bigwoodsbucks22 12-Mar-19
Dakota 12-Mar-19
badbull 12-Mar-19
Predeter 12-Mar-19
Michael 12-Mar-19
Franklin 12-Mar-19
Michael 12-Mar-19
12-Mar-19
Me and a buddy are trying to do an out of state Early September bow hunt this year. Some states that have OTC licenses and Sept 1st or Sept 15th openers are Kentucky, Missouri, and South Dakota. Can anyone give me any sort of recommendations or leads on where to start looking? We are pretty open to ideas at this point. We are willing to do a DIY trip but would prefer a semi-guided hunt. Ideally some type of hunt where there is a piece of private land that you get access to but you do everything yourself in regards to scouting, setting stands, choosing where to sit, etc. Open to both lodging included or find your own lodging. Would really like to keep the hunt + lodging as close to $1,000 as possible. I've found a couple that fit into this price range so I know they're out there. Thanks in advance.

12-Mar-19
I would try North Dakota and hunt the western third on any creek bottom/river bottom public access areas. They all will be good before pressure educates the deer. The deer are very visible in the mornings and evenings on alfalfa and you can try knocking doors too and wave "benjamins" if you want to. The early season is one and done many times if they wind you etc...…

Move around and see some country.

12-Mar-19
Here is one...… https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/spo/d/warsaw-hunt-ohio-trophy-bucks/6827162973.htm

12-Mar-19
North Dakota unfortunately does not have OTC tags so that is likely out. And Ohio doesn't open until October so that one is out as well. Those are the 2 biggest issues im facing with all of this... OTC tags AND early/mid September opener. Definitely limits my options

12-Mar-19
It might be tough finding a place in South Dakota for a DIY but there is tons of public land around.

12-Mar-19
The last time that I hunted ND archery deer lic. were OTC. You might want to check that. Gun were by lottery. Good luck..........Badbull

12-Mar-19
Can't help on the outfitter/trespass fee question but I would add WI and NE to your list of states to consider.

12-Mar-19
I thought North Dakota NR whitetail bow tags were OTC.

12-Mar-19
OK......try this one.... https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/d/bellflower-missouri-deer-hunt-private/6808474744.html

12-Mar-19
You won’t get much for a grand in the Midwest if that includes lodging.

If your going to do all the work I see zero need to do semi guided. Head west and camp or stay at a hotel. Scout hard, hunt hard and have a fun trip. Both the dakotas have plenty of public. You could even knock on a few doors while your hunting and pay a few bucks to hunt.

This winter has been brutal. I hope the deer handle it better then what I am guessing they are.

• Sitka Gear