality tags is what made it possible. AZ and NM for me. I did feel a little pressured at first, but I killed the first bull on day 5 then I had the entire AZ season to hunt. No pressure because I had meat in the freezer and antlers on the wall already!

03-Mar-19
Have done what your talking about numerous times.......any way you can squeeze another week off ?

Have done 4 states once.....was just to much ;)

Did you buy point guard in Arizona ?

03-Mar-19
I can, just didn’t want to go into WY gun season...And yes, I can PointGuard AZ!

03-Mar-19
In one season?

WA and OR in 2017.

Possibly another year or two, but I can't recall.

I drew AZ this year and did buy Point Guard, just in case its a dry spring.

03-Mar-19
In 2016 I hunted 4 different states in 4 months and took 4 different big animals. Archey and Rifle.

Sept Alaska Moose - Oct Colorado Pronghorn - Nov Nebraska WT - Dec Wyo Elk

That September I hunted archery elk in Colorado before I went to Alaska and again when I got back.

That was a lot of hunting and traveling

03-Mar-19
Yup, be in AK first part of Sept...

03-Mar-19
I've learned from experience that it's not a good idea to apply or schedule too many hunts the same time of year. It's obviously a gamble with the draws. If you have the opportunity to spread hunts out over a extended period of time (similar to cnelk) you are likely ok. I try to give myself at least 2 weeks between trips to allow recovery time.

I've been hunting Alaska for 2 1/2 weeks on an annual basis and it usually takes a little longer to recover from those trips! The days in Aug and Sept are super long and it's hard to pace yourself!

03-Mar-19
I killed P&Y bulls in Montana and Idaho one year. The next year I took P&Y Bulls in Alberta And Montana in 2005 I drew Nevada Arizona and a Montana Breaks tag I took the three in 6 days of hunting. I never want three tags the same year again

03-Mar-19
I’ve had a CO unit 3 antelope, unit 2 elk and second choice bighorn ewe tag in Georgetown combined with a UT Elk Ridge mule deer tag and AZ unit 27 elk tag all the same year. Way too many good tags to do them justice. Wish they’d have come over two years. Did not even hunt the ewe as there was no time.

03-Mar-19
Well, heck!

I thought we were just talking elk!

But if that's not the case, 'a lot' of states and provinces in many years.

Sheep, elk, goats, speed goats, moose, deer, bears, et. al.

03-Mar-19
I've done 4 states for elk in one year. "Only" managed 3 bulls (all 6 point), and didn't have time to do the fourth tag justice. Killed it later with a rifle. WA, ID, MT, WY all DIY. Bill

03-Mar-19
I killed 6 elk in 6 states with one arrow hopping on one foot with one hand tied behind my back. See what you started, Ike.

In all seriousness, one serious archery elk hunt is plenty imo. Good luck!

03-Mar-19
Last year, I hunted, Minnesota (Turkey) South Dakota (Turkey) Alaska (brown, black, grizzly bear, and wolf) Texas (aoudad) Kansas (whitetail)

Was successful on all but the grizzly.

03-Mar-19
I was talking Elk, hense it being in the Elk Forum...Pat, bring back the thread owner tools! Lol

04-Mar-19
It's one thing to have 2 elk tags and quite another to have 2 premium, limited entry elk tags. Only way I'd do it is if I had at least 2 weeks to dedicate to each tag.

04-Mar-19
?. Amen, Nick

04-Mar-19
Do believe you’re right Nick...Pretty easy choice!

04-Mar-19
2009 I drew NM and MT. 2010 I drew NM and CO. 2015 I bought a leftover MT general tag and CO OTC 2016 I bought a turned back CO muzzleloader tag and drew WY general 2017 I drew NM and also hunted CO OTC

Each year that I had 2 elk tags I had 3 weeks to hunt (including driving). In 2009 when I hunted NM and MT, I drove a 3600 mile rectangle solo. I always feel a certain amount of pressure (and wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere) when I have two tags.

If we're talking other tags in addition to elk, some of those years I've also hunted deer in 2 states.

04-Mar-19
I un-expectantly drew two elk tags that overlapped the same 2 weeks in September in Utah and AZ while I lived in CO (and had commitments there as well ) Both units were ok draw units though not the top tier. I did not spend near enough time scouting on either tag as I would have liked, and felt pressure on the first hunt, where I settled for a lesser bull a few days into the hunt. I then went on the next hunt and ended up killing a small bull the last day, thinking I should have spent more time on the first hunt! I don't like having overlapping tags.

04-Mar-19
Yeah, I’m thinking there may be a happy ‘fill in’ hunter for AZ...

06-Mar-19

BULELK1's Link
If you do decide to turn your tag back in for Az.

See my link above as you get all the same benefits as Point Guard but you give someone else in need a chance to hunt.

Good luck, Robb

06-Mar-19
I've hunted 2 states many times. Only once did I fill out on 2 P&Y bulls in the same year. I got a 303 in NM and a 344 in AZ in 2011. Last year I hunted NM and AZ and helped my daughter take a good ML bull in Colorado. We went 2 out of 3. Does that count as hunting 3 states? It helps that I'm unemployed.

• Sitka Gear