Dino 13-Mar-19
Scrappy 13-Mar-19
Ucsdryder 13-Mar-19
Scrappy 13-Mar-19
Scrappy 13-Mar-19
Bowfreak 13-Mar-19
Scrappy 13-Mar-19
13-Mar-19
I am currently using a spot hogg whipper snapper that is horribly unreliable. I have two of them and last summer one stopped working. Sent it back through warranty and everything seemed fine. Fast forward to last September and both quit working while elk hunting. One was in my pocket and the other in a ziploc bag in my pack. The first one quit so I changed them out then the second one quit. Got very lucky by blowing out the debris to get one too work for the one shot needed at my bull. What is happening is while in my pocket (that gets full of debris while hunting) gets into the release causing it to not stay closed on the loop.

Boy that was long winded. First question has anyone ever had this same thing happen with other thumb releases while hunting or is this just a poor designed release for hunting?

Second part is I'm eyeballing the Carter Wise Choice right now but some of the reviews have been negative on the amount of noise when hooking up to the loop. The release I used before had an audible click when attaching to the loop which cost me a shot at a good buck before. I don't like the idea of a noise when the opportunity for a second shot is ruined due to the noise of the release. So for those that have this release am I over thinking this or is it an actual concern?

Third and final question is there a better release out there that is also silent?

Thanks guys for taking the time to read and respond.

Oh ya I forgot I have two spot hogg whipper snapper releases for sale.

13-Mar-19
The Carter Li'l Mike is a great release. I'm even more fond of the Keeton from Spot Hogg....my current favorite.

13-Mar-19
The wise choice is an excellent choice for a handheld hunting release. One of the best things about this release is u can leave it clipped on to your string!!!

13-Mar-19
Dino how about the noise when attacking to your string?

13-Mar-19
My wise choice has been misfiring randomly. I just cleaned it and put it back together. Not sure if that solved my issue.

13-Mar-19
JTV the chappy boss is the one I used to and cost me a good buck from the noise clicking on the loop.

Story goes like this. Sitting in the stand all morning with my release attached to the loop just like in your pic. My buddy text me that a big buck has been out in front of his house all morning running does. Well I just have the perfect tree for that spot so I start packing up my stuff to make the move and you all can guess what happened. Yup big buck coming in hot and I had to scramble to get an arrow knocked and hookup my release. Buck is at 15 yards and locks up like a bird dog when he hears that click. Wheels around and is gone.

13-Mar-19
Ucsdryder have you had it a long time with a million shots or is it fairly new and how loud is it to hook on the string?

13-Mar-19
Scrappy, If you are treestand hunting leave your release hooked up. I have shot handhelds for years and when I've been in situations where I didn't have my release clicked on it never once came close to costing me an animal. I use a Too Simple now and I can hook it on the quietly. It is not silent but it is not an issue at all. I had a Chappy Boss years ago and that release was so loud at the shot it actually hurt my ear. It never did cost me an animal but I didn't like the noise.

13-Mar-19
Bowfreak not really a problem when treestand hunting unless a second shot is offered and reattaching the release with an alert deer near.

But manly I'm worried about being in the elk woods and have an elk surprise me and have to try and get the release on the string quietly.

• Sitka Gear