wvbowbender 27-Mar-19
Bob H in NH 27-Mar-19
Helgermite 27-Mar-19
onX Hunt 27-Mar-19
Bob H in NH 28-Mar-19
Bowfreak 28-Mar-19
'Ike' (Phone) 28-Mar-19
13-Mar-19
I currently have a 1 year subscription to one state (WY). Can I buy another 1 year subscription for another state (WI) on the same account?

13-Mar-19
No, your options are either one state or all states. Ran into this myself a year ago. It would be cheaper to purchase a couple states ala carte but that is not an option yet as far as I know.

13-Mar-19
Could I create a different account and have two apps on my phone?

13-Mar-19
You can also get all 50 states for a monthly fee ($14.99) and then stop when your done. I buy this monthly service in August then cancel after season. Good luck!

13-Mar-19
You should be able to have 2 separate accounts on the same phone. The only problem you might run into is how the app handles the data storage for both accounts. It shouldn't over write account A with account B data (track, waypoints, etc).

13-Mar-19
Might be able to if you run two separate Google Play or Apple accounts.

13-Mar-19
Camofire has the OnX 50 state elite membership for $60 today, regularly $100. I’m going to renew mine today.

13-Mar-19
I called their customer service when I had the same question. They said you cant have two single states, but they guy I spoke to let me swap my state of choice from CO to PA for the remainder of the subscription.

13-Mar-19
You would be cheaper and I actually like Basemaps better. You get the whole country for $30 a year. Gives you everything Onx gives you. I made the switch and haven't looked back.

13-Mar-19
Could I create a different account and have two apps on my phone?

13-Mar-19
One of the many reasons to cancel OnX and get Gaia.

13-Mar-19

elkhoonter's Link
If you want to keep your hunting locations private, I wouldn't use Onx. Their privacy policy states they will use (and sell) any of your data for any reason whatsoever. Their next product will probably be "Western hot spots" include your camp locations, trails you hiked, wallow and kill sites, based on your waypoint and tracking data that you willingly give them by using their app.

From the Onx privacy policy: (c) Use of Non-Personally Identifiable and Aggregate Information. We may use non-personally identifiable information and aggregate information for any lawful purpose, including, but not limited to, analyzing trends, managing and administering the Service, tracking users’ movements, to create new products or services or to improve our business and the Service. We may also share aggregate information with third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising and to analyze and report on the advertising you see. In addition, we may share aggregate statistical information with our business partners. We may also combine your non-personally identifiable information and aggregate information with other non-personally identifiable information and aggregate information collected from other sources. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that aggregate information is never associated with you or your personally identifiable information.

13-Mar-19
Kinda glad I’m with Gaia after that last post. But then again, I Don’t recall a resolution to Jaquomos Gaia issues.

13-Mar-19
Just found this on Gaia's privacy policy (regarding "data", which includes waypoints, etc.). Read the last sentence carefully.

We use this information for the purpose of administering and improving our Services to you. We may also use this information in a de-identified, anonymous way in conjunction with an analytics service such as Google Analytics to monitor and analyze use of the Services, for the Services’ technical administration, and to increase the Services’ functionality and user-friendliness. We may reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute the Public Data, to other users of the Services, to the public, or to any third party. We may use Private Data, in an anonymized manner, to provide data to users of the Services as to the popularity of existing features on maps, such as trails and points of interest and the frequency with which such locations have been visited in a given month.

13-Mar-19
Talk to me about this basemaps app. I bought one for AZ hunt this year and it came with download. Looks like I have the whole country on it but how do I get land ownership? Does it work the same as onx where you have to preload maps where you don't have service?

13-Mar-19
SBH you can turn on or off any layers that you would like such as unit boundaries, private, BLM etc. Yes you can download areas that you will be hunting in to use offline if you dont have service. Also gives you landowner names, winter range, summer range, old burn areas, topo use and a whole lot more. Including tracking and setting waypoints. Learning how to use the layering feature is not bad with some exploring. It also has a buddy mode that will ping and show you where your buddy is. Kinda nice if you get hurt or trying to explain where you are at with your big buck, or bull you just put an arrow through. Not sure on the privacy policy though, that is interesting info. I'll have to look closer into.

