Treeline 15-Mar-19
Brun 15-Mar-19
wildwilderness 15-Mar-19
Beachtree 15-Mar-19
fisherick 15-Mar-19
digs 15-Mar-19
coelker 15-Mar-19
14-Mar-19
So life threw a pretty big curve ball... My wife was offered an incredible job opportunity in Wyoming. As a result we are about 99% sure we are relocating to Wyoming sometime this year. I will be in Colorado for most of this year. It is a good thing, but I have an issue with my points...

My points are as follows: 22 elk points and 14 deer points...

My initial thought was time to dump them as a resident before I get hosed into the NR pool. The issue is I have no idea what position I will be taking. So I have no idea what I will have for time off... I have always been a weekend warrior so hunting just weekends is not a huge deal.

My initial plan was to save points until my kids were old enough and take them on a couple great hunts. Well my kids are old enough now.

SO with my 22 points I can hunt archery or muzzy in units 2 and 10. I can likely pull a 10 rifle tag, but low odds for unit 2 rifle. If I become a NR I am looking at another 10 years plus to draw. I do not care about the cost of building points, just want to have a good hunt. Sadly in 10 year my daughter will in College and my son just heading off.. So what should I do?

Originally I was thinking about doing an archery unit 2 hunt this year and taking off 1 week of work and hunting all weekends. I just do not know.

Cash in, hold out, I am so excited to move to WY and hunt in WY. I might just forget about CO all together...

Cash in one tag only and hold out for the other? My wife has 13 points each deer and elk...

14-Mar-19
I’m not an expert and I really don’t have an opinion. I do wish you the best though on your move. It sounds like a good problem to have.

14-Mar-19
You will have lot of time to get to know Wy and you can still find lot of place to take your kids later.. You don't know what could happen in Co in the next few years that your point don't mean much. I'd burn them elk points in 2 or 201 archery. As for your wife she'll be in no mans land as a nonres.

14-Mar-19
Dont become a WY resident.... until you use your PPs

14-Mar-19
damn & to think I thought finding a place to kill some whitetails in VA was tough... my advice is do whatever is best for your family. youve got the rest of your life to hunt

14-Mar-19
Dont become a WY resident.... until you use your PPs

This. If you don't want to burn the points this year you can easily stretch out the Colorado residency until 2020 so you can apply as a resident. Either way I would burn the points before establishing residency. I would choose one of the archery hunts and enjoy.

14-Mar-19
You’ve already done your family right by getting them out of CO.......go hunting ! A year living in and hunting in WY and you won’t even remember CO. Good luck.

14-Mar-19
I would move ASAP and get my WY residency established as fast as possible. I care less about my Colorado points every year and I'm jealous that you are escaping :^) Good luck!

14-Mar-19
If it were me, I'd burn them on #2 archery.... Long as you are up front with schedules most employers try to be accommodating (just say that you waited 22 years to draw a tag and need some time off in Sept)...

14-Mar-19
I would do muzzy in the best unit I can draw. Archery takes more of a time commitment to get it done usually.

14-Mar-19
"My initial plan was to save points until my kids were old enough and take them on a couple great hunts."

You do realize that CO doesn't average out points so you can't use your points for your kids... Whoever in the group has the lowest points, that's how many points the group has. So if you go in with your kid who has 2 points and you have 22, you don't average out to 12, your group has 2 points and your 22 get burned with no benefit. Thus...

"my advice is do whatever is best for your family."

Your family really has no bearing on this since they don't stand to benefit from the points you've saved other than the satisfaction of the man of the house enjoying a well-deserved quality hunt. And if your idea was to just take your kids with you on YOUR hunt, don't you think the time would be better spent with a tag in the child's hand on a less quality hunt where it's all about them instead of you?

So burn your points on the best hunt you can. Once you're a NR, your options are going to take a huge hit so either burn them now or plan on continuing to save them with the idea that you're moving back and will use them then with more options. But if you're probably not going to move back, go now.

As far as which tag to draw, no one of us can guide you on that because we don't know what's important to you. Personally, I'd rather have an OTC archery tag than a muzzy tag in any of those units because I have zero interest in hunting with a ML. The importance you put on the weapon of choice is one of the main considerations when making your choice here and none of us will be able to comprehend your passions and desires.

14-Mar-19
Put in for certain draws so burn up the points and never hunt CO again.

Not sure of your job type or level within a company though I have been able to "grandfather" in pre-existing obligations as I hire in executives. Most of these have been events such as an upcoming wedding of a son or daughter, milestone marriage anniversary, milestone birthday, etc. The key is you need to have committed to the event so get the tag, book the motel, book the flights, etc prior to accepting the job and then mention you have a contingency to accepting the offer and then mention you will be unavailable for first 10 days in September and middle 10 days of November, or whatever. As a hiring manager, a one off exception is easier than getting you two additional weeks of vacation every year as part of the hiring agreement.

14-Mar-19
Since your up in the air with uncertainty in regards to the time off you my suggestion would be to burn the set of points that give you highest current value for them and save the other set and transfer them over as NR. For sure you can probably make one hunt work this year if it's a priority however with a move and new job two quality hunts with appropriate time might be very hard to do without cutting yourself short. So hedge your bets.

