Contributors to this thread:
Archer1775 25-Mar-19
StickFlicker 25-Mar-19
Archer1775 25-Mar-19
Hans 1 25-Mar-19
map1 25-Mar-19
dirtclod Az. 25-Mar-19
25-Mar-19
Hello all. I have a topic that may have been touched on but didn't see exactly. I just got back from a 3 day scouting/shed hunting trip to try to find a new Mule deer hunting spot for Arizona's OTC early season hunt in August. The spot I found was absolutely perfect. The spot itself is a high mesa the has a 1500' drop on 3 sides so the deer are contained. Due to a stream and a large cattle tank it is well watered and is very green for the area, plenty of bedding spots/ feeding spots. I found two 3x3 sheds and one 4x shed with good mass. I also found several monster rubs where all the bark was ripped off of a pinon tree. The first morning I glassed some east facing slopes and saw a group of 5-6 deer and I glassed the tank and saw a separate group of 4 deer utilizing it. There is only one problem. . . There is a jeep trail that runs right through the area. I walked in on the trail which I thought ended about 1 mile from the spot. When I got to where I marked on my GPS that it would end it kept going all the way to the tank which is in the center of the mesa. There is no way my 4x4 pickup would have made it (Although it is pretty new so I wouldn't have even tried), however I know a Jeep could make it through pretty easy. I feel like this is a great spot but I would hate to invest a bunch of time scouting this spot and have it blown out by other hunters or even Jeepers going right through my area. What do you guys think, how do you guys usually handle roads?

25-Mar-19
In Arizona, there are roads everywhere. If you find a hidden pond, eventually some ass will find it and drive to it with something, thereby creating a new road. It's terrible here. You just have to learn to live with it.

25-Mar-19
I'm starting to realize you're right stickflicker. Every time I try to find a good spot I see there are roads leading everywhere through it. I have spent hours pouring over maps and can't seem to find anywhere where you can get more than 1 mile off the road. I'm trying to get away from all of the lazy asses that can't get out and hike but that's easier said than done. Thankx for the reply.

25-Mar-19
It isn’t the Jeep/truck traffic it is the 4 wheeler and SideXSides that are everywhere not sure if these are always hunters but seem like it.

25-Mar-19
Scout it more yes but have 3 backup plans if area becomes over run.

25-Mar-19
Others know about the water hole,otherwise there wouldn,t be a road there. Use that as plan"A" and opening morning when all the ATV's are thrashing the area go to plans "B","C",etc.Later in the season the Deer should move back. map1 is right about backup plans.In Az.if there isn't a road people make one!

• Sitka Gear