06-Mar-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
Must be killing machines

06-Mar-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo

06-Mar-19
....but they only kill the weak and sick. Predators need to be managed, that's really all that can be said. This guy was a killing machine!

06-Mar-19
Must be a trophy hunter.

06-Mar-19
He’s killing for sport. What a jerk. He doesn’t even eat the meat.

06-Mar-19
Tracked him down with hounds all I can say is good riddens

06-Mar-19
That's crazy!! Although I keep food in the fridge too. But dam that'll dent the deer population fast. Good job on getting him!

Were they all doe?

06-Mar-19
That I am not sure of was sent to me by email was killed in eastern part by Fort Ransom had them stacked up like cord wood in a bale pile

06-Mar-19

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Animal hugger! If this kitty was hanging out near Fort Collins CO, I doubt there would be any press conferences with a trail runner.

I am sure they was no blood involved when the lion killed the deer. Just no pictures of the lion posing with his kills! LOL!

06-Mar-19
Yeah I saw that earlier too. 10 deer and only one of them had a handful of bits out of it.

06-Mar-19
To me those look like classic winter kill of young Whitetail in a haystack.I'm not saying the lion didn't kill some though.Either way good job on getting him.

06-Mar-19
Yea, I really doubt that, that one lion killed and then stacked all of those deer in one place without any or none eaten. Does not seem reasonable. And I doubt that more than one lion might have killed and then stacked them in the same place. my best, Paul

06-Mar-19
OOOOH he's a killin' machine. He's got everything!

06-Mar-19
Another hunter under attack!

Maybe was in a rage!

06-Mar-19
And here I thought we had our first like Dahmer serial killing cat but maybe he was just a good Samaritan cleaning up all the winter kill a question that may never be answered

06-Mar-19
hay stack? on a ranch? 10 dead wt deer! what does the rancher know? my best, Paul

06-Mar-19
I’m going to have to call bull. Lions don’t do that. Especially stacking them all up in one spot like a squirrel. They cache a kill right at the kill site or close by and come back to feed. One at a time. Was he feeding on the deer? Possibly. But to blame the cat for killing them all is ridiculous if you know anything about lions.

06-Mar-19
Agree with Mule Power. No lion has ever been documented doing that.

06-Mar-19
The Ted Bundy of cats needs to go..THAT is the kind of thing we need to convey to the antis and general public. The need for predator control at its best. This story is a great tool for 'our' cause. And for Colorados.

06-Mar-19
My buddy Dean (houndsman) helped wildlife officials with lion study once in California. He said there was a big Tom that was collared that would kill a deer or a sheep every single day or two and only eat the liver and leave the rest of the animal.

Not saying that this is the case for what happened here. But stating it is possible for cats to kill and not consume the whole animal.

Regardless plaster this all over Colorado news. We need this as the antis are trying hard to ban lion and bobcat hunting

06-Mar-19
Cougars like to cover their kill. Appeared to be a bit of hay over some of the deer, but not as well covered as the typical cat kill I've seen. Doubt all 10 were cat kills. What did the tracks tell the photographer?

A cougar killed a 3-1/2 yr old California Bighorn behind the house this winter. It consumed the innards the first night and left it covered with snow and as much sage brush as it could find. The second morning there were a few cat tracks around, but the coyotes had been on the carcass too. All the meat, including the cheeks was gone and every bit of stomach and gut was eaten except for the contents. I tried to find him but no luck. Lost him in the cliffs that got too treacherous to go through without crampons with the ice and snow.

06-Mar-19
I worked on a ranch after high school. First job was cleaning up elk carcasses with a loader at a hay stack. That was after the '84 winter

06-Mar-19
This is hard to imagine a cat stacking up deer like that...

06-Mar-19
Just a lone cat migrating from Montana. There are no breeding populations in ND.................??

06-Mar-19
Just wanted a full freezer for the Winter...I can sympathize!

06-Mar-19
No no norsemen we have a breeding population in western ND in the bad lands a season every year some migrant east too. I just got off the phone with the game warden he said that was a set up feeding station for the deer a lot of deer coming into feed so maybe the cat made a game out of it.

06-Mar-19
Who cares if the cat did or didn't do it. Sensationalize it! Pull on the heart strings! This is why we need to hunt cats! All evidence points to a maniac killer!

06-Mar-19
Well fed house cats will hunt for "sport"; why not lions?

06-Mar-19
Just having fun. That is what our (MN) DNR tells the public after dozens of sightings and road kill finds every year

06-Mar-19
A ranch I worked on many years ago had a sheep ranch next to it. They had a female and 2 cubs come through there 1 night and kill 35 head down the bottom of a canyon. Mother teaching her young how to hunt. We caught them all in a matter of days.

06-Mar-19
Where at in ND was this?

06-Mar-19
Bowfreak, I wonder how many on this thread get your reference. I love it, I need it, I feed it...

06-Mar-19
I think Paul at the fort is on to something

06-Mar-19
Those deer obviously had CWD. The cat was just doing his part to stop the spread.

