kentuckbowhnter 20-Mar-19
Fuzzy 20-Mar-19
Trial153 20-Mar-19
Ollie 20-Mar-19
Mule Power 20-Mar-19
Huntcell 20-Mar-19
South Farm 20-Mar-19
19-Mar-19
I would like to get in the game and attempt to moose hunt. I know that it is either a money game or a waiting game. I'm willing to put the time in to draw a tag and go on a guided hunt out west or Canada. If you were to get in the moose game, what area would you look into? I'm 37 now and do not have points started and I don't have $20,000 to fly to Alaska for a fully guided hunt.

A moose is one of the 3 animals I have in my bucket list along with elk and mountain lion.

19-Mar-19
Been trying to draw my entire life. Haven't been able to do so. Idaho is perhaps your best odds

19-Mar-19
Go to Alaska without a guide. Way way way less than 20k.

19-Mar-19
I suggest Newfoundland - you might start researching outfitter's, pick one soon and save up now for that hunt in 3-5 years.

19-Mar-19
I'm willing to save up money and wait a few years if needed. I would guess a limit of $8000-10,000 total is what I would be able to save in 7-10 years.

19-Mar-19
Depends dramatically on your trophy potential expectations.

You are unlikely to ever catch up on any of the point systems out west for bull moose, unless you get lucky and pull a random tag.

If you care about a chance to shoot a big bull, go to AK. It's possible to do DIY, but takes lots of planning. If you just want to shoot any bull, go guided in Newfoundland. If you just want to shoot a moose, snag a cow tag in CO or WY. They are relatively easy to draw, especially if you have a point or two.

19-Mar-19
You can hunt moose in Newfoundland for under $10K at the present. Also a few western Canada provinces like Alberta and BC have some hunts for under $10K. Only other options are DIY in Alaska or get lucky as hell and draw a moose tag somewhere.

19-Mar-19
If you want a trophy you're talking Alaska/Yukon and big bucks, trip-wise and outfitter-wise. If you settle for a "decent" moose go to Newfoundland for a Canadian moose...lots there. Considerably cheaper...I've gotten a couple. In three trips I've gotten two bulls. My first was an 8 point because I was in "any legal bull" mode. My second was a 16 point after passing a few smaller.

19-Mar-19
I am your age as well and have been in the points game for the last 11 years. I am hardly any closer to drawing a tag today than I was 11 years ago. Every persons situation is different as are their likes and their goals. Some people want a guide and others want to go DIY. Some people only want to kill a monster bull and others are happy with a cow. Neither way is right or wrong but you need to figure out what your goals are and then come up with a plan. If you want a cow, you can apply in a few states such as Colorado or Montana and get a tag very easily and can get one DIY. Drawing a bull tag in the lower 48 is next to impossible, especially if you are just starting out now. In my opinion you would be wasting your money if you are just getting into it now. If you want to kill a bull, the most economical way to do it is to go to New Foundland. Lots of moose and relatively cheap but you probably will not kill a monster.

19-Mar-19
If you're not crazy about shooting a 60" moose, you can get a VERY reasonable hunt in Ontario for less than $8k. PM me if you're interested in details.

19-Mar-19
No mention of BC, particularly southern BC "Shiras/Canadian" moose (or should I say Canadian Shiras?) Anyone with experience?

19-Mar-19
If it is just the "moose hunting experience" you wish for along with a great chance at shooting a bull for a decent price, Newfoundland is great. You may not shoot a giant, but you will see moose and have a great wilderness adventure.

If you want to chance at the GIANT Alaska Yukon Moose on a budget, do your research, book a couple years in advance and go DIY to Alaska.

As far as the draws go, you are looking at low odds in the lower 48 with Idaho probably being your best bet to draw.

I've killed all of the species of moose plus a couple extras of a couple species. You absolutely cannot beat the adventure of hunting the far North for the giants but the learning curve on a DIY may take more than one year. In the Western States draws you will be hunting Shiras moose. Canada moose is probably your most viable option for the experience with a decent chance of killing one.

