Nick Muche 18-Mar-19
ground hunter 18-Mar-19
Nick Muche 18-Mar-19
Bou'bound 18-Mar-19
Dino 18-Mar-19
ELKMAN 19-Mar-19
wildwilderness 20-Mar-19
16-Mar-19
I have found a brand new Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 in a pro shop. The shop owner offered to sale it to me for about half off the original price. I am going in next week and shoot the bow. For those of you who have owned or still shoot a carbon Defiant 34. Let me know your likes and dislikes of the bow. Thanks

16-Mar-19
I have a Defiant 34 in aluminum great shooting bow. I've never had any issues. It sounds like a good deal.

16-Mar-19
You will never regret getting it but you will have regrets if you don’t.

16-Mar-19
It wasn't the easiest to paper tune, but I love the draw cycle and how it shoots.

16-Mar-19
Loved it. One of my favorite Hoyt’s ever.

16-Mar-19
Definitely one of their better bows. I would jump on that deal.

16-Mar-19
Love mine!

16-Mar-19
Thanks guys, I shot the RX3 but they are pricey. The price tag on the Defiant is to tempting. He told me since it is a new bow It will be under factory warranty. I will know more after I shoot it. I read that the Defiant has a real smooth draw.

16-Mar-19
What was the last year hoyt made the Carbon Defiant?

16-Mar-19
17'

17-Mar-19
Great bow, I love mine and it is a shooter!

17-Mar-19
In my estimation the Defiant line was one of Hoyt's worst offerings. Poor tunability, very weak on performance. I would look for something else.

17-Mar-19
That’s why nobody listens to you ELKMAN! :)

17-Mar-19

TSJ's Link
Here is some info from 2016

17-Mar-19
By the wat I really like mine, maybe the best bow i have owned.

17-Mar-19
I liked the aluminum over the carbon, but both great bows.

17-Mar-19
I liked mine. Many complained of tuning. Not the fastest Hoyt models But smooth and shot good

18-Mar-19
Arrowflinger,

Basically the same thing happened to me. Local shop had one nearly half off. Special ordered but not picked up. So, I bought it. Draw cycle is really smooth but stiffer at the start than my older bows. Holds really well, meaning I find it very steady. I think it shoots great. For the price and warranty (another reason I bought it) you won't be disappointed. I did find it a bit harder to tune, depends on your cam position, but got some great help here on Bowsite.

18-Mar-19

Birddog's embedded Photo
Birddog's embedded Photo
While the weight difference between the carbon and aluminum isn’t much,technically. But It is remarkably noticeable to an aging “senior citizen “ who still enjoys all day “Elk Treks”. I have owned almost every brand of compound bow made since the early 70’s. Including an Allen. The Carbon defiant 34 is a very sweet bow. You wouldn’t be disappointed.

18-Mar-19
Great bow!!! I loved mine!

18-Mar-19
Some people are saying they had some problems tuning the Defiant. What type of rest are you guys using. I like the QAD but will use what ever works best.

18-Mar-19
My suggestion would be (before you buy it) have the shop put a rest on it and shoot it threw paper - if it tunes easy and without the rest way out of whack then I wouldn't be afraid to get it... If it tears bad/weird, stay away...

18-Mar-19
Never had any issues tuning them. And we tuned a few. We use Hamskea rests thou

18-Mar-19
The issue with the those cams is nock travel. The #2 cam was the worst culprit but all of them could be subject to the issue. Most will tune nock low and if you don't have fletching contact (normally you don't) there is no reason why it won't shoot like a dream. I admit it was a little annoying having a bow tune that way but ultimately if it shoots well it doesn't matter to me. The CD 34 is a much quieter, vibe free setup than the RX1. I can't speak for the RX3 series but if you can get a good deal on a Carbon Defiant I would take it.

18-Mar-19
I have plenty of experience on this subject, and I am very objective when it comes to evaluating bows: The truth is Hoyt has made COUNTLESS incredible bows. The Defiant line was one of their "less than" offerings. I would say look for a Spyder series bow, or get one of the newer ones.

18-Mar-19
If it is a leftover '16 then it is a 2.0 Cam and is not worth it (unless its a number 3 cam, they are fine)... Check the cam and look for the number. 2.0 Cams had problems with tuning. Some dealers still have the 2.0 cam in stock because of all the problems with them. You can get the 2.1 cams and strings from a Hoyt dealer and replace them. If anyone on this thread is complaining about tuning problems its probably because they were working with a 2.0 cam.. 2.1 Cam on the Carbon Defiant is on of Hoyts best. If that dealer is selling you a '17 with the 2.1 cam then it is a great deal.

18-Mar-19
If you haven't already, I recommend that you set the bow to your draw weight, set the draw stop timing, and then shoot it a few times. Then proceed to shoot some other recent carbon models if they are available (for example Carbon Spyder, RX-1, RX-3, along with some new Bowtechs and Matthews if available) and then decide how you like the draw cycle on the Defiant.

18-Mar-19
I am enjoying my aluminum Defiant 34 with #3 cam I have the 55 to 65 lbs bow and using it for hunting , 3D , and even turned the limb bolts out 71/2 turns using it for spots this winter.( Hoyt manual allows you to turn out your limb bolts 8 turns,) I have a 30 inch draw length using the #3 cam. My arrow length is 29 inches. I shoot gold tip hunter 400 arrows and find I can tune and use the same arrow from 50 to 60 lbs for all the above applications. Its longer length allows more stability for me and it really points well when fully drawn. And it is fairly fast for a longer bow. Thats a lot of adaptability in one bow. I have no plans to replace it and really enjoy shooting it. Is that the kind of feedback you were looking for?

18-Mar-19
how is the dfx3tr cam

18-Mar-19

Nick Muche's Link
Here's an older thread on the bow that may give you some idea.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=450559&forum=2#4165581

18-Mar-19

Nick Muche's Link
Here is another thread about them.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=457849&forum=2

18-Mar-19
Maybe not the same but I got a Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 in 2016,,,, was a new 2015, at the end of the year, and a lefty,,,, the archery shop sold it to me for 900.00 I love that bow,,,,,,

18-Mar-19

Nick Muche's Link
Here is another good thread about folks discussing some of the best bows for the past several years.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=459352&forum=2#4322887

18-Mar-19
ELKMAN FROM THREAD DECEMBER 2016 ON CARBON DEFIANT 34

"Its a toss up between the Carbon Defiant 34 and the Nitrum 34. I love them both for different reasons, but the one thing they have in common is they are extremely forgiving and accurate to shoot. Tough call. "

18-Mar-19
Both my son and I have the CD34 with the #3 Cam. We have found them to be excellent shooting, accurate and consistent. The dfx Cam is also a very smooth pulling cam, although not screaming fast. Overall, I am very happy with the CD34...

19-Mar-19
That's true Bou, but then I had a one in my hands for longer than a month and adjusted my evaluation of them. (Nitrum is still a phenomenal bow) Your #3 cam is fine for tuning, but dog slow, all the Defiants are. The Defiants are the only Hoyt's ever made that had issues hitting their speed ratings. This thread is FOR THE OP, and whether or not he could/can do better or worse than the CD 34... Period. In my educated opinion he can do much better.

20-Mar-19
I have a CD 34. lt actually shoots very well. I did have some tuning issues but a competent shop owner was able to figure it out. I do have to say it shot extremely well with field points out of tune. I had yoke tune it to get broadheads to hit with fp, and the rest is not in a ideal spot. I do have to say it is slow, way slower than my spyder turbo, but the cycle is a lot smoother. I was shooting about 67# lbs on my spyder but 70# on the CD34 feels easier...

• Sitka Gear