Dino 27-Mar-19
KHNC 28-Mar-19
JohnMC 28-Mar-19
JohnMC 28-Mar-19
Timbrhuntr 29-Mar-19
Paul@thefort 30-Mar-19
Beav 31-Mar-19
25-Mar-19
Turkey season is open in Nebraska. Sitting in blind waiting for daylight. Who else is hunt birds today?

25-Mar-19
I thought season open next week end?

25-Mar-19
MS has been open for a little over a week. i'm on the board!!

25-Mar-19

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Good luck getting lots of pics of this guy but season doesn't open for another month !

25-Mar-19
What part of NE are you in, John? How's the weather?

Good luck!

25-Mar-19

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Southwest as in across the road is KS. Birds are not to where they usually are yet. Think the snow and rain lately have them still bunched up, Been raining this morning but seems to be stopping.

25-Mar-19
Good luck.

25-Mar-19
Looks fun! Cant wait to start up north.

25-Mar-19
Good luck John! I'm passing on the opener this year and saving my vacation days for the youth opener. I did come thru Kansas and Nebraska (just north of you) over the weekend and it looked like the birds were still bunched up. Guessing winter showing up in Spring didn't help. Good luck!

25-Mar-19
Matt have fun with your sons! My daughter turned 16 and is not a youth in NE anymore so will be bring her during the general season. They grow up fast!

25-Mar-19
Good luck John! A little under 2 more weeks to wait here in SD!

25-Mar-19
Good luck, John!

My farmer tells me they are still in the big winter flocks near Kearney. He saw more than 30 toms and jakes together on Friday. It's great if you're in them, not so much if youre not. I'm waiting until April 5th and hoping its not a massive blizzard like last year.

25-Mar-19
Save a couple for me fellas....I'll be there two weeks from today.

25-Mar-19

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Past up jakes no Tom dead.

26-Mar-19
Looks like fun!!! Good luck to you. Keep us posted... Have to wait almost a month before I head back down to Idaho.

26-Mar-19
Yep things are running late this year. Chasing snows this last weekend in NE CO, all the turkeys seen were still in big winter flocks. One group had approx 55 birds in it and upon glassing them, every one was a long beard...

26-Mar-19

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Had 8 Tom come in a little while ago. But 7 of them got away.

26-Mar-19
Yes sir. Strong work

26-Mar-19
Good job, John!

26-Mar-19
Woot! congrats!

26-Mar-19
Heck yeah! Congrats John!

26-Mar-19
Nice work, congrats!

26-Mar-19
Way to start...

26-Mar-19
Nice, leaving tomorrow for NE to bowhunt and do some scouting for MJs hunt in 2 weeks.

27-Mar-19
Very nice congrats!

27-Mar-19
If you are hunting turkeys in the North Central and Northeast part of Nebraska call ahead to who you are hunting with and get a road report. Several roads and bridges are out or just plain gone! Good Luck this year!

Andy

27-Mar-19
Congrats!

27-Mar-19
Well done, John!

27-Mar-19
Congrats on a nice bird!

27-Mar-19
Nice John!

Whats the story? C'mon... there aint much else going on on Bowsite and turkeys are next on my list

27-Mar-19
Congrats!!!

27-Mar-19
Sorry to hear that 7 of them got away, but at least you got one! Congrats, John!

27-Mar-19
Anyone know of a place that I could turkey hunt the 10-11 in Nebraska? Guided set up place.

27-Mar-19
Nice work!!!! Pls keep the pics and story coming?

28-Mar-19
Yes, Call my buddy Dan Casey. He has land in Chadron. Literally 100's of birds and nobody archery hunting them. His number is 605 877 2550 . Tell him kenny referred you.

28-Mar-19
I am not much of a story teller but here is a short one. I spent a couple days out in southwestern NE hunting. I have hunted the area for a number of years. I have a good gasp of what the turkeys do and were they roost. Usually get lucky on at least a couple birds each season. First morning hunted a spot that most of time has a lot birds but only had two jakes come by so decided to move. Where I end up is about a 40 minute drive instead of 2 miles from camper so a little less sleep.

Spent the rest of my time hunting above a feedlot that is along a small river/creek (Notellem creek). The birds will come to feedyard to raid the feed in lot. I do not like to hunt to close to feedlot because that take the fun out of it. So I usually set up a few hundred yards above it on the edge of creek and sandhills. So that I am in the areas the birds hang out but they still have to be enticed to come into range.

The birds were not strutting or gobbling much at all. The only bird I saw in strut is the jake above I passed up. I heard maybe two gobbles that were not off a roost. When they flew up at night they still were not gobbling. A few gobbles on the roost in the mornings but less than normal.

Had four Toms come in first afternoon but came in from behind me and did not see them until they were about 5 yards from decoys and wrong place to get a shot and moved on before I could change windows. Next morning had a few hens and jakes come in but nothing worth shooting. Later the 8 Toms came out of the sandhills walked up to decoys and I shot one. Did not make a perfect shot and they all ran over the first little hill. Luckly I counted them and when I walk over hill I saw 7 going over the next hill. If I did not know it started as a group of 8 I probably would have followed whole group. But I knew they were one short so I started looking around and could just make out the one I shot in grass not far from when I lost sight of the group from the blind.

I had fun as always but I prefer it when the Toms are strutting and gobbling more. When they answer your calls coming strutting or running looking for a fight. It was a little early for that but still a successful hunt and nice to take a few days off and get away from the business. Will try my best to make another trip of two out this season. My 16 year old daughter that no longer a youth in NE likes to go so I will get her out there to I hope. No more 3 tags for $6 a piece. So probably one bird for her this year but if she shoots one early might buy another one for her too. I think she killed 14 over the last 9 years.

Did not take a lot of picture but here is one more of Jake strutting his stuff. I thought at first he was a Tom had 4''-5'' inch beard and almost a smooth fan. But when he was only 5 or so yards from blind it was clear his spurs were Jake spurs.

28-Mar-19

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo

29-Mar-19
Very nice and congrats I'm missing the archery season in Nebraska this spring so just have to read about it here ! Thanks for the story and pics.

30-Mar-19
Nice John. I am heading to NE in the am for 5 days.

31-Mar-19
They were going crazy the last two days!

• Sitka Gear