06-Mar-19
Copied this posting from a wildlife biologist... Sorry, I didn't save his name to give credit:

"Natural predators will kill at every opportunity, unless they are so satiated they cannot drag their fat guts across the ground.

When a resident predator population wipes out their resident food source (and they will, it's a proven fact of nature), they will: 1)migrate to find new prey. 2)kill and eat other resident predators(including each other). 3)starve and die.

This cycle is natural, it's as old as time, and you learn the basics of it in your first semester of Wildlife Mgmt. Usually they use the lynx/hare cycle as the example."

06-Mar-19
Thanks zbone that’s what happened those deer were coming to that cat thats where there only food source was. It was very easy for him to kill.This was not a staged kill site we have little or no antis here and no reason what so ever to do it!!!!

06-Mar-19
There has to be more to this story than conjecture! .

06-Mar-19
That ground looks too frozen for the cat to cover those deer much deeper. Ive seen sveral cat kills and they were all just covered partially with some debris, not really buried. With deer coming in to feed on hay in the hard winter NoDak is getting, this does look feasible to being an opportunistic tom. Its plenty big enough.

07-Mar-19

Buskill's embedded Photo
Buskill's embedded Photo
Bowfreak......

07-Mar-19
Bowfreak, I'm...a....high...way....starrrrrrrrrrr!

07-Mar-19
I don’t know what happened. I truly have no feeling on it other then say what Brotsky said. I have zero problems sharing with my wild hunters. But, they get the scraps in my book. Not hunters. And, that’s the resurgence we are seeing in these radical ideas of reintroducing large populations of predators. They know no boundaries, aren’t restricted by limits, landowners, or common sense. They kill. And for everyone that’s given excessive protection, there one less opportunity for a hunter across that predators life. And we all know they kill a lot of stuff.

07-Mar-19
I wouldn’t back away from posting this on every social media site. Sell it. That’s what anti’s do. We hunters have got to learn to play like we want to win. Instead of being the quite reason on these things.

07-Mar-19
Lion was probably a damn trophy hunter!

07-Mar-19

I know in today's age it is natural to be skeptical of anything that is posted on the internet. (At least I am cynical!) But I live here and am pretty familiar with the Fort Ransom area. It is part of a large river valley. (Sheyenne) In a good winter, most deer in the area will winter in the valley. (As there is not protection outside the valley). With the winter we are having, I can pretty much guarantee the deer are concentrated there. (IE No deer in cattail sloughs because they are full of snow). I will bet those deer are bedding close to the haybales to conserve energy. If I were a lion, I know where I would hang out! Per zbone post, he was doing what an opportunistic predator does. He doesn't think. He survives with his instincts. He kills prey. And when it keeps coming, he keeps killing. I am not mad about it. He was doing what lions do.

Per ND hunting zones, he was outside of normal habitat. Zone 2 is non traditional habitat. Hence the season is from 8/31 to 3/31 with unlimited quota. I highlighted the general area in SE ND where he was likely taken. No red flags in this story. (IMHO)

07-Mar-19

Z Barebow's Link
Earlier this year, here is another lion that was looking for a new place to hang out. Per map above, he was found in south central ND. (Bismarck)

07-Mar-19
Lions kill stuff. It is what they do.

Have hunted lions and hunted lion country most of my life. They definitely do go on killing sprees sometimes where it seems like they were just killing for fun. Especially females teaching their kittens to hunt.

Wolves are worse.

Glad someone killed that cat.

I agree, put the blood and guts up on social media and in front of as many urban non-hunters as possible.

Would love to see billboards with pictures of bloody messes left by wolves all up and down the front range of Colorado. Advertisements on all the local channels to show wolves taking down cow elk to eat the fetuses would be a nice touch. Maybe a few showing the exponential reductions of moose and elk in the areas where they brought Canadian wolves in. Might influence some folks.

Every hunting/conservation organization in Colorado should be pitching in for a focused advertising campaign to educate the public on what predators do and how destructive they can be.

Take a page out of the anti-hunter's playbook...

07-Mar-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
Another cat kill in ND I hate to report this but I must. Went out to feed the deer and this was what I found at the bait site. No conspiracy theory here I know who the culprit was a.k.a. Blackie my barn cat heck of a mouser but don’t want him thrill killing. Although he ate most of it

07-Mar-19
Some guys on here must like Deep Purple. Me too.

07-Mar-19
Me too!

08-Mar-19
Only a highway star could make it that far from 'normal habitat'.

08-Mar-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Simple. He was baiting em.

Who said the cats dragged em there and "stacked" em up? Deer come to haystack for food. All the cat has to do is hang out. Kill one or two..... they come back tomorrow for food. Kill another. Rinse... repeat. Cat's got it made..... better than a food plot.

Predators kill for "fun" all the time. Wolves killed near a whole herd of sheep in the pic, barely ate any. Killed a bachelor herd of bighorn rams in the snow at a mountain pass I recall hearing about. Again, hardly ate any. If you've seen cats play with mice..... it's what they do. It moves the right way, you kill it.

