Nick Muche 12-Mar-19
midwest 12-Mar-19
deserthunter 12-Mar-19
Forest bows 14-Mar-19
Forest bows 14-Mar-19
Kurt 14-Mar-19
cmbbulldog 14-Mar-19
11-Mar-19
Ok so I don’t typically come to the internet for advice, but the Bowsite crew is like none other. And besides the Kifaru stuff is just tough as I haven’t handled much of it. I’m getting ready to place a larger order as I only want to pay shipping once to Canada. I recently bought an older duplex frame (26”) with an MMR bag. The bag was massive so I sold it for what I paid for the pair,.. NICE. So now I’m sitting with the frame for nothing. I just sold my Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 and 5200 as well. Liked those, but I seem to much prefer the hip belt on the Kifaru. With excuses aside, maybe just time for a change up too, well, just because I can. Kifaru has so many options which is what probably makes this difficult so I thought I’d ask for some feedback. Thanks for reading along, and because this post is so long I’ll add some pics to ease the pain..

11-Mar-19

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo

11-Mar-19
Here’s what I’m looking for: 1.)Something to mount to the duplex as a bigger hunt pack. I’ve hunted moose a couple times, plan on doing a lot more, and I’ve got an elk hunt coming up this fall. In reality I’ve never found myself needing humongous amounts of space as I’m not backpacking a camp in, neither will my elk hunt really this fall (horses). 3000-4000 CI would likely fit the bill, however I could be persuaded into something larger that could compress nicely. I’ll likely either way add a cargo panel to the order to make the duplex more versatile, so I even thought about just using that in combination with a big dry bag and some exterior pockets mounted on the cargo panel but that seems like it could become a pain. So I should probably just do a cargo panel as an accessory and put a real bag on it. Id like to have a basic bag with some exterior organization for immediate hunting needs as well as a spot to easily and quickly throw in a tripod and bugle tube or other items like such

11-Mar-19

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
A 5000 CI muskeg could be real nice for the bottom of the boat and in general wet weather moose hunting (waterproof) but I don’t care for lack of pockets, and I’m not a huge fan of the bulkiness of adding a ton of pockets after the fact.

11-Mar-19

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
The Hoodlum(6500CI) actually looks pretty slick with the zippered integrated spotting scope pockets on the side. I like this as there’s some organization that’s streamlined, but the overall size of the pack has me concerned, should I be? I don’t want a massive pack

11-Mar-19

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Then there’s the Mountain Warrior(5750CI), I like the one large exterior pocket, nice and simple and I guess I could throw a tripod in the compression straps on the side. This one too has me a little worried on size.

11-Mar-19
I would text or call Aron, tell him exactly what your looking for and he will give you a solid.

11-Mar-19

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
14er
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
14er
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Shape Charge
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Shape Charge
2.)I was also thinking about doing a separate day pack all together. I’ve got a couple ways to go about this. A lot of this pack would be used to hunt whitetails and general rambling. My style of hunting there is I haul my lone wolf and sticks with camera gear into every sit. The reason I didn’t like the Kuiu there was that the waist belts were stiff and hard to contain in the tree once I get there so that they were sticking out like crazy. I’m almost contemplating switching the duplex frame over to the cargo panel for this season and throwing the stand/sticks along with a large fanny pack into that and synching it all down for the ride. Then when I get to the tree, leave the framed cargo panel at the base and climb up with the fanny, slick? Having said all that, I still think a smaller run and gun pack would be nice to have without being committed to a full framed pack. I could use it for scouting, setting trail cams, possibly still on adventure hunts for day hunting from camp, maybe even random other outdoor activities in the summer and winter, and for all this I thought the 14er(2400CI) or the Shape Charge(2050CI) seemed pretty slick.

11-Mar-19
Maybe look into a Kuiu Icon Pro like a 5200 or something and then add an 1850 as a day pack option. I know this guy in Manitoba with that stuff he straight up kills everything and has same initials as you so it’s gotta be good mojo

11-Mar-19
Calling Aron is SOLID advice. IMO, the Mountain Warrior is tough to beat. I love the front pocket in daypack mode. Muskeg is a great option if you like a big bag, go Hoodlum if you want more organization. You really can’t go wrong, just pick the one that fits your needs.

14’er is a great travel/daypack. I bought a 14’er and a Tarryall and eventually sold the 14’er and still use the heck out of the Tarryall.

No need to overthink. No matter what you get they’ll come with something bigger and better next year making you regret your decision. ;)

11-Mar-19
I have a timberline 2 and a reckoning. Both good packs with lots of options. Good luck with your choice and hunting. Hope the Montana draw gods are on your side. Hunt

11-Mar-19
Duplex Timberline 2 is a good one. I really like mine. Only thing is you’ll have to find a used one now. Using it more and more. Works great as a trip bag or as a day bag when compressed. For day only hunting, it’s going to be hard to beat the 22 mag. Of today’s offerings, the mountain warrior would be my choice. But, I don’t need 6000-7000 ci either.

11-Mar-19
I bought the Fulcrum last yr. I wanted a pack to do it all and I've been super happy with it.

11-Mar-19
Are you sure it was an mmr not an Emr? Most of the packs your considering are larger than my mmr. I recently upgraded to a crater with a native for a lid it’s huge big enough to carry anything I’ll ever need to but also compresses down to near nothing. I also agree through that calling or sending Aron an email is your best bet. Iv always gotten a response from him within a couple hours even if my question wasn’t kifaru related.

