Bou'bound 12-Mar-19
elk yinzer 12-Mar-19
12-Mar-19

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo

12-Mar-19
From the woods to the dinner table? :)

12-Mar-19
I'm guessing it missed shoulder on both sides and that it barely knew it was hit. Probably jumped, bolted 20 yds, stopped and stood still until it's back legs got weak, and then toppled over to his left side.

12-Mar-19

12-Mar-19
Half a mile

12-Mar-19
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say 1.1 miles.

12-Mar-19
looks like a quartering towards shot, deer went 200-250 yards

12-Mar-19
Depends on where the exit is.

12-Mar-19
400 yds then you jumped it and it went another 400 yds you backed out and found it piled up next day total of 800 yds!

12-Mar-19
1936 yards

12-Mar-19
I find it more relevant to discuss how long it lived. I've seen gut shot deer recovered within 50 yards given the proper wait time and I've seen double lungs go 400. Its all dependent on the reaction after the shot.

12-Mar-19
775 yds. You thought it was perfect but didn't see it go down. Tracked within half and hour and jumped it.

12-Mar-19
The deer went 1.1 miles. I got down 30 minutes after shot inspected arrow, looked to be liver hit, and immediately backed out in opposite direction deer ran. I do not trail at night if I don’t see/hear animal go down as long as it’s cool enough where the meat won’t spoil and we don’t have coyotes. I don’t know if arrow deflected? Deer was in process of moving but arrow exited below sternum. I would’ve thought it would exit other side ribcage. Shot was 22 yds from 15 ft stand.

12-Mar-19
Is the 1.1 mile figure straight line? Boreal, were you in on the kill?

12-Mar-19
“Wrong way Corrigan” Boreal saw it on a seperate thread. It was straight line estimate but even longer as the way she wandered

12-Mar-19
Do you have a picture of the exit?

12-Mar-19
No I didn’t get exit pic

12-Mar-19

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
I shot this big doe the day after Thanksgiving last fall. I repent, I took a bad shot. Hit her in the left shoulder as you can see. Exit was through the paunch where the blood is in front of her right back leg. She laid down right away. Then as it was getting dark another doe walked right by her and stopped, checked her out, and then I couldn't tell if both of them got up and I didn't know which one went which direction. Right before I got down I thought I saw a twitch of white. Snuck out of there as quietly as I could. Went back the next morning and she was laying there dead within 50 yards of my stand. Worst gutting job ever. Dry heaves. LOL. Should have done the gutless method on that one. She tastes great though, although I did lose some meat that got gut on it.

12-Mar-19
All the way to the Freezer!

12-Mar-19
I am currently sitting in the stand i shot her from and there is a small branch which I did not see but believe I may have hit that caused a deflection?!?

12-Mar-19
That makes sense. Nice deer

12-Mar-19

elk yinzer's embedded Photo
elk yinzer's embedded Photo
I don't really like to share these but they can be educational. Here was my shocker from this year. Got rear 1/3 of right lung and exited guts. Reaction at the shot I thought I 10 ringed her. Found arrow, smelled it and backed out. Jumped her 75 yards away 6 hours after the shot. Came back the next morning she made it another 50 yards. Meat was good, gutless method saved me from a miserable experience. Either I didn't realize she was quartering to, or she spun at the shot.

• Sitka Gear