08-Mar-19
Cats don't even prefer carrion I didn't think. They like fresh meat. So they must be pretty set on liver and to hell with the rest. Just kill another one, eat fresh, and move on when they are all wiped out. They are supposed to be the most advanced predators in the evolutionary chain. Can't be that smart to kill off all their food supply, taking only the 'best' parts.

08-Mar-19
This ND cat was killed on land I hunt. The hay was there to feed the deer. The cat would jump off the hay to get the deer in the deep snow then drag them into his fortress in the stack. There were a total of 10 deer found, of which only 3 had parts eaten. A friend of mine actually shot the cat Sunday with a rifle, but not mortally, they then brought dogs in Monday to try their luck. This cat had found a haven of deer and made his home in their food source, so he had the endless buffet right at his paws.

08-Mar-19
All the time I've spent in the mtns over the years the only lion I've seen was at night in my headlamp while hiking back to camp just before midnight. Watched him for a minute or two and he disappeared. Would like to get a good look in daylight sometime. Seen numerous wolves. Live among em. Was up to my shack yesterday to pull snow off the roof. Plenty fresh moose sign in the deep snow. No deer. they migrate out of that locale when the snow hits a foot. Good wolf killing field just up river a couple miles though. 2 fresh wolf tracks right by my shack. Both went by the campfire ring and peed on a bench and then walked right by corner of the shack. 3' of snow. About a soft foot on top, a foot kind of firm, and bottom foot sugar snow. That firm layer allowed the wolves to travel fairly easy. When I go back I'll snowshoe after them to see if I can find where they had moose dinner.

08-Mar-19

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo

ND String Puller's Link
Pretty easy pickings for them. Our neighbor had 2 cats living in his hay stack a few years ago, he was able to shoot one. The link tells of another neighbor that had one in his barn. They definitely are opportunistic when establishing new territory.

12-Mar-19
Deep Purple is one of my favorite bands, and their "Slaves and Masters", album is one of the best albums of all time...8^)

12-Mar-19

Z Barebow's Link
Related to the other thread that blew up. Words matter. This article was printed in Fargo paper quoting hunter.

12-Mar-19

Z Barebow's Link
And this is an opinion piece that someone chimed in regarding the killing of the lion. If the author is who I think, he is an outdoorsman (fisherman). It gives you a glimpse into the mind of the non hunting public. I do not know his viewpoints on hunting. Even though North Dakota is a very red state, Fargo is a coin flip. If this were CO, you would have numerous opinion pieces much more harsh.

12-Mar-19
So here's what we do next time....If one of us kills a big ole' awnry cougar, and we're interviewed about it, just tell the reporter you were just minding your own business, when you noticed this testosterone enraged, MAGA hat wearin', cat attacking a bunch of minority deer who were identifying as transgender polar bears, and you felt compelled to take action. Let them know hate, racism, and intolerance has no place to hide...not even in wild animal populations! :)

12-Mar-19
the opinion piece is right from the play book of HSUS. Actually a spoke person for HSUS, a"biologist" will be presenting to the Colorado Wildlife Commission this Thursday morning in Denver, his study/opinion why mt lions need to be free and wild and not be hunted, especially with the use of dogs. This is the same group wants to ban lion, bear hunting and introduce wolves where ever they can.

12-Mar-19
That's funny...... an anti-hunter accusing hunters of "anthropomorphism"...... or giving human traits and feelings to animals. Apparently they're nothing like Doc Holiday, their hypocrisy really has no bounds......

And claiming that cats NEVER kill for sport. When the facts and evidence of the case he's whining about prove otherwise, with 10 deer killed and but bits and pieces eaten out of a couple. They can have natural facts before their eyes and still refuse to see them, acknowledge them.....

12-Mar-19
TD, you are so correct. On the HSUS website, they state, " mt lions are strong, can jump as high as a two story building, etc, etc, and then they finish with this statement. ie, Did you know that mountain lions purr just like you cat at home"..?

12-Mar-19
There was a case here in CA a few decades ago where a single lion killed something like 24 sheep in one night.

12-Mar-19

Matt's Link
Article in the Sacramento Bee that references a CA mountain lion that killed for sport.

"Vaughn and her neighbors in the rugged mountains behind Malibu’s beaches blame this single lion for wiping out more than 100 goats, alpacas, sheep and other animals, sometimes dozens at a time. He rarely ate anything from their corpses, instead leaving them to rot in their pens."

12-Mar-19
This cat had it easy. He killed because it was easy. Why would he eat frozen meat when there’s plenty of fresh meat right there. These idiots can spout whatever they want, but mountain lions do not belong in The eastern part of ND. It’s a pipe dream to think they will co-exist with humans here.

12-Mar-19
What they'd really like is to keep one in their city apartment or condo..... but the building rules and all.......

12-Mar-19

canepole's embedded Photo
canepole's embedded Photo
Don't know what happened for sure but just remember... "if you're not first, you're last!"

• Sitka Gear