ahunter76 15-Mar-19
Brotsky 15-Mar-19
orionsbrother 15-Mar-19
Z2 15-Mar-19
PoudreCanyon 15-Mar-19
svrelk 17-Mar-19
rjlefty3 17-Mar-19
12-Mar-19
My daughter will be 4 in June and she's been asking about my hunting. I'm thinking about taking her with me to turkey hunt out of a blind we have on our farm. Good chance to see some animals and possibly (me, not her) have a shot at one with a bow. I want to avoid the loud noise of a gun going off for now. Is she too young to take with me? what age do you think is a good age to take them into the woods?

12-Mar-19
I'm in the same boat w a 6 and 3 year old. If I get them in a blind it will be with the expectation I can get an hr or 2 tops out of them in the blind and the focus will be on getting as close to roosted birds and their fly down area as possible so they can see and hear the gobblers. Anything else would be a massive bonus.

12-Mar-19

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Good on you! No she's not too young to take with you. I've been taking my boys with me since they were 3-4 years old.....I have 4 of them now. I never had any "success" when they were that young but we had a lot of fun, and they now love to hunt with me so I think you plant those seeds early. Couple of things that have helped me....

1. Bring lots of candy/treats 2. Plenty of clothes and make sure she's comfortable 3. Temper your expectations as far as seeing animals and actually hunting. Make it about being together in the outdoors. 4. Don't get mad at her or frustrated if she's noisy or wants to leave. Know that you probably won't be able to be out there very long. Remember, you're more there to be together and start teaching her and sharing with her what you love to do. It's not about the kill.

Good luck man and stick with it!

12-Mar-19

SBH's embedded Photo
You'd be surprised at the conditions they can handle. I think they want to impress Dad and show they can do it.
SBH's embedded Photo
You'd be surprised at the conditions they can handle. I think they want to impress Dad and show they can do it.

12-Mar-19
I started taking my son with me turkey hunting when he was 4. It was a blast for the both of us. Used a bow and a blind, he loved it, I loved it. Always packed food and beverage. Hunted until he was ready to leave. Sometimes that was 4 hours, other times it was 2. Let him use the box and push pin calls because he wanted to "help" me. Never brought any technology with us but instead told stories and rehearsed for when turkeys would come in. Wish I had that time back.

12-Mar-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I agree with what is said above. Enjoy your time with the kids . Can’t wait for spring.

12-Mar-19

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
What SBH said. Make the experience a fun one, and don't make it about "killing" something. You're investing in their interest, and make sure it's fun. Last fall my daughter decided she wanted to do some squirrel hunting with daddy. We had to get all "painted up" (she insisted), just like I do when I go deer hunting. The best part was her reaction to seeing squirrels, and how they "wouldn't sit still long enough for her to shoot them!" LOL! We shared two KitKats and some Gatorade, and had a small 5 point whitetail buck walk by us at 20 yards...she still talks about that day, and asks when we can go next.

12-Mar-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Great advice above! My only piece of advice is very simple, make sure this about THEM having fun and not about YOU killing anything and you will have an awesome experience with them in the woods!

12-Mar-19
Heck yes take her. Take a couple blankets so she can lay down when she gets sleepy. Maybe something for her to do while she's in the blind. Took my daughter all the time. she loved it. If she was sleeping when something came in I would wake her up.

12-Mar-19
Started taking my daughter at 4 1/2. Turkey season. As long as she heard a turkey gobble once it was a win. The excitement on her face was all that was needed when she heard her first gobble. No kills yet but it has never mattered. We hunt about an hour then head for breakfast (which might be her favorite thing lol),. I let her crank on the box call as much as she wants. Very entertaining.

12-Mar-19
Not too young by any means, but I would second what has been said about making it about her. Be mindful of when she has had enough and don't coax too much time out of a particular hunt - if you push too hard for additional time on a single hunt, she may be less interested in future hunts. Make sure to wait for a good weather day when she will be comfortable. Lay out all of the gear you will need to take her along - you'll be amazed at how much extra stuff you may need for her to be comfortable in the blind.

You may not be one to carry your binos for turkey hunting, but my daughter was constantly looking through mine while we were out when she was little. Binos brought distant birds and deer up close and she loved it!!! Have a great time making memories together! Pete

12-Mar-19

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
GO FOR IT! Turkey hunting with the kids in the blind with you is a blast. Yes, attention span can wain pretty fast. A simple hand held game with the volume off can save your sanity and their impatience. My whole family sat in the blind with me last year. Wife, 2 boys 5 & 7 and we opened the season with 4 gobblers. Heck my younger son was in the turkey blind with us a -3...….LOL. He gave my wife's belly a heck of a kick from "Inside" when the shotgun went off. Both of our boys have been in the Turkey blind as well as the duck blind since they were 3 or 4. Now they ask to go. With some ear muffs at the time of the shot there is no worry about the blast of a gun. Actually, the last 3 years I've given my boys the choice. "Do you want mommy and daddy to shoot the turkeys with bow or shotguns?" The last 3 years it has been a unanimous "Blast em with the gun daddy!" Those 2 boys are on the edge of their seats wanting to go jump on the "Flop". My son was 4 when he looked up and told my wife that there was something by the turkey decoy as she was reading a book. (1st pic). WOW!

