x-man 19-Mar-19
Bow Man 18-Apr-19
South Farm 19-Apr-19
35-Acre 19-Apr-19
Catscratch 20-Apr-19
t-roy 20-Apr-19
South Farm 22-Apr-19
17-Mar-19
Ive been pretty successful at making bad food plots. Im sure Im missing some steps and hopefully you can let me know where I mess up. My first attempt was a 1 acre plot in the fall. This one turned out ok. Planted 3 types of clover from the feed store at the end of August. I did get a soil test, added some potash per report. I killed everything first, tilled in potash, killed it again when new weeds came up 2 weeks later, dragged it out, spread seed and packed it in with ATV tires. Equipment Im using is ATV stuff. King Cutter tiller, pull behind sprayer and hand seeder. The next year the weeds came in. Tried to cut them down but it just got too thick. Decided to start over doing a spring plot the next year. Started out ok. Did the same steps as above. Weeds took over in weeks again. Tried a fall blend from Frigid Forage on another plot. That one turned out ok as far no weeds but was very patchy and the growth was very short, possibly due to the deer eating it down quickly. Anyways, this year Im hoping this will be the year. I would like to plant a fall plot of something annual that will attract the deer once we get into November. Thats when the deer start to disappear. Whatever I plant is not the main food source. There is corn/bean field across the road. They bed on my side when I have plots in. Thank you. Looking forward to seeing nothing but bright green acres. Located in MN

17-Mar-19
I usually have bad luck too. But as far as being a good farmer, my wife says I'm pretty good, in spirit anyway. Her family were/are all farmers and she says I can complain about the weather, seed, fuel and equipment costs as good as any of them.

17-Mar-19
Justin, You sound like me 5-6 years ago....still call myself the City Slicker Farmer.

I'm in MN as well. PM me and I'm happy to help with anything. And everything I've learned the hard way over the years!

Mark

17-Mar-19
Mark......aka....”the brassica whisperer” will get you lined out, Justin!

I would think some type of brassicas blend would ideal for drawing deer in November and later as well. You’re better off planting brassicas too thin than too thick. Did you get a hard rain after planting your frigid forage seed? Sometimes after a hard rain, the soil can crust over, especially if you compacted the soil with your atv first, and the sprouting seeds have a hard time pushing up through it. One trick that works pretty good for getting reasonably consistent, even seed dispersal is to split the total amount of seed needed for that particular plot into 2 equal amounts. Try to sow 1/2 of it going E-W, and then do the other half going N-S.

If you’re not sure if the deer were eating your plants down, you can put out an exclusion cage to measure the growth of your plants.

17-Mar-19
If your realized the subsidies my wifes family farms get, along with good business skills, believe me, they are not starving...... not all farms are created equal,,,, today its a business not like the old days

17-Mar-19
Sometimes your better off to plant nothing but herbicide resistant plots.

18-Mar-19
packing with atv struck me as odd ??? all that's needed is soil contact & farmers avoid compacting the soil. perhaps drag a peice of wire fence to aid in soil contact & to slightly cover seed but pack with atv NO

also you did not mention lime soil ph ok ?

18-Mar-19
Don't drag small seeds like clover or turnips. Till & broadcast right before you are supposed to have rain. Let the rain work the seed in.

18-Mar-19
I'm going to try a 1/2 acre of clover for the first time this year so you guys say just spray and pray for clover? For some reason I always thought it was like lawn seed in that you'd want it loose and then have a light pack afterwards.

18-Mar-19
Well, I grew up on a farm and nothing you guys are doing is how we planted clover or alfalfa. Both crops were planted in the early spring, along with the oats crop. The oats acted as the cover crop to protect the young clover or alfalfa. The oats was harvested in the fall, and the alfalfa or clover was left alone until the following year when it was then strong, thick, and healthy and used for hay. No weed control what so ever was needed.

18-Mar-19
I’ve used the atv over seed to firm the seed into the soil. The weight per square inch is not much so no problem with compaction. Works fine

18-Mar-19
My only success with growing a plot crop was pulling a drag harrow over a field of recent pocket gopher mounds, broadcast clover seed and it came up great. Deer found it quickly.

18-Mar-19
A cultipacker is one of the best pieces of food plot equipment you can use to plant with, especially with small seeds.

18-Mar-19
I tried a small plot last year and it was a failure. I learned some things from my mistakes. Try again.

18-Mar-19
Food plotting is a learning process. Read a bunch on Deer Builder and other forums. One I visit frequently is deerhunterforum.com. I even check in to QDMA sometimes to look at particular crops I'm interested in. Good luck !