14-Mar-19
If you are about to accept a new job, when accepting it explain them you have a two week commitment in Sept. Ask if they would have any issue with you keeping it. There is a good chance they will allow you the time off if it is negotiated before you accept. If they have any problem with it tell them no problem you will cancel it and you are back to where you are now.

14-Mar-19
Oops I missed that it was your wife taking a new job. But can still apply if/when you take a new job in WY.

14-Mar-19
Remember, you wont be a RES of Wyoming until you established residency for 1 year.

That could help or not help, depending on when you establish WY residency. [WY residents applications are due end of May....]

14-Mar-19
Not sure about Wyoming but most states require being a resident for 6 months before getting resident status in a draw.

14-Mar-19
"Can I apply for a Resident License? To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing or trapping licenses, etc.) during that one (1) year period.

Any active duty member of the armed forces of the United States who has been stationed in Wyoming for ninety (90) days shall qualify for resident licenses so long as the member remains stationed in Wyoming."

14-Mar-19
I doubt you can stretch out your residency till 2020. I believe they go by the state you are paying taxes in and use 6 months as a guideline. A guy tried that a year or 2 ago in Utah I believe, and it but him in the azz.

14-Mar-19
Not an expert, but if I were in your shoes (wish I could convince my wife to move to WY), I would burn my elk points this year, 2 archery or 10 archery.

Your 14 (15 next year) deer points are enough to draw pretty much any archery deer tag as a NR.

enjoy Wy!

14-Mar-19
What LINK said !

14-Mar-19
Let your wife be the bread winner until October. Go unit 10 elk this year. You get cell reception in unit 10, your wife can call if she needs help. Line out Gramma to help too. Go for the whole month. You have the rest of your life to work, hunt now!

14-Mar-19
Absolutely go this year with your elk points! Go archery and plan to hunt the whole season.

Hold off on deer for you and the wife to do a great hunt together. You have way more than enough for a top end deer hunt.

If you have sheep, goat or moose points in Colorado try to burn them this year as well. Put in for the best draw odds across the board.

Do you have points for deer, elk, or antelope in Wyoming? If so, burn them before you move. WY residents don’t use points for those species.

Not sure how residency is calculated, but you may end up as a nonresident in both states for 2020 and it may even catch you in 2019.

You have to be in Wyoming a year before you are a resident. Read Colorado’s rules carefully. That clause of “with the intention of making Colorado their primary state of residency” can trip you up. Caught a buddy of mine that moved out of state and was not a resident there yet. Keep that in mind and check with CPW.

If you get several awesome tags this year in CO and WY, take the time to do them up right and enjoy it!

14-Mar-19

Treeline's Link
Double check the rules and make sure you are good.

14-Mar-19
In 10 years you’ll be paying 100k a year (after tax) for college. In other words go now! “Take a trip of a lifetime, every year”!!

14-Mar-19
so are you going to change your handle to wyelker or wyoelker? Coming to the CBA banquet this weekend?

15-Mar-19
Thanks guys. I really value all your information and you taking the time to weigh in. I am applying for 2. No matter the results I will be in Colorado until late summer. I have definitely entertained the idea that I should just wait to start a job until October, find a seasonal summer job and make some extra money, sell some stuff, etc.

Yes I will likely be changing my handle at some point. As for the CBA banquet I had other commitments that got cancelled today. So I am thinking I can make it, but I will see...

Thanks for all the input. I think we will cash in the elk and hope for the best. I am pretty optimistic about the NW units this year.

15-Mar-19
If you’re over there look me up. I spent a lot of time in 2. Will be headed to GJ shortly.

15-Mar-19
Good decision in my opinion coelker. I also agree with above advice to keep your deer points. You have enough now to get an excellent deer unit as a non-resident. Good luck kin the draw.

15-Mar-19
Good choice on the elk, should be a great year with the moisture.

Be careful with the Residency change. Stinks that WY has a 12 month wait vs 6, so there will be no way legally around it next spring, you will be Non-Resident in both WY and CO.

15-Mar-19
No one is promised tomorrow,cash em in enjoy life while you can.

15-Mar-19
Use your points, before you get the NR hosing's like the rest of us. It shall only get worse.

15-Mar-19
All good replies to the amazing opportunity you have with your points. Beachtree is right on in so many ways. Your healthy and able now and life has pushed you into a decision. Who really knows how you will be able in one month to even 10 years. Just sayin.

15-Mar-19
Thanks again everyone. In case anyone else reads this. The 1 year WY NR thing actually helps in my case. As mentioned I have 15 deer points now in CO and 22 elk points. But I also have 1 under max for Antelope and Elk in WY. So next year I will be a nonresident living in WY with 1 under max for lopes and elk. I am certain there are some great elk tags to be had for 1 under max and some really great lope tags.

The nice part is once I cash in the points, I will then be resident and have a chance to draw great tags every year... or maybe my wife or maybe my daughter etc.

I am excited about the opportunities...

• Sitka Gear