Rwd3 12-Mar-19
Stix 12-Mar-19
Rwd3 13-Mar-19
Rwd3 13-Mar-19
Franklin 13-Mar-19
Stix 13-Mar-19
12-Mar-19

Stix's Link
Today at 1:45 EST, President Trumps signed the biggest public lands bill in decades into law. The crown jewel is the permanent authorization of the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) which among many things secures funding for conservation easements and land purchases to enable sportsmen's access into landlocked public lands (public land surrounded by private holdings with no public access)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wNdSqU4xIc&feature=youtu.be

12-Mar-19
Big win for conservation.

12-Mar-19
Very cool. Very!

12-Mar-19
Yuge! Thank you President Trump!

12-Mar-19
Yes .

12-Mar-19
I think this is mostly a REALLY great thing, but I had a question that I figured I would post hoping that a lawyer or someone closer to the specifics may be able to shed light on.

If I understand correctly (big if), part of this bill grants concessions to Native Alaskan Veterans (and heirs) to 160 acres of federal land. One article is read mentions there are 2,800 people eligible ... that’s 450k acres or 700 square miles (about the size of Rhode Island.

Granted Alaska’s sheer size, this is only 0.5% of total acreage in the state. Don’t get me wrong, I feel recognition of these individuals is warranted and commendable; however I hate that the federal government just lost up to 450k acres of public land (esp amid all of the masked public land transfer tactics in today’s era).

So my question ... are there limitations or restrictions under the terms of which concessions can be resold?

12-Mar-19
This land was promised by legislation to native Alaskan who served during war, but in the case of vietnam, many were still deployed thus not able to meet the application deadline. The land was already allocated for that purpose in the 70's. Alaska Native vietnam veterans came home and were told that the Native allotment that you were allowed to apply for since 1906, you can’t apply for that anymore.

13-Mar-19
Well that is helpful context. Thanks Steve.

13-Mar-19
Well that is helpful context. Thanks Steve.

13-Mar-19
Having a fellow hunter like Don Jr. with access to the Whitehouse is a huge plus for us. The hunting community should take advantage of this rare opprotunity and move on other issues they have concerns about.

13-Mar-19
Would also like to point out that the land transfer component of the bill expired in 1974, that's why it only applies to vietnam vets who were unable to meet the deadline due to being deployed.

This program was replaced by a "revenue sharing" concept from Alaska's oil industry to all of Alaska's residents. Therefore there is no more land allocated to transfer to aboriginal Alaskans.

This part of the bill is to remedy the claim of the deployed native Alaskan Vietnam vets, who were the last group that could apply for this program, but were unable to meet the progams application deadline because of their deployment.

• Sitka Gear