Trial153 17-Mar-19
Trial153 18-Mar-19
SoDakSooner 19-Mar-19
houndy65 19-Mar-19
Archer1775 25-Mar-19
wkochevar 25-Mar-19
Darrell 19-Jun-19
10-Mar-19
Time to buy a new sleeping pad. With not drawing WY this year, I'm going to make another CO OTC run and plan on sleeping at least a few nights out from camp. I'm a side sleeper and I would rather carry a little extra weight to sleep better but at the same time want something as light as possible. I'm also 240#s but have lost 15# since the first of the year and my goal for September is 220#. What do you have that you like? What have you bought and wished you hadn't?

10-Mar-19
Klymit.com

10-Mar-19
I sleep like a baby on my Neoair pad. It is super light and compact. Some complain about the noise it makes when moving at night but I have no problem what-so-ever!

10-Mar-19
NeoAir Xtherm. It is expensive but ultra light and durable.

10-Mar-19
I’m a side sleeper too. So for me a quality thicker inflatable is the only option. I’ve had an Exped Downmat for about 5 years now and I love it. You won’t blow it up all the way. Well.... I do but once I lay on it I let air out until it’s the perfect “cushiness”.

I also have the sleeve that goes over it that enables it to convert into a chair with a back rest. At the end of a day of elk hunting I really like to lean back when I sit to unwind. The sleeve also helps protect the pad nicely.

The pad has the highest R value of any on the market due to the down insulation inside. Love it!

10-Mar-19
Joe is right. The Downmat is a comfortable and warm pad, but heavier.

If you want to save some weight, you can try a Neoair x-therm. It's 20 0z for a large and if you'd like some extra cushion and versatility you can throw a Neoair X-Lite Torso in the mix for an extra 8 oz. Combine them and even a princess will feel no peas. And a leaking valve will not leave you flat in the back country... just make sure to dot them with a little silicone and I use the straps form my quilt so they stay together.

10-Mar-19
Thermarest Neoair is 12 ounces and works great for me, even in rocky spots inside a pack tent. I side sleep some too and you can keep your hip out of the rocks. Insulation is adequate for CO bow elk season too...or BC sheep hunting in August. That said I have a better insulated Thermarest that weighs 16 ounces for colder weather that is just as comfortable to sleep on.

My Thermarests have never leaked and I bought my first for an Alaskan moose/caribou trip in '84. They have evolved to thicker and lighter and still hold up. I believe they still have a lifetime warranty too.

I had a leaky Big Agnes pad....not what you want on a 14 day backpack sheep hunt, even though REI did take it back. It wasn't one hole, but rather about a thousand across the lower 1/4 of the pad...lack of QC on their fabric I guess. No more from that company.

Exped makes nice pad(s). I owned one for a bit before giving it to friend. Slightly heavier than a Neoair but equally as comfortable.

10-Mar-19
Klymit has been good for me.

10-Mar-19
Klymit`s have incorporated these "knockout areas" for side sleepers, similar to those donut pads for your rear ends. These eliminate the pressure point areas you normally get with a standard pad. These designs also reduce the weight of the pad.

10-Mar-19
Take a look at the SeatoSummit Comfort light. I've used it the past few years and really like it. It's lite, has good R value, and I also like to sleep on my side. https://seatosummitusa.com/products/comfort-light-insulated-mat

10-Mar-19
I like my Klymit pads. I have a full weight version and the Lite. Both are excellent for side sleeping.

10-Mar-19
I use a big agnes mystic 15 degree. It takes a 20 in pad in the pad sleeve. I double pads, I use a 20 inch Z-fold thermarest and use an original klymit skeleton pad between bag and bivy sack.. whole sleep system weighs 5 lbs, including light tarp shelter

10-Mar-19
I use the original NeoAir, with no insulation. Very light and compact. I also always have a Thermarest Z-lite folding pad, that I put under it for more protection and warmth. It's a safeguard against an inflatable failure and great to carry when hunting for a seat or glassing pad.

10-Mar-19
And Ambush's Z-lite bailed me out when I left my Neoair in the truck hours away on an October caribou hunt last fall. I always have a glassing pad, but just take 3 or 4 sections of a Z-lite.

10-Mar-19
Ultralight Cots are amazing .. but certainly not as warm as sleeping on the ground with a good exped..

11-Mar-19
I slept out in the open or in a tent about 60 nights last year, but I wasn't usually backpacking. If I'm not backpacking I use a Helinox cot, a full sized Thermarest and a Mountain Hardware foam pad. On a bivy hunt for 1 or 2 nights I use the two pads, but not the cot. On a true extended backpack hunt I'd go more spartan with just one pad, but I rarely commit to that long of a backpack hunt. I like to have a basecamp out of my truck and the option to do a quick overnight or two.