19-Mar-19
Deertick...Yes, I killed my "Shiadian" Moose near Cherryville. Great experience. Weather was too warm but after 20+ calling sets we got a nice one to come to the call and I killed it at 25 yards.

19-Mar-19

19-Mar-19
Consider where you live. Thier are great outpost hunts in Ontario for very reasonable and u can drive thier. Thus saving the expense of shipping the meat which can b an ugly bill. Many outfitters have fly in lakes that u may be the only people to hunt thier all year

19-Mar-19
Sounds to me like Canadian moose via Alberta, Ontario, Newfoundland is prob your best bet. Unless it needs to be 50+"

19-Mar-19
You best define 'moose hunt'.

Do you want to go moose hunting and experience it or is your goal to kill a moose?

IMO - The experience of moose hunting twice far outweighed having killed 2.

If you want to go, go. Put it on a credit card and then pay it off. You have a much better chance of fulfilling your dreams rather than saving for 7-10yrs.

19-Mar-19
I have done guided hunts (2) and many diy hunts. For the quality of the adventure, nothing beats diy for me...and it's not even close. For a first-timer who wants to kill a moose (as in reeaally wants to kill one badly) a guided hunt improves the odds of a kill. What to do? The answer probably has its clues in things like your need for adventure, self-reliance, bank account, independence and success rates. Only you know you.

19-Mar-19
I was in a similar situation. I drew an Idaho NR moose tag the first year I applied. Two years later I went on a short notice Alaska DIY hunt. I got a moose on both trips but they were very different experiences.

19-Mar-19
No game to get in. Go to Alaska DIY or pay for a NF hunt or some place else in Canada. Everything else is pissing money away

19-Mar-19
You have a pretty short bucket list with only 3 animals!!

19-Mar-19
From WI, I would look hard at Manitoba or Ontario. You could drive up there and haul your meat back.

19-Mar-19
DIY Alaska....go big. I wouldn't mess with the draws and points, a very fluid process anymore, points are being devalued and tough odds. Put that money into AK and shoot a bigger bull, lots of options to fit whatever style of hunt you want.

19-Mar-19
Are you set up and experienced enough to go diy? I would start with elk while you save money for moose. Lots of good advice above.

19-Mar-19
Mike Ukraintz is a sponsor on Bowsite he offers reasonable priced high success moose hunts in Alberta. Generally average size moose . I believe you can drive to his camps.

20-Mar-19
Don't forget Maine. Non residents get 10% of the permits. Last year 17,757 NR applied, with 247 permits issued. Chances for NR winning is 1.4%. You can buy chances for 1@$15,3@$25,6@$35,10@$55 or as many as you want.In Maine you can also have a subpermittee and either one can harvest the moose so if you have a partner both put in and double your odds. Not the best odds but for $55 bucks its not stupid money. I am a resident so my odds are more like 4-5% but have been picked 3 times and 5 times as the subpermittee. Current moose population is around 50,000 conservative with the majority in the northern part of the state. PM me with any questions

20-Mar-19
dont try to draw, just go to canada or alaska. cheaper in the long run.

20-Mar-19
Newfoundland

20-Mar-19
Maine is a money suck

20-Mar-19
I've been applying to Maine for 20+ years without drawing. I will likely die of old age before my number gets drawn!

20-Mar-19
You can do a really good drop camp in Alaska for 10k. Iā€™d do that before I spent money on points for 15 years and never draw in the end. Plus the moose are way bigger up there.

20-Mar-19
ā€˜. I would guess a limit of $8000-10,000 total is what I would be able to save in 7-10 years.ā€˜

By then figure to add $3k - $5k I had 5 year plan for a Dall sheep hunt by then the price had gone up 30% , screw it !

20-Mar-19
Ontario moose can be had for way less than $10k if you call around to various outfits and hunt on your own.

By the time you wait 8-10 years and save to hunt Alaska on your own the costs will double and you'll just be wishing you would've bit the bullet and went back in 2019. It will never cost less than it does TODAY, never!

• Sitka Gear