T Mac 06-Mar-19
SteveB 06-Mar-19
BOWNBIRDHNTR 07-Mar-19
03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Willow bottom on National Forest
Mitch's embedded Photo
Willow bottom on National Forest
2018 found me with 18 preference points for Wyoming moose. I was talking to my friend Rich and he told me if I drew a tag he’d accompany me on the trip. I started researching units and after talking to several folks picked a unit and applied.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Moon setting over the mountains
Mitch's embedded Photo
Moon setting over the mountains
After I was successful in the draw Rich and I decided to try and draw some Antelope tags and do a combo hunt. Planning begun in earnest and several guys on the Bowsite freely shared info. While doing some map work one evening my wife started to question our hunt plans. Apparently, she didn’t have much faith in our moose extraction plan of two packs and a Havalon and suggested trying to find a ranch that allowed access for a trespass fee. Some time on OnX, more phone calls, and we had access to a prime chunk of river bottom. The rancher even asked us to shoot a few pronghorns off his alfalfa pivot. The only bad news was we didn’t have enough points to draw buck antelope tags, so we’d have to settle for doe tags. Through another friend we were able to gain access to a ranch in eastern WY where we could draw our buck tags, so our hunt plans were made.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Rich and our soon to be moose call
Mitch's embedded Photo
Rich and our soon to be moose call
The summer was spent shooting my bow and preparing for the trip. I expected to draw this tag a decade or more ago and had built some arrows for when that happened. I decided to pull my old bow off the shelf and use it and those arrows on the hunt. We planned on heading out to Wyoming in late September. We’d stop on the way to quickly fill our antelope tags (rifle alert, stop reading now if this offends you) and then get to our moose unit. My plan was to bowhunt for the remainder of archery season and if I was unsuccessful bowhunting, switch to a rifle once firearms season started. The day before we left Rich and I went to a local microbrew and he told me about making a moose call from a large can. We talked to server into giving us a can. Let’s just say I’m glad we decided to make that call.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
After two days of driving we arrived at Rich’s friends house with daylight to spare. We unloaded our gear and headed out to the ranch. The season had been open for a week and a half and the antelope were plenty spooky. We made a few stalks and Rich was able to shoot his buck.

03-Mar-19
Shaping up to be a great tale!!

The "can call" used to be one of my favourite calls. Gets old when you have to pee on the string to keep it wet though.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Thank goodness for good friends who not only give you a place to stay, but let you butcher in their kitchen.
Mitch's embedded Photo
Thank goodness for good friends who not only give you a place to stay, but let you butcher in their kitchen.
On day two we split up and hunted with some friends who had already tagged out. While walking across the prairie I spotted a horseshoe. It wasn’t gold, but I thought I could use all the luck I could get and put it in my pack. That day Rich and I both filled doe tags. We decided to hunt a few hours the next morning and then start to butcher our meat. Just after sunrise I was able to punch my buck tag. We spent the rest of the day butchering and planned on heading to the moose unit in the morning.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Moose in the river bottom
Mitch's embedded Photo
Moose in the river bottom
We got to the ranch midafternoon and set up camp. We had rented a forest service cabin, but the distance from the ranch to the cabin was too far to commute so we decided to tent camp. After camp was set up I shot my bow a bit and then met the rancher for a quick tour. The habitat was excellent. The upper portion of the ranch had a thick willow bottom and the lower portion had hayfields split up by willow lined ditches. We located several high points where we could glass miles of creek bottom. While standing on the one, three bulls chased a cow right below us. Grand total for the evening was 4 bulls, 2 cows, and a calf. We headed to camp for dinner. After laying in my sleeping bag and listening to a bull moose chase a cow through the willows right out side the tent, I couldn’t wait for morning.