11-Mar-19
How do guys here like the products from Klymit like sleeping bags and the pads???? I am know able to carry there products but have no experience with there bags and pads

11-Mar-19
I'm a side sleeper and a weight weenie. To me carrying extra weight to be extra comfortable is worth it. It all depends on your tolerance or intolerance for suffering. I use an Exped Synmat UL pad with Schnozzel bag and a Sea to Summit Aeros Premium inflatable pillow. The Schnozzel bag makes it easy to fill your mattress without getting out of breath, which is especially important for a thicker pad that needs more air than a thin pad. The pad is 4" thick and the pillow is 5", which I think is about ideal for side sleeping. I also use a lightweight quilt.

11-Mar-19
I had an older version of BA pad. Similar to Kurt. POS. I couldn't find the leaks in it, but I would be on the ground half way through the night. BA did replace it and it was updated version and it has held up. But if I were starting over, it would be something else. For newbies reading this thread who want to be lightweight freaks. A pad is NO place to sacrifice comfort to benefit weight (In my opinion). A good night sleep is one of your best hunting assets.

11-Mar-19
I have the Exped Synmat UL LW (which stands for long and wide) and I really like it.

I also have a Thermarest Neoair which is extremely light but I don't like that it's narrow and if I sleep on my back, my shoulders and arms hang off of the edges of the pad. I'd rather pack the few extra ounces of the Exped for a wider and more comfortable pad.

11-Mar-19
Klymit for backpacking. Foam pad, thermarest and a cot for truck base camp, with a montana sleep system bag.

11-Mar-19
I use the insulated Klymit Static V-Luxe. I sleep on my side and the extra room and cushioning on the Luxe along with the R value makes it a decent pad, although a little on the heavy side. I use it in combination with a Nemo Disco 15 degree bag and it's a comfortable combo for a guy that can only sleep on his side. If you are a side sleeper like me the Nemo bag is a must have!

11-Mar-19
Exped are top of line I have three, synmat UL, and then down mat 7 and 9.

I have had good and bad with Thermarest. Neo air was warm, comfortable but noisy. Had prolite for summer stuff, not hunting temps.

Had a klymit insulated static V lite, comfortable but froze my ass off with a quilt. I dont think their baffle design lends themselves to quilts. With a bag your fine. Had a BA that woudlnt stay inflated.

A pad I have now that been very soild and worth a look , warm, light weight, thick and comfortable is a Nemo tensor....been excellent.

13-Mar-19
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Klemmit Static V-Lux. Now I just need Cabelas to put it on sale between now and September as I have a bunch of points there. :)

13-Mar-19
Darrell, check out E-bay. You can get customer returns directly from Klymit pretty cheap and they are 100% good to go.

13-Mar-19
I have Exped and Big Agnes. You can get a little more insulation with the xped. I have had the exped for 5 years and the BA for a couple. the both still hold air just fine. I sleep just fine on some pretty rocky places with both of them.

13-Mar-19
I'm a lot lighter than you ;o) But I sleep extremely comfortably on Klymit Inertia X whether I'm on my side or back. Super light too.

13-Mar-19
Klymit V Luxe is the cats pajamas. Side sleeper here too.

17-Mar-19
10 yrs with an Exped...not the lightest but excellent quality.

I too had a BA Q core- didn't make it one trip- Typical overseas junk. My buddy dumped his Klymit...says it sleeps cold, FWIW

The Thermarest pads are good quality too.

I don't know about recent Sea to Summit pads.

17-Mar-19
Klymit is my choice. Static V and Luxe insulated. I sold all my others when I talked with Klymit at SCI. They are Prohunting and the others would rather hunters all go away.

17-Mar-19

17-Mar-19
Good info to know Trophyseeker.

17-Mar-19
The only complaint I have on my ExPed is the weight as Bruce said previously. A sacrifice I'm willing to make. Love the built in pump as well.

17-Mar-19
FWIW....I used a Thermarest on the ice cap for a week and it worked well. Didn't feel any of the cold from the ice.

17-Mar-19

18-Mar-19
Nemo has a collaboration line with First Lite directly marketing to hunters.

19-Mar-19
I got my Klymit direct (at the great outdoors show in PA) on a show sale and got on the mailing list. I also have one of their x pillows. I know they aren't necessarily the lightest but they pack REALLY small. I'm a side sleeper at times and it was very comfortable.

19-Mar-19
look at costco

25-Mar-19
I have a Klymit Static V pad and have had good luck with it. However, If I was to go again I would by the Neoair Xlite. A little more money but less weight and higher R value. I have a 25 degree bag with a liner that adds 25 degrees of warmth. I camped this last winter and it got down to 5 degrees and I was freezing. I thought it was my whole kit but I went out the next time with a foam pad and it got to 7 degrees and I was fine. So I believe the R-Value of the Klymit is too low for low temp camping.

TL;DR: The KLymit is cheap and effective but the Neoair Xlite is warmer and worth the money.

25-Mar-19
FYI, Camofire has the Static V Insulated full sized on sale for $60 today (3/25)....looks like not many left if you're interested.

19-Jun-19
Bumping to the top for the sake of the new similar post :)

• Sitka Gear