muskeg 20-Mar-19
muskeg 20-Mar-19
Elite 1 20-Mar-19
Franklin 20-Mar-19
smarba 21-Mar-19
Smtn10PT 22-Mar-19
Smtn10PT 22-Mar-19
20-Mar-19
I want to get my bear hide made into a pelt. I want to learn the process (vs paying the tannery to do it) of getting the hide ready before sending it to a tannery.

I have seen YouTube videos on how to take the skull out, do the lips, ears, paw pads and take it down to the ‘finger knuckle ‘ of the paw.

I couldn’t find any video of taking it down any further.

Do I need to do something with the toe pads and and past the last knuckle?

20-Mar-19
When you are skinning out the feet you will be able to see when you get to the spot where the claw attaches, it takes some practice but you can separate it at the joint with your knife and a little twisting. As far as the foot pads I cut as much fat out of them as possible before salting and sending to the tannery. I have one Im working on right now if you need any pictures let me know.

20-Mar-19
I would be interested in seeing pictures if you are willing to share.

20-Mar-19
me too for pics

20-Mar-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
This may help

20-Mar-19
Lol not pretty but it is what it is.

20-Mar-19
Next bear I am keeping those for Halloween

20-Mar-19
JohnMC, you beat me to it!

20-Mar-19

Boreal's Link
Guys, This is a great tutorial on processing a black bear.

20-Mar-19
Oh, really nice, Keith! Just about to eat pizza with my vodka while I watch your ND Bison in the play in game for the right to play Duke!

20-Mar-19
Me to go herd

20-Mar-19
Throw one of those in the Walmart parking lot. Your local police department will love you.

20-Mar-19

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
I have had bearfinger a few times.

20-Mar-19

muskeg 's Link
Bearfinger ... Sealfinger is the same thing.

Be very careful when your skinning & fleshing those Bears.

20-Mar-19
Oh man musk that doesn’t sound good or most likely look good at all.

20-Mar-19
If you plan on just having a pelt....cut off the foot pad and just leave the toe pads. The foot pad just becomes a hard curled up piece of nonsense.

When fleshing work from the tail to the head. The trick to bears is the root system of the bear hairs lay in certain directions at different parts of the bear. Slice too deep against the root lay and the hair will fall out.

21-Mar-19
Boreal's link takes you to an amazing video for skinning/preparing bear (or any) hide, thx!

22-Mar-19

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
bottom of the foot pad, I will continue to trim off the excess fat a little at a time
bottom of the foot pad, I will continue to trim off the excess fat a little at a time
I slit the pad down the side instead of up through the middle, I just think it looks a little better this way
I slit the pad down the side instead of up through the middle, I just think it looks a little better this way
Here are a few from the one I have going right now.

22-Mar-19
Another tip that will help is when you are skinning out the foot try putting the bone in a vise so you have both hands free, if you don't have a vise cut the toes off individually near where they come off the foot and use pliers to help skin them down to the last joint where the claw attaches.

• Sitka Gear