12-Mar-19

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
My granddaughter has been hunting with me since she was about 6 or 7 She is 14 now and just last night she asked me ..... hey papa what are we going to put in for this year (NM) ? I really want to hunt Oryx. She now has become a darn good hunter ! She always wanted to go up in the mountains with me on our horses too and has become a great rider, helps me pack out and rodeos all around NM ..... Get them interested and get going.

12-Mar-19

huntabsarokee's embedded Photo
huntabsarokee's embedded Photo
I think 4 or 5 is fine. Bring lots of snacks and make sure it’s warm enough out. Here is my daughter and she was 4 or 5. Archery hunt in a blind. She loved it.

12-Mar-19
Totally fine, depending on the kiddo. Since she's asking that means she wants to go. Bring plenty of clothes, plenty of drinks & snacks, games (I'm not kidding - we've played monopoly, cards, etc. in the blind!), stuffed animals, blanket, pillow, etc.. I lay a quilted moving blanket on the ground inside the blind, which makes it easy to sit & lay on and keeps it warmer too.

The ONLY caveat is when you bring a kiddo expect to NOT kill anytyhing. You can't expect them to stick it out if it's cold, boring, nature calls, etc. You have to totally accept the fact that their comfort & schedule takes priority. If they are "done" after 30 min, so be it. But you might be surprised how long they can stay engaged and how much fun they have.

When my daughter was about that age (I'd been hauling her in the woods since she was 1) we made a huge all-day hike (mostly with me carrying her) trying to find a turkey. About 3pm I finally had a Tom respond to my calls with a lusty gobble. My daughter yelled "Turkey!!!" "shhhh, kiddo!" She yelled again "TURKEY!!!" That crazy Tom shock gobbled back to her yells a dozen times. Of course he was too smart to approach, and that encounter ended without a sighting or arrow flung, but I wouldn't trade that memory for a dozen turkeys in the freezer.

Get your daughter into the woods, you won't regret it.

12-Mar-19
I've been taking my son along since he was since he was six. One of the first times I took him, was during fall turkey in '06. Just wanted to check a few stands, chase a few turkeys... Around noon, were nestled up against a big oak, looking down the mountain, fall colors fading, just kicking back eating lunch...he leans against me and says "This was the best day ever, dad." Took a while to get the dust out of my eyes.

12-Mar-19
Thanks for all the feedback. Bow bender, I can only hope for an experience Like that.

Next question: any recommendations on clothing, be it camo or not? Only warm jacket she has now is bright red which I’m not too thrilled about for turkeys. I saw where kuiu just launched a kids line but I’m not sure I want to spend that much to be so rarely used.

12-Mar-19

Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
I took my daughter last year. We killed on our 3rd or 4th setup. No blind, gun hunt. Run and gun made it alot more fun for her, even if she was seriously questioning my hunting prowess after a a few failed setups lol.

12-Mar-19
I always took my boys out in the great outdoors and mixed in hunting and fishing. Nothing says you have to wait until hunting season. Go out set the blind up sprinkle some bird seed and count how many/different songbirds come by.....

12-Mar-19
We pack a few blankets into the turkey blind. The boys are bundled up good and warm even on rainy days. Lots of snacks. If in a blind don't worry about camo clothes, just dark or black is best. Outside of a blind camo is a must with Turkeys.

12-Mar-19
Buy a $5 black t shirt from Walmart that is a couple sizes too big to slide over her Bright jacket.

13-Mar-19
4 seems to be the perfect age to take them. That's when I started taking my kids. A blind, chair, some blankets, candy and your cell phone for a few games are you're good for up to 4 hours with naps in between. They will love every minute of it and you will too. I miss those days!

13-Mar-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
started taking my son at 5 he killed his first deer at 7

13-Mar-19
SBH and Brotsky and others nailed it. The only thing that I’d add is that kids get cold easier. If temps are cool, bring a sleeping bag or blanket etc.

13-Mar-19
Lots of sage advice here on making it fun for the kids!

I've had three kids take their first archery deer at the farm in the past three years. Two more will be up to bat this year....can't wait to see their enthusiasm!

Mark

13-Mar-19
A lot depends on the amount of patience — yours is more important than hers.

13-Mar-19
To touch on orionsbrother's comment, I made the mistake with not dressing my son properly for the weather. Even if you think it is warm enough, be prepared with extra layer of clothing or blanket. Last year, youth turkey it was 28 degrees. We had a long walk in and I thought he would be warm enough with what he was wearing and with calling, moving, setting up, etc. When we set up on a bird and he hung up for a while, he froze his butt off. Enough that he couldn't warm up and we had to call it a day. He took his first deer this year with temps 1 degree F and I made sure he was warm enough. As others have said, make it fun. He cant wait for turkey season to open this spring. Good luck to you and enjoy!!

