Bowfreak 26-Mar-19
t-roy 26-Mar-19
Jaquomo 26-Mar-19
MikeSohm/Magnus 27-Mar-19
Dave 28-Mar-19
Russ Koon 28-Mar-19
MikeSohm/Magnus 28-Mar-19
25-Mar-19
I've been using bullheads for years. They normally fly great for me. They hit about the same spot as my normal broadheads.

Last summer, they seemed off.

I just checked them yesterday. They are hitting about 12" away from my normal heads at 20 yards.

Now for the interesting part... I am using 125 grain bullheads on the Victory V1 arrow that Magnus supplies. The arrow has 4 feathers (2 orange and 2 brown). When I shoot with the orange feathers up, I hit about 12 inches high. When I shoot with the brown feathers up, I hit about 12 inches low.

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if my drop-away rest isn't dropping away completely and hitting the feathers...

25-Mar-19
Well... I probably isn't the dropaway rest. I put on a 125 grain field tip and it flew perfect. It hit right with my other points...

25-Mar-19
I called Magnus and spoke with Mike Sohm. He said that the blades need to be perfectly perpendicular to the shaft. My blades were definitely not parallel. I had been using the head to shoot at chipmunks. So my heads were pretty abused. Mike called back very quickly and was very helpful...

25-Mar-19
Mike is super helpful and quick to respond in my experience.

25-Mar-19
Might have something to do with the arrow's spine indexing (stiff side of the arrow).

25-Mar-19
Did your POA issue get resolved from the info you received from Mike?

^^Scoot X2.

25-Mar-19
t-roy,

yes. I had great flight in the past. Now, my blades are all bent backwards. Mike said that would definitely cause erratic flight.

I ordered new blades and expect that to resolve my issue...

26-Mar-19
I have had similar issues and believe it has to do with the spine and stiffness of the shaft. I've tried indexing the blades to the vanes with 3 fletch arrows and a number of other "tricks" but ultimately, the only way I can get some arrows to fly true is to rotate the nock until the spine "agrees" with the bow. Some shafts I could never get to work despite trying numerous things including refletching, indexing head to fletching, rotating nock, etc. If you figure it out, let me know. I've got two shafts that work well with any head and two that won't work with them at all. Frustrating.

26-Mar-19
Did you check the ferrule. I noticed on some of mine after use the ferrule where the blade sits started to wear causing the blades to offset and angle backwards.

26-Mar-19
if you have been shooting it at chipmunks - also check the nock and insert end of the arrow - make sure its still perfectly square. with a broadhead this large it is essential that the insert end is square so the blade will be perpendicular to the shaft as Mike said.

Bull heads will tell you if your bow is tuned!! its a great test.

I would paper tune mine bare shaft and get OK flight - even though i was shooting bullet holes through paper.

i then walk back tuned with a bare shaft out to 20 yards. once my bare shaft arrows are flying with my fletched arrows - then i can get the bull heads to fly great even at long distance.

You will want to shoot into a foam target - because you want to see that bare shaft hitting perfectly into the target - with no tail wag at all. once you can do this at 15-20 yards with bare shafts i promise you that your bow is tuned! and your bull heads will fly perfect!

also watch your form - your grip is of utmost importance when you have an extra long shaft and the biggest broadhead known to man on the front! i actually cut the end of my shaft on my bull head arrows about 2" and resquare the ends.

26-Mar-19
It's in your nock take the same arrow put different points and see what happens pretty sure it's all nock and spine position

26-Mar-19
Bent Blades = bad flight. who'd have figured?

26-Mar-19
Just curious - What kind of target are you guys using to sight in bullheads with? I have some I would like to try using. Seems like with all of that surgace area somethings gonna give, either the target or the blades.

26-Mar-19
Old crappy pillow, free hanging with a target taped on it.

26-Mar-19
I did the same as scoot when I sighted in the bullheads, never really had to move my sight pins much either. Full length arrow that they sell worked well.

26-Mar-19
Mad Angler,

Check your ferrule where the blades attach. If you have damaged the ferulle the blade could still be swooped back. I know my daughter has had a few do that from shooting them into the ground or surfaces they shouldn't be shot into. :)

26-Mar-19
I use an old pillow as well, except I put it in a cardboard box. Draw a bullseye