NorCalVineyards 12-Mar-19
BOWUNTR 12-Mar-19
NorCalVineyards 13-Mar-19
Bowman 14-Mar-19
Heat 14-Mar-19
KHunter 31-Mar-19
NorCalVineyards 01-Apr-19
11-Mar-19
Drew Unit 8... Didnt know I did until the odds were released in the portal. My card didnt even get charged until the 7th and I didnt notice it until after. Took all weekend to soak it in and now i'm ready to begin the work.

I've gotten some great help from Bowsite over the years and i've done my best to return the favor whenever I could be of help. I am willing to go guided - 14 days, or DIY 14 days. I live in Northern CA, 12 hour drive from the unit. I could make possibly two scouting trips this summer if needed. I've killed a 390" and a 330" with my bow. I am looking for a above average bull with this tag and willing to go home with my tag (i'll keep the memories of course). To maximize the opportunity at at a big bull, what would you recommend? I can pull a trailer to camp or stay in one provided by an outfitter.

Excited, committed and blessed.

11-Mar-19
Never hunted 8,but hunted 6a many times.Lots of Elk.Good Luck!

11-Mar-19
Order a FlatLines map for Unit 8 before your scouting trips! And make sure you get the current corresponding Motor Vehicle Use Map from the forest service as well ...

11-Mar-19
okay.

11-Mar-19
There has been a world record in unit 8 but I bet 390 will still be ur largest when u go home

11-Mar-19
I live down the road... scout it during deer season. Some whopper Coues Whitetail in there... Ed F

11-Mar-19
Your probably right Swampokie. I guess it starts with finding one or two and then sticking to the program, easier said then done sometimes, agreed. Ed - you run any cameras in there?

12-Mar-19
Tony, my buddy drew the same tag this year. I’ve heard great things about the unit. Maybe see you there!

12-Mar-19
The biggest problem with 8 is people. There are lots of recreationalist on top of the elk hunters and all of their support. There are maintained dirt roads that allow easy access across the unit. We camped on these but would drive a half hour to get to hunting spots. There is some rough country and it is possible to get away from the crowds. FWIW if you can hire a reputable guide that would likely be your best bet for a big bull. There are several outfitters that offer a scouting service too. Best of luck.

12-Mar-19
Sycamore canyon may be the spot to leave the road hunters

12-Mar-19
I see that Swampokie, looks to be deep and steep. Kyl - I sure hope so! Congrats to your bro. Creed - That seems to be the common thread I keep hearing about 8, lots of vacation go'ers and plenty of tags make for some intense pressure at times. Thanks to the fellas who sent me the pm's.

12-Mar-19
Big Dan is your man when it comes to 8...

;-)

12-Mar-19
Thanks for the heads up.

12-Mar-19
There has been a world record in unit 8 but I bet 390 will still be ur largest when u go home

12-Mar-19
You said that.

12-Mar-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
I used to scout it a lot for Coues Whitetails... not so much anymore. Ed F

13-Mar-19
Some good growth on that velvet stud Ed

14-Mar-19
I couldnt log into the portal so I eventually called today. Looks like my dad and I are headed to AZ 6b in sept. Only took 8 yrs since last time I went. Seems like it has been 50yrs though. Man these states are taking forever to get elk tags. Took 5 yrs for me the last time, Wonder how long it will take till next time?

14-Mar-19
Wish you big congrats Tony and the best of luck. Never hunted 8 so no advice but if you give it your all for the whole season you never know what you might turn up in that unit. Plenty of potential. Congrats again!

31-Mar-19

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
Never tire of seeing this sliding out of an envelope from AZ! Every 10 years or so.

Good luck in unit 8. Loved hunting that back in 2008 or so. I have a so-called lesser unit this go round and Damn happy about it.

01-Apr-19

NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo
NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo
Confirmed it yesterday

• Sitka Gear