14-Mar-19
Does Gaia move seamlessly between downloaded maps now or do you still have to manually switch to each one?

14-Mar-19
Make sure to cancel onx after the year or many times thier will b an automatic renewal and your account will b charged

14-Mar-19
Imagine the uproar if they ever share your spots...company killer.

14-Mar-19
Dave I'm interested in some more deatail on the issues you had with Basemaps? I've only used it locally on some shed hunts and its seemed to do ok. Does it crash offline? I have some hunts planned this fall where I'll need to have a reliable tool to determine public and private etc. Thanks for any info. So far I've liked it, but would like to hear your bad experience with it.

14-Mar-19
If you buy onX elite for $60 i like it better than Gaia for $30. They do the same things but Onx is more intuitive. If your a penny pincher get Gaia.

14-Mar-19
Ive been having issues with Onx too. Had one backcountry hunt this year without service where my downloaded map was blurry the entire hunt. I tried restarting my phone didn't work. Image was blurry and property lines only showed up some of the time. It was a bad deal as I was relying on it.

14-Mar-19

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
The same area, both offline cached maps, OnX and Basemap. The OnX maps have gotten worse over time. They say you are not supposed to be able to cache Google Earth imagery. My Basemap cached map layer data says it's ESRI imagery, but it's GE imagery.

14-Mar-19
That is what I've noticed, the Basemaps detail is so much crisper and detailed. Thanks for the comparison

14-Mar-19
Damn it, thought my eyes were going...Lol! I too have noticed that onX isn’t what it used to be...Hopefully they’re on it!

14-Mar-19
It’s possible that when BaseMap hooked up with google for their earth 3D integration they struck a deal where the end user could cache the google imagery. That would be a big deal.

14-Mar-19
Yes it would...Didn’t look at it that way!

14-Mar-19
I’m gonna cache a cpl states worth of maps this weekend just in case.

15-Mar-19
Anyone else on onX having issues with continually having to set your layers, or re-set them when you log in?

15-Mar-19
OnX is terrible in my opinion. They do a good job of sponsoring people to promote their stuff but I had all sorts of issues when I tried it.

GAIA is cheaper, easier to use, and does everything OnX does and more

15-Mar-19
I have an old chip that instill use in my gps from when they first came out. I’ve been considering up grading to my iPhone instead but threads like this really make me wonder if that is the best option.

Curious for those that have problems, what is their customer support or what is their answer to many of these problems with the software?

15-Mar-19
I'm going on an all day shed trip tomorrow planning to use BaseMaps, I'll give you a review of how it goes.

15-Mar-19
I have had no problems with onx on both iphone and android. The early problems I had with Basemap were just bugs and they fixed them promptly. The only thing I don't care fore with basemap is I have to pick each cached map individually to have it display. I believe that's because each map could have different layers, which is not the case with Onx.

15-Mar-19
I'm in the market and wondering what GAIA offers more than OnX other than difference in price

16-Mar-19
I've never had an issue with OnX, but WapitiBob's map actually has pictures of where the elk are, which would make elk hunting MUCH easier! I may have to switch...

16-Mar-19
Those were plants, photoshopped! :-)

16-Mar-19
Ike to answer your question about the layers, yes I have had problems. My New Mexico layer package seems to disappear all the time. I constantly have to go back and add it. Another problem I had, was that it flat out stopped working last summer. Luckily my wife had it downloaded on her phone and I was able to mark some waypoints, but it could have sucked more if I was in an unfamiliar unit. I contacted them and they made it right, but I'm now in the market for a stand alone GPS. I just don't trust it after this past summer.

16-Mar-19
Interesting...Like I said, hopefully they’ll get on it!