03-Mar-19
Keep it coming great pictures and story so far.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Moose was in this bottom
Mitch's embedded Photo
Moose was in this bottom
We headed to our glassing spot and as daylight broke saw a bull following a cow. We headed off to make a stalk, but the wind was wrong, so we backed out. While heading back to the truck I spotted another horseshoe. I thought what the heck, two horseshoes must be better than one, so I put it in my pack. We headed up to the big willow bottom and started glassing. Immediately we spotted a great bull in the creek a few hundred yards below us. I headed down to the creek bottom and Rich stayed up high to watch. The wind was in my face as I worked toward the bull. Unfortunately, the willows were much taller than they looked from above and I could hear the bull in front of me but couldn’t see him. After I could no longer hear him I glassed Rich and he was motioning me back up to the truck. He said the bull followed a cow downstream and they disappeared in the thick bottom. We decided to go make breakfast, head to town for supplies, and then be back at that glassing point in the evening.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Moos was to the left of the haystack when we spotted him
Mitch's embedded Photo
Moos was to the left of the haystack when we spotted him
We ran our errands. It was early afternoon and we were driving toward camp. We had just entered the ranch when Rich said what’s that? We pulled over and glassed a good bull standing in the meadow. He asked what I wanted to do, and I replied, “Let’s go kill him”. We drove up to the closest gate and got out. Rich said he’d stay and glass, but I told him to bring the call. After my morning hunt I wasn’t sure how I was ever going to get within bow range, so I thought let’s try calling.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Opening I stood in
Mitch's embedded Photo
Opening I stood in
We went through the gate and ran about a quarter mile down the fence line to get the wind. We then crossed several ditches and got to the ditch that separated us from the bull. He was about 200 yards away on the other side of the hay meadow. Rich stood in the willows at the head of the ditch and I went downwind to the next opening, about 40 yards. I never saw a moose respond to a call, but I guessed if it came it would circle down wind.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
My view of the meadow. The moose was near where the blue truck is when he started our way.
Mitch's embedded Photo
My view of the meadow. The moose was near where the blue truck is when he started our way.
I got to the opening and nocked an arrow. As soon as I did that I heard Rich calling. He made two calls and when I looked up saw the bull running across the field toward us! I watched in awe as he hit the edge of the willows and turned toward me. He was grunting and rocking his antlers back and forth. He came along the willows and suddenly I realized he was going to come right where I was standing! I should have been downwind of the opening. Too late now, I came to full draw before he cleared the willows and the next thing I know he was head on at about 20 feet.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
I had the pin on his chest and just as I released he noticed me and whirled to run. I saw my arrow bury about 2/3 of the way into his shoulder, as he ran back across the field. I was worried about the lack of penetration. Rich couldn’t see me so when he saw the bull run he started calling again. The bull stopped and looked back, when he did I saw his legs buckle for a second. I put my binoculars up and could see blood flowing from his nose and knew the arrow went into his lungs. Rich ran down to me as the bull went down, struggled to his feet and then collapsed into the irrigation ditch.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
The caller and the can that made it all possible
Mitch's embedded Photo
The caller and the can that made it all possible
Mitch's embedded Photo
I hate to say it, but my wife's got some good ideas....
Mitch's embedded Photo
I hate to say it, but my wife's got some good ideas....
As Rich and I walked across the meadow we couldn’t believe our luck. Our first day hunting moose and we had a bull on the ground. We checked out the bull and I filled out my tag. The rancher told us if he was around he’d bring the backhoe out to help with extraction, so we headed back to the ranch house. He came over and pulled the moose out of the ditch. We took pictures and then loaded the bull into my truck and headed for the locker plant. We had a good meal in town and then turned in for the night.

03-Mar-19
Congrats on a great bull.

03-Mar-19
Great story Mitch! Congrats!

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
grouse and taters, life was good
Mitch's embedded Photo
grouse and taters, life was good
The next day we broke camp and headed for the cabin we rented with a small game license in hand. We explored the area for a few days and shot some grouse and relaxed.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
The same day the meat was ready for pickup was the first day of antelope season. We filled our last 2 doe tags in short order and headed down the road to get the moose meat. With coolers full of meat, we bid goodbye to the Cowboy State.