19-Mar-19
Tilling and discing is about as destructive as you can be with soil. Keep the great tips coming. There is a reason farmers have to pound their crops with inputs to make the depleated soil produce income.

I’d start reading about soil health from real soil experts. You are feeding deer not making a living. Most weeds in foodplots are browsed by deer. They don’t care if they are perfectly manicured. Check out guys like Ray Archuletta and learn about nutrient recycling, cover crops, and soil health.

19-Mar-19
Thanks for all the input. What do you guys do once the weeds come in thick? Just keep cutting it down lower so the clover can get some space, or spray it with something that wont kill the clover?

19-Mar-19
If you’re going to spray clover, 2,4-DB (Butyrac) will kill most broadleaf weeds in clover and alfalfa. Make sure it is 2,4-DB, not just 2,4-D. Straight 2,4-D will kill clover. Clethodim is a grass herbicide that works on clover. There is a newer herbicide that they tout as being able to kill both grasses and broadleaves in one pass. Check out Imox. Keystone Pest solutions is a great source of information about using, as well as purchasing ag chemicals for your plots.

19-Mar-19
X2 t-Roy

19-Mar-19
JustPassin X2

18-Apr-19
Ive been pretty successful at making bad food plots. Im sure Im missing some steps and hopefully you can let me know where I mess up. My first attempt was a 1 acre plot in the fall. This one turned out ok. Planted 3 types of clover from the feed store at the end of August. I did get a soil test, added some potash per report. I killed everything first, tilled in potash, killed it again when new weeds came up 2 weeks later, dragged it out, spread seed and packed it in with ATV tires. Equipment Im using is ATV stuff. King Cutter tiller, pull behind sprayer and hand seeder.

Me: How was the clover in the spring?

The next year the weeds came in. Tried to cut them down but it just got too thick.

Me: I have mowed a plot with a lawn mower. I am not a herbicide guy. You have been spraying and still getting weeds. Is your application (mix ratio) correct?

Decided to start over doing a spring plot the next year.

Me: Are we skipping an entire year?

Started out ok. Did the same steps as above. Weeds took over in weeks again.

Me: I use mechanical means (working the ground) to release weed seeds from the seed bank. In my opinion, spraying weed regrowth, then tilling just brings up more weed seeds. You have a tiller. I would use it to terminate new weed regrowth. I would till progressively shallower.

Tried a fall blend from Frigid Forage on another plot. That one turned out ok as far no weeds but was very patchy and the growth was very short, possibly due to the deer eating it down quickly. Anyways, this year Im hoping this will be the year. I would like to plant a fall plot of something annual that will attract the deer once we get into November. Thats when the deer start to disappear.

Me: I would consider some brassicas, cereal rye and clovers. I am in northern lower peninsula in Michigan and still have spots of snow. Brassicas fit the bill, rye and clovers will green up the following spring. Rye will reduce weed pressure.

What is your plan until fall?

Whatever I plant is not the main food source. There is corn/bean field across the road. They bed on my side when I have plots in.

Me: What are they bedding in?

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing nothing but bright green acres. Located in MN

Me: Easy to spend you money, so join https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com/our-program

$25 gets you monthly newletters plus plenty more.

19-Apr-19
Quit "farming" and start hunting. Pretty simple..

19-Apr-19

35-Acre's Link
Justpassin - X3 Rit - X2

Tilling/disc-ing is bringing up more weed seeds. I follow a "throw and mow" method. Assuming good soil health (PH, etc.), spray off the field (if you want), plant into the field, then knock it down with a harrow, ATV tires, or whatever. The dead matter in the field will help with keeping moisture and protect the seeds. Seeds will grow up through that dead matter - you've seen that with weeds, it works the same way. By not having broken the soil by disc-ing, you should get a little less weed. Plant cover crops like Oats, Triticale, etc. along with your clover (assuming you want clover). Pray for rain. From what I've heard, the first year for clover is all focused on root development. The second year it's a better stand of clover. If you plant round-up ready clover, you can then spray to kill off weeds (if you want).

I've linked here to another site (Sorry fellas) as there is a TON of information on that site about the planting method that I have described. There is also a TON in the food plot forums listed here on Bowsite too. Both are great resources.

I am enjoying the transition from being just a hunter, and turning into a habitat planner/improver. Not just with plots but with trees, hinge-cutting, etc. Enjoy!

20-Apr-19
I'm with the Throw-n-Mow crowd. Cheap, easy, and super effective. Also prevents a lot of problems associated with breaking the soil. Lots of great info on the thread 35-acres linked!

20-Apr-19
Very helpful post, South Farm. Lots of great information there :-/

22-Apr-19
Glad you liked it t-roy;)

• Sitka Gear