Drnaln 14-Mar-19
sticksender 14-Mar-19
YZF-88 14-Mar-19
MQQSE 14-Mar-19
CBFROMND 15-Mar-19
CBFROMND 15-Mar-19
Surfbow 15-Mar-19
12-Mar-19
I am new to applying out of state, have a whopping one point for muleys in CO-still have 4 points in MT for the big 3 but will lose those if I don't move back-can't spend the $ applying as a N.R.

For Colorado, i'm having a heck of a time putting in for a preference point for mule deer. I can't figure out WTH I'm doing wrong, and I'm only 30 haha. My wife and I are pinching pennies trying to buy a house this year so have to be over the top frugal, just wanting a preference point but the system isn't allowing me to do anything.

Do we really have to buy a small game license @ over $80 just to be able to buy a preference point for CO muleys?

12-Mar-19
Yes a small game license is a prerequisite for any big game app or any point-only app.

12-Mar-19
Yes, a small game license plus a Habitat Stamp BEFORE, you apply for the deer license, ie a PP. Make sure your correct personal info and credit card info is on file prior to applying.

12-Mar-19
I know just how u feel. When I was 30 I was in your shoes. Every year I sold anything I didn’t need, picked aluminum cans and took scrap metal to the yards and donated plasma to buy points in all the states I wanted to hunt some day. Now at 47 I don’t have to get so extreme financially but I have a nice portfolio of points in 9 states and before I’m dead I should pull some pretty good tags. U never get time back- pick your passion and figure out what you want to really kill and make it a priority and c it through. The prices are getting ridiculous, but in 15 years you will look back and think they were cheap. I truly believe with what Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana have gone too, the point creep will end and odds will b better in 20 years when all the graybeards ahead of me are dead. Hate to b that way but I’m counting on attrition

12-Mar-19

NvaGvUp's Link
The new CO system is the worst online application system EVER.

See the link for how to do it on the Sheep Forum.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=483082&messages=11&forum=12#4762275

13-Mar-19
Just bought a $65 NM hunting license just to be able to apply for an elk tag with .027% odds of drawing. Thank god Colorado is finally following suit. I'm sick of us being the back-up plan for every NR who doesn't draw their elk tag somewhere else.

I just wish that the extra money will be spent for opening access and habitat improvement as well as increasing draw odds. Well that's a pipe dream.

13-Mar-19
Some other state'e fees - for elk

AZ - $160 License + $15 Fee = $175

NM - $69 License + $13 Fee = $82

CO - $81.75 License + $10 stamp + $9 App Fee = $100.75

NV - $155 License + $1 processing fee, $15 elk fee + $1 processing fee + $3 predator fee = $175

WY - For a chance into the General + Purchasing a point $15 App, $50 pref fee, 18.93 processing fee (2.5%) = $85.93

13-Mar-19
MT has the best deal for residents in the western states.

Alaska is way better than Montana.

13-Mar-19
The way states are going with the hunting license requirement I should be able to shoot a squirrel in just about any elk state in a few years!

13-Mar-19
Cn-

Now average that and multiply by the 6 states I apply for. Now add deer antelope and the big three and try to get the cheapie points for the kids in Az, wy, and co it gets ugly in a hurry

13-Mar-19
Thanks for all of the responses, I guess I need to pay all that $ just for a preference point for archery mule deer. I don't lose points in CO after not applying for 1 year correct?

I'm really hoping my job will allow me to work from home, then we will get back to MT and I don't have to worry about it as much, as a resident I can hunt pretty much anything I want in the 406. Mountain Goat and sheep tag will have to be out of pocket to AK/BC

I'm not interested at all in hunting elk until my wife is done with school-just muleys as that's something I can manage on my own. Praying I can talk my boss into a work from home option and we'll be moving about 1100 miles West to either MT or Wyoming.

13-Mar-19
Lose PP in Colorado? You have 10 years after your last app, before you lose all PPs.

13-Mar-19
Thanks Paul.

I know $80 doesn't seem like much, and I agree. Priority #1 is getting debt paid off so we can buy our first house.

Plus I am still looking for a ground blind on sale and a few turkey dekes.

We give each other $100 when we get paid to spend on fuel/whatever else we want so my expendable funds are a little tight-all good we just really want out of our apartment.

13-Mar-19
No habitat stamp required for over 65

14-Mar-19
Iowa bh-

Live like no other today so you can live like no other tomorrow-

Smart man-Dave Ramsey system would suit u fine??

14-Mar-19
I believe you have to wait until after March 31st, or your small game license will NOT be valid for the 2019 season. I THINK???? Someone else with more knowledge on this please chime in.

Bob

14-Mar-19
I did mine yesterday & all went pretty easy. I bought 2019 small game license 1st & then proceeded with big game application. I needed my Hunter Safety number to proceed & had all the info for hunt codes wrote down before starting. Everything went really smooth!

14-Mar-19
Inshart, you can buy either a 2018 or a 2019 license now. Just be sure and buy the right one.

14-Mar-19
You can do it all in one transaction but the small game license and habitat stamp must be in your shopping cart first. I bought my 10th deer point last night. I’ll figure out what to do with them next year.

14-Mar-19
It’s the worst system out there by far. The changes will clear out a pile of applicants.

15-Mar-19
Don't make the mistake of filling out the application first.... I did this realized what I needed to do so went back bought habitat, general.... now wont let me back in to finish application....

15-Mar-19
correction: I bought habitat stamp $10.00, Small game $82.00 then you can go get the point... It can be done in one session I just made a mess out of it is all..

15-Mar-19
OP, if you have financial goals to meet and money is that tight right now, I don't think applying for a bunch of western points should be very high on your list of priorities. I was in your position when I first got married and my wife was in grad school, and I only bought PPs for elk so I could stick to our budget and buy our first house. A bunch of antlers are no good to you if you don't have a house to hang them in. If you still insist on hunting in Colorado soon, there is plenty to be done with 1 preference point.

• Sitka Gear