Moultrie Mobile
Alaska blackbear: POW or similar/better?
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
scndwfstlhntng 12-Mar-19
IdyllwildArcher 12-Mar-19
Buskill 12-Mar-19
'Ike' 12-Mar-19
tkjwonta 12-Mar-19
tobinsghost 13-Mar-19
scndwfstlhntng 13-Mar-19
SDHNTR(home) 14-Mar-19
Buskill 14-Mar-19
South Farm 15-Mar-19
scndwfstlhntng 16-Mar-19
muskeg 17-Mar-19
pointingdogs 17-Mar-19
muskeg 17-Mar-19
keepemsharp 18-Mar-19
muskeg 18-Mar-19
wildwilderness 18-Mar-19
muskeg 18-Mar-19
scndwfstlhntng 21-Mar-19
12-Mar-19
I have been waiting and looking for quite awhile to find something that looks fun and exciting. Yesterday I fell across a Kuiu video of a bowhunter taking a bb on POW island, and it looked like just a place that I would like to go hunting. Of course he appeared to have a beautiful sunny dry day, and did take an animal so that didn't hurt. I then started looking for an outfitter (including here) as well as Googling info on general points of what is happening on POW. I didn't find a whole lot of options and was a little put off by stories of game limits, possibly a little over hunting and that it is a very popular spot. What I am asking for from guys who undoubtedly have Alaskan experience and probably some insider understanding is: Is POW still a great place to go? Could I get some recommendations for walk and stalk BB outfitters with Traditional gear? There have to be other similar places that have not been so heavily traveled and hunted. Can anyone give me names of good alternatives to POW with similar topography and vegetation? (Location and outfitters)

Thanks Steve

12-Mar-19
Just making sure you realize that NR blackbear hunting on PoW is a draw, but the odds are good, I think around 30% last I checked. There's lots of Blackbear hunting opportunities in AK besides PoW though, although PoW is known for it's genetically large bears due to no Grizz and the availability of salmon as a food source.

12-Mar-19
I could be mistaken , but if a NR goes with an outfitter then you avoid the draw .

12-Mar-19
Yes to the Outfitters!

12-Mar-19
I just drew a tag for POW in spring of 2020. Everything I've read indicates that it had been going down hill, but that with NR going to a draw, the hunting has started improving and pressure dwindled a bit.

I'm excited about the whole experience (fishing, sea food, scenery) rather than just going on a bear hunt. If you just want to shoot a bear, there are tons of other places to do so that are probably as good or better, but I've always wanted to hunt POW.

13-Mar-19

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
I'm your guy! Call Treasure Hunter Lodge, Kurt Whitehead, best POW guide in my book. Kills big bears and knows what they will do b4 they do it.

13-Mar-19
Thanks Rich, I sent them an email this evening

Steve

14-Mar-19
For years I've been interested in finding a boat based transporter to do a diy Black Bear hunt on POW. From what I can tell, that doesn’t exist. Plenty of fully guided options, and plenty of cabin/skiff based diy options, but no boat based mothership transporter, ala Kodiak, options. But man, I sure would love somebody to prove me wrong!

14-Mar-19
I’m pretty sure Gary Adkison out of Hollis does boat based transport . I doubt he advertises , but I’m pretty certain he’s done it . I’ve rented boats off him before and I think he mentioned transporting folks in a big ol ship he’s got .

15-Mar-19
All I can tell you is we see a ton of blackies on the slopes North of Talkeetna while moose hunting. The terrain and environment is very conducive to spot and stalk, and I have no doubt you'd kill a nice one around there...but don't ask me the details on whether it's a draw or what because I've not looked into it myself.

16-Mar-19
I am still quite interested in this, but it would appear that I will need to continue to scratch around on my own. The one name mentioned has not replied to my email so far, but I have time to be patient and keep on chipping away at this

17-Mar-19
There are several reasons that POW Island is popular with non-resident Black Bear hunters. Infrastructure like daily ferry service to Ketchikan, many scheduled flights to the Island, Plenty of B&B or lodge type housing, lots of roads for access and about an average of 1 inch greater skull size ....

Units # 1-a, 1-b & 3 offer very good Bear hunting (with left over tags available) but are remote style hunts, requiring lots of logistical planning and more $'s than a Unit # 2 hunt.

17-Mar-19
Muskeg: do 1a, 1b, or 3 have Grizzly???? Thanks.

17-Mar-19
There are Brown Bear in the parts of 1a & 1b on the mainland including the Cleveland Peninsula. It is very rare to have any Browns on most of the Islands south of Fredrick Sound. Sometimes a few on the Islands or the part of the Island that are up close to the mainland.

18-Mar-19
We did a fall hunt there in 2006, had a great time. At that time there was no draw. Then the guides got rules changed a lot. If you don't use one hunting is extremily limited with some goofy rules about using boats, vehicles and other means to hunt.

18-Mar-19
The goofy rules you refer to are history. The guides had very little to do with the Board of Games decision to go to the draw.

18-Mar-19
I was going to say look up Muskeg Excursions- Johnnie Laird, who knows a lot about POW but he already posted.

Did you end up retiring?

18-Mar-19
yes ... kinda ... still fishing charter guiding. And I still know a lot about the Island.

21-Mar-19
Guys, I was a little miffed at lack of replies, but "my bad". Sorry. As I come into this site through Stickbow, it is not obvious where personal replies are. It is right on the front page on the Leatherwall but not here. TODAY, I looked around a little and found a series of personal notes sent. Thank you all for the trouble. I will look into the things left for me to read.

• Sitka Gear