03-Mar-19

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
Thank you for coming along. While I don’t have the story telling ability of many on this site, I wanted to thank everyone who offered advice along the way and thought this would be a good way to do it. My bull was 53” wide and produced 348 pounds of boneless meat. He ended up scoring 132 3/8 Pope and Young. I wish there was a way to quantify the overall experience of this trip. Time spent with friends, both new and old, in one of the prettiest places on earth is something everyone should have the chance to experience. I know I’m very grateful for the opportunity, and I think I’ll hang on to those horseshoes.

03-Mar-19
Wow, congratulations! Not not often you get a situation where you can load a moose whole in the back of your truck, those horseshoes paid off in spades!!!

03-Mar-19
Nothing better than a very successful moose hunt with bow in hand. Nicely done by all.

my best, Paul

03-Mar-19
Great photos and story . Thanks for posting. Hope to shoot a moose one day soon myself . Congrats . Hunt

03-Mar-19
Great bull, thanks for sharing.

03-Mar-19
What a great trip, congrats!

03-Mar-19
Cool thanks for sharing...

03-Mar-19
Great story! Congratulations!

03-Mar-19
Congratulations Mitch, great trip by all accounts. Thanks for taking us along

03-Mar-19
Congrats on a dandy moose! You made that look easy. Nice to get it in the truck with some help, well done!

03-Mar-19
Congrats on a great hunt and animal!

03-Mar-19
Awesome, thanks for taking us along. Forrest

03-Mar-19
Thanks for sharing!!

03-Mar-19
Sounds like an amazing trip, there is something special about the Cowboy State! Congrats!

03-Mar-19
Congrats on the great bull, and nice story. Nice having a backhoe around!

03-Mar-19
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing the story.

03-Mar-19
Y'all had a great trip ! I love Wyoming.....

03-Mar-19
Awesome Congratulations And thanks for sharing

03-Mar-19
Congrats on a very successful hunt, even more so by getting to share it with a good friend, Mitch! Better hang on to those horseshoes!

03-Mar-19
Loved the story! Thanks for sharing it with us and congrats on a fine bull!

04-Mar-19
Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing what is a "once in a lifetime" experience.

04-Mar-19
Moose is the ultimate antlered North American archery trophy. Well done! C

04-Mar-19
Congratulations.

04-Mar-19
You put those horseshoes in your pack or up your 6? Man what a hunt!! Congrats it doesn't get much better then that! Hard to argue with a tractor loading a moose for you.

04-Mar-19
What an awesome, awesome trip!

You guys definitely did exceptionally well! A couple of beautiful antelope bucks, a great bull moose and a YUGE pile of fabulous eating meat! Although, after that hunt, you might have to get another freezer and add on to the house for some wall space:-)

Thanks for taking us along for a recap of your hunt of a lifetime!

Now get out there and do another one this year!

04-Mar-19
Just what I needed today! Thanks for the story and pics. Gongrats on great bull!

04-Mar-19
Great story. Chances are I am probably never going to have the opportunity of going out west, for now I'll live through you guys..

04-Mar-19
Congratulations! Sounds like a great hunt all the way around. Thanks for sharing.

04-Mar-19
Awesome trip, moose and write up, thank you for sharing.

04-Mar-19
GREAT story and hunt! Congrats!

04-Mar-19
Outstanding write up Dave! What do you charge as a guide fee??

04-Mar-19
Enjoyed the story, enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for sharing

04-Mar-19
Great moose. Thanks for sharing the story of your adventure.

04-Mar-19
Congratulations! Great adventure for sure!

04-Mar-19
Awesome! Thank you for sharing! Sounds like a very successful trip animal-wise, but you had great weather and great people to go with it! I hope you enjoyed every minute of it, because we all know it doesn't always go that way!

04-Mar-19
Great story. Thank you for sharing....

05-Mar-19
Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting!

06-Mar-19
Fantastic! Congrats on the Moose.

06-Mar-19
Love it, congrats !

07-Mar-19
Great hunt and story, thanks for sharing!

I picked up an old, rust horseshoe last year in Arizona. Cool thing is it came off Wyatt Earp's horse! Hey, I wasn't far from Tombstone so who's to say it wasn't? ;)

• Sitka Gear