11-Mar-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
5 days worth of food, camp AND a tree stand with safety gear.
YZF-88's embedded Photo
5 days worth of food, camp AND a tree stand with safety gear.
I have the duplex frame and the Mountain Warrior pack. Man I'll never go back. It'll pack a spike camp in for a few days. Also, for me it carries a load so well I don't even use a dedicated pack frame for meat anymore. The MW packs down very flat for a day pack and will get bigger than you'll ever needed it (most likely).

I have a FULL deboned deer in this pack.

11-Mar-19
You might check out the Nomad 2.

I currently use the Nomad 2, grab it, guide lid, and dry bag. Its extremely versatile, there seems to be nothing I can't figure out how to strap on and carry.

For day hunts the nomad and guide lid give me enough organization. Its very convenient to be able to throw larger or bulkier items, (like a spotter or binos on a tripod) between the wings and just go. I just use the dry bag to throw my camp and food in, it gets dumped after the hike in and left at camp.

For treestand hunting I can carry my stand and sticks easily and still have the nomad wings and guide lid available and uncompressed for calls, extra layers, lunch, etc.

I've been really happy with it!

12-Mar-19
I've got several. But hands down my favorite is my 22 mag, with 2 medium pouches on the back. The size is perfect, comfortable and versatile. An elk quarter fits nicely in it also. I keep spotting scope on 1 side, and tripod in other side.....when needed. The inside, side mesh pocket is where my license and tags go. Rain gear, puffy and water in main bag. Headlamp, kill kit, and first aid in top compartment. Gloves and beanie in 1 pouch on outside. Snacks/lunch in other pouch. For longer trips I can stuff alot more in. Day hunting, it's nice and compact. Great for a treestand as well. My 2nd favorite is the reckoning. It will handle anything you need to do. Versatile for many different types or lengths of hunts.

12-Mar-19
I hunt in Alaska and most of my hunts are a week or longer so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I love the muskeg 7000. In general I’ve always preferred rolling with a bigger bag since they cinch down to damn near nothing so easily.

12-Mar-19
I went with the Mountain Warrior pack. Have not packed a moose with it yet, but it has been great for packing elk. It will definitely hold more meat than I can physically haul. Bought it primarily as a meat hauler to compliment my day pack. Very first hunt with the Mountain Warrior, the day pack quickly became obsolete. Tough pack to beat IMO!

12-Mar-19

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I have the reckoning and use it just like it’s pictured. With roll top lid it’s 5000 ci. If you roll the lid out it’s 6500. If you need more add a 1200 ci guide lid. I think the 5000 is a good size for what I do. I wouldn’t mind getting an apollo bag for the hunts in units where it’s hard to get more than 3/4 mile from the truck. You can pick those up on Rokslide for 80$.

12-Mar-19
Thanks a bunch guys, a call to Aron is definitely in order. I don't want to waste his time and want to have it fairly narrowed down before I do. Having guys here that are hardcore about bowhunting means they are definitely in no way unqualified opinions. Different guys hunt different styles, so I really think that info in invaluable.

I think after the comments above, I am leaning to the mountain warrior for my pack that'll go on the duplex.

Anyone have the cargo panel that can share some insight into how they like it?

Kota, I do have a line on a second hand Tarryall, but hadn't considered it much. Can you tell me a little more about what it is that you like about it and how you use it?

12-Mar-19
Can't go wrong with kif. I love my Mountain warrior. Day pack mode is a game changer. Add the guide lid if you need more cu. The pack will hold more weight than you can.

12-Mar-19
I sold my Mtn Warrior bag and replaced it with a Nomad II w/ grab it. I had a lid on my Mtn. Warrior and didn't think it would be needed on the Nomad II. I still have enough room without the lid but I plan to add a lid again in the future. I might pack in and spend a night or two at max but normally I will be truck camping. The Nomad II works perfect for me.

12-Mar-19
Carrying those big heavy loads will give you a fast-track to back problems in the future.

12-Mar-19
Packed out two mountain goats with my Muskeg 7000 and Ultra Lite frame last week as well as a sheep, 4 deer and a few caribou last fall. The pack material can be a bit noisy in cold weather but for my use that is a non issue. It being basically waterproof is a huge plus for me. Never had any issues with the Kifaru frames, most comfortable I've ever used. Put me in the category that a bigger pack is always preferred over a smaller CI volume as well.

12-Mar-19
I have a cargo panel and run 2 large pockets on the outside with a guide lid. It's a great system for out west. I keep spike camp in a dry bag and I can just stuff it in the CP if I want to spike out.

Only time I use it for whitetail hunting is if I'm hauling in a stand and sticks or I need to pack a deer out.

12-Mar-19
Remember resale value is pretty good on this stuff, Pick one and try it.

14-Mar-19

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
I like my woods man with guide lid and pockets.

14-Mar-19
I use a meat shelf and guide lid on my frame as a day pack

14-Mar-19
Reckoning with Guide Lid and 2 belt pouches, Gunbearer (to haul bow) and water bottle pouch for me. I sometimes just use the Guide Lid as a small day pack when on long stalks, and will drop it off for the second or third trips when packing meat.

I also take my old Kifaru KU 5200 Ultralite on day hunts sometimes. It will pack meat but not very comfortable with +60# loads. I do like the 3# weight of the frame and pack, and like it for the Gunbearer (Bowbearer) and ability to carry a load as required.

14-Mar-19
Mountain warrior with guide lid!

• Sitka Gear