13-Mar-19
Regarding the warmth thing......Bring some handwarmers and don't forget about Fire! If the kiddos get cold, crawl out of the blind and start up a "survival" fire. They will love it. Ya the "hunt" may be over but they will remember the fire making and feeling warm from it for a long time. My kids love building a fire.

13-Mar-19

BigOk's embedded Photo
Naps are ok,too.
BigOk's embedded Photo
Naps are ok,too.
Some great advice above. Make it fun, not just about the hunting. Lots of snacks, jokes and forms of entertainment to pass the time.

13-Mar-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
every kid is different. You should know pretty much how they are going to be as far as attention span, being quiet ect. I've taken my kids, G-kids from 3 through 10 & teens for Turkey, Deer & Hogs. A Blind Turkey hunting is great AND take a pad for the nap when they get tired & some snacks "they" like. It's about the little one & you a 2nd. It's fun AND eye opening for both.. I love taking them if they ask. This is my G-son & his dad (he's soon to be 14 & still hunting).

13-Mar-19

these are some of your best hunts

14-Mar-19

Mcadam17's embedded Photo
Mcadam17's embedded Photo
You will have a blast. Just go into it with the right mindset. I've been taking my soon to be 5 year old since he was 3. This yr his brother was sad he couldnt go so I brought both. We got lucky and got this guy. (Yes it was a gun sorry lol )

14-Mar-19

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Take them. They’ll be your most memorable hunts. Don’t expect the hunts to last long. You’ll look forward to long, still times. But kids don’t. And the points guys have made about snacks...kids eat constantly - especially when it’s cold. Kids eat a full kid-size meal every 2 hrs and that includes travel time. And when they’re hiking, they eat adult sized meals every 2 hrs. Take twice what you think they will eat and then double it.

Enjoy it! These are the good times.

15-Mar-19
Best times you will ever have provided you go in with the right attitude and mindset. You need to start them young with fun and shorter ventures into the woods and explain “cool stuff” to them. Once you graduate to hunting keep it short and get them acclimated with hunts that are warm weather and where you’ll hopefully see some wildlife. Move on from there and just keep having fun with them! Keep in mind that each child will progress differently from there. My advice is to keep electronics out of the equation from your end as well as your child’s... Enjoy the memories!

15-Mar-19

I started taking my son at age 3 & he started hunting at 12. Now, we have shared many an adventure. Colorado, Quebec Canada, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin & more.. He watches out for me now..

15-Mar-19
Ahhh the snacks....Kia and I were in the store the other night buying groceries. I look in the cart and she has 3 boxes of Oatmeal Crème Pies in the cart. These are not items we typically buy so I looked at her a little funny and she gets this big smile and says "It's almost turkey season!" How can you argue with that! Ha!

15-Mar-19
When possible, rewrap those snacks. The original packaging is insanely noisy.

15-Mar-19
My dad started taking me into the field when I was about 2 years old and potty trained me walking dove and pheasant fields. He cut leg holes in the bottom of his pouch in the back of his blaze orange vest and a hole in the top for my head and told me if I ever peed on him I'm never coming with him again. And I never did do it. Starting sitting in a deer blind in South Texas when I was four. I just laid on the floor of the box blind with some coloring books and lots of snacks and that kept me happy. When something came out my dad would hand me the binos. To this day I think I get just as much enjoyment out of simply just watching animals as I do when I harvest one. I know he sacrificed shot opportunities and even certain hunts to be able to take me with. The golden rule for him was if he was invited on a hunt I had to come with. Hopefully, one day I can pay him back by bringing him on hunts and sacrificing some of my hunting goals just so I can have him with me.

15-Mar-19

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
My two kids had their first hunt last year at 5 and 7 and had a great time. I think it’s an individual thing with each kid - you’ll know when they’re ready. As already said, try and make it as fun and low stress as possible.

17-Mar-19

svrelk's embedded Photo
First undulate.....age 10
svrelk's embedded Photo
First undulate.....age 10
svrelk's embedded Photo
His 2nd bear... Memorial Day 2018
svrelk's embedded Photo
His 2nd bear... Memorial Day 2018
svrelk's embedded Photo
When you instill a love for the outdoors, they write things like this a school
svrelk's embedded Photo
When you instill a love for the outdoors, they write things like this a school
Most rewarding hunting I do anymore.. Rather hunt with my son than for myself these days.. he started accompanying me at age 5.. Take them along, keep it fun, with emphasis on that not the killing part and you'll have a partner for life...

17-Mar-19
Great tips, guys. I plan on taking my 7 and 3 y/o out with me turkey hunting this year. My 3y/o is all about it so I might be more excited than they are!

Unrelated, but that chest patch on that bear is incredible svrelk...I've never seen anything like that. Very cool!

• Sitka Gear