elmer@laptop 27-Aug-19
Mtn Htr16 27-Aug-19
elmer@laptop 28-Aug-19
Mtn Htr16 29-Aug-19
elmer@laptop 29-Aug-19
Mtn Htr16 25-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 26-Sep-19
08-Mar-19
Has anyone hunted Unit 13E in Alaska for moose? I am in no way looking for spots to hunt, just general info on the unit i.g. how crowded was it, were you seccussful, how was the weather.

Thanks in advance!

08-Mar-19
Isnt 13E a draw for NR? DM339. There were 25 bull tags issued in 2017, 12 hunters participated, and 5 were killed.

From the research Ive done, the AFG has done extensive predator control in all of 13 and moose populations is rebounding

08-Mar-19
cnelk,

You’re correct, it is a draw unit for a NR. I should have stated that I drew a tag in the unit and will be going hunting in September. I will be going with someone that knows the unit, just looking for some personal experiences/stories....again not asking for spots to hunt at all.

I’m super pumped as this will be my first trip to Alaska and first time to hunt for Moose.

08-Mar-19
In my opinion, all of 13 is good. However, anywhere accessible by vehicles is going to see some pressure. Guys spend years up here trying to find that honey hole and then hope noone follows their trail in there. Lots of expensive rigs that still make logistics of getting there a multi-day/multi-rig affair. If I was coming up blind and having not hunted up here--spend the money on an air taxi--get away from the crowds and enjoy. But, you better start looking for transporters. The good ones fill up fast--most probably already full for this season--keep calling though. I definitely wouldn't count on being successful by hunting from the road. That is a good tag you have, but you will be working for it to find a legal bull. You will increase your odds of success (if success is defined as harvesting a legal bull) if you can find someone to fly you out. Good Luck!

08-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here’s a 13 bull. Not 13E but not too far away

08-Mar-19
That'll do!

08-Mar-19
Thanks for The info gentleman! I cannot wait for this hunt!

08-Mar-19
That’s a heck of a bull! Great fronts and palms

24-Jun-19
Has anyone been out to the 13’s this summer?

24-Jun-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Yep!

24-Jun-19
Nice work Nick!

03-Aug-19
That’s a nice haul!

What temperatures should I be planning on first 10 days of September. Would you guys recommend insulated or uninsulated boots? Rubber or leather?

Thanks for the info!

04-Aug-19
If you're going to be walking, you don't want insulated boots in September. IMO, insulated boots are for under 10 degrees F and you won't see those temps in September.

05-Aug-19
Have you figured out the location you’ll be hunting? Flying, walking, boating or four wheeler at any rate it can be miserable that time of year. Have fun it’s a awesome place. Take plenty of gear both waders and good leather boots. The Native Cooperation own big tracts of land, look at the location before you venture out. Good luck, there’s some huge bulls in the area.

05-Aug-19
Cnelk... 12 people hunted and 5 were killed! So the bears have nearly a 50% success rate on humans. I’m hunting somewhere else!

24-Aug-19
I’m still do not know exactly where we will be Hunting. I do know the closest town is Healey.

We will be driving in the. Taking a side by side.

The weather looks like it’s going to be good.

Is it possible to get away from the crowds in this u it without flying?

Did that fire affect this area?

Thanks

24-Aug-19
Google alaska fire map and see where the fires have burned recently. Getting away from a crowd on an "established" atv trail is near impossible. If you guys access a "good" area then hike a mile or two away from atv access in good habitat I doubt you will regret it.

24-Aug-19
Thanks the dude!

27-Aug-19
fire is south of talkeetna. not affecting the area you will be in. if you are taking 4 wheelers in, make sure you get off and away from them and you will have better luck. (me and my friends hunt a 4 wheeler heavy area, but always get off and go anywhere from 1/4 mile to a mile from the wheelers and we see more moose than most. ) if it is a good trail, you will have lots of company. be patient and call. also, glass a ton. take scent and scent rags and this will help bring in more bulls. I hunt unit 13 almost every year in the next unit over, 13b. unfortunately i have to use a rifle again this year due to shoulder and elbow issues. I will be up there this year from september10th-20th! Good luck!

27-Aug-19
Elmer, I really appreciate the information! This is my first trip to Alaska and don’t really know what to expect. I’ve usually got everything g planned out, but not on this on, ready for the adventure! Good luck to you!

28-Aug-19
One other thought...it has been the warmest driest summer ever, so I think concentrating on hidden water sources will be helpful. I was just looking at the long range forecast, and Sept 1-7 it is going to be 55-60 degrees for high temps in Cantwell. That is not for the moose, so I think best luck will be early morning and at last light. From 1st-10th there is only 10-30% chance of rain so unfortunately the hot dry trend is continuing.

29-Aug-19
Thanks for the Info!

Do you recommend sitting water?

What is the temp range that gets them up and moving?

29-Aug-19
I have never just sat on water without scenting and calling. But being near wet/swampy muddy can help. All it can take to make a moose happy is some cold mud or a small seep of water. Temps in mid 50's and above can make moose movement stall. I have found moose are most active when night time temps get down near freezing or colder and day time temps are below 50. I have found the moose tend to like water/small ponds, lakes, creeks and swamps hidden in the trees and low holes as opposed to larger open lakes and swamps. You will see far more cows out in the open than bulls until the rut really gets going. I am going the last 10 days of the season this year. I went early last year and saw fewer Bulls due to the warmer temps. I also like later because the bulls are more into the rut and will come to calls and scent much more readily.

I am not sure what to expect this year since it has been so hot and dry.

25-Sep-19
Elmer,

How did you end up doing in 13? We hunted hard but came home employ handed. Saw lots of cows, but only a few bulls.

26-Sep-19
Mtnhnter16. This year was a tough hunt for me. I didn't get anything. Between the heat,drought, number of grizzly bears and waay more people in the area than normal, I did not get anything. In 9 days saw only 3 bulls and 7 cows. But, 1 guy in our camp managed to get a spike bull, and another got a 61 inch bull. Everyone in the area said how tough the hunting was and that they didn't see much. The bear problem in our area has gotten way worse, and 2 days before I left someone I know shot a 9 foot grizz only about 1/2 mile from where we hunt. And there were 5 grizz shot in this area this spring. Despite that, we saw fresh tracks every day, and the tracks which are usually limited to the river bottom area, were as much as 4 miles farther away from the river bottom. Still it was a fun hunt.

• Sitka Gear