16-Mar-19

Twinetickler's embedded Photo
Twinetickler's embedded Photo
I spent the day trying to find an elk shed and had Basemaps tracking me. It worked without any problems and I was satisfied with its performance. I marked a few way points, and saw a few bulls still packing. No sheds, but maybe next time I'll find these big heavy suckers in the pinyon jungles....

17-Mar-19
. I have an On X chip for my GPS and it works. But the size of the screen on my smartphone is enticing. I had On X maps for my phone and could not figure out how to find the extra information. I downloaded the Basemaps and liked the fact that it has the same image as Google maps and I was able to find all the layers. I am old and computers like to mess with me but for ease of use, Basemaps wins hand down.

17-Mar-19
I too didnt like the offline sat image with OnX this last fall. I doubt ill renew my membership unless the fix it. Very disappointed.

19-Mar-19
wow, this thread is all over the map (pun intended). Both fans and haters of OnX and Basemaps. Curious that no one has yet to say anything bad about Gaia? Guess I will need to do some more research. I will be getting one of these to try out on a MT hunt this fall. Just looking for the basics that will get the job done with a minimum of fuss.

19-Mar-19
I think each have their strong suits and weaknesses...Is there a perfect one, not that I've seen and Bob would be the one that knows...

20-Mar-19
OnX is definitely the best at marketing, I’ll give them that much..

20-Mar-19
MD5252 - hoping you'd explain why you think GAIA is better than OnX besides being cheaper. You previously mentioned it does everything OnX does, it's cheaper, easier to use and more. I'm looking at buying one of these so I'd like a little more explanation or examples of why you like GAIA. Thanks

21-Mar-19
Blade- it’s not just cheaper, it’s a lot cheaper AND covers way more territory.

Anyway, I’ve used both and in my opinion GAIA is more user friendly, the graphics are clearer/simpler, and it was more responsive and less “glitchy”.

GAIA is not necessarily a hunting app but more a backcountry hiking and navigation service. OnX is more of a hunting app. When it comes to backcountry navigation (& other backcountry info/equipment) backpacking and hiking apps are way ahead of the curve in terms of use and info. That being said GAIA has excellent layers that are specific to hunting in addition to all the other useful layers they have.

Just my opinion

21-Mar-19
One thing I also wish onX would do, is be able to rotate the Map as like GE...

27-Mar-19
i got onx awhile back, and the property maps & ownership maps were good. The last few times I've been out, they're not working, anyone else having this problem? Bob

27-Mar-19
OnX has a setting to enable "pinch to rotate map", haven't tried it, but Ike, it might be what you want.

I wish they had a navigation setting for direction of travel is "up" like most GPS and Google Maps does. I am a new Onx user, and driving up a road yesterday to map out some public spots, on OnX I was going "down" towards the bottom of the phone, so everything on my right as I drove was on the left of the map.

27-Mar-19
Bob H. there is an on screen button you can push that will toggle between "north always at top of screen" and "direction traveled at the top of the screen.

27-Mar-19
wvbowbender - please send us a message or give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can get more information regarding exactly what is not working for you so we can get you up and running again.

Bob H in NH - as Helgermite mentioned, there is a "Compass mode" so the map will be oriented in whatever direction you are facing so that stuff on the left of the map is actually on your map. This page walks you through how to use that feature. http://bit.ly/CompassMode

And again, let us know if anything else pops up for you guys.

28-Mar-19
Awesome thanks! Didn't find that before!

28-Mar-19
The only issue I have with Gaia is my pointer doesn't point in the direction I travel. Instead of the tip of the triangle pointing in the direct of travel my triangle tip points off to one direction about 10 degrees or so. It's very annoying.

I am not sure this is a Gaia issue as Samsung has some crappy feedback on the net worth respect to their GPS functionality. My phone is an S8+ FWIW.

28-Mar-19
Always good to see a Sponser come on when a problem or question comes up...Thanks OnX Hunt!

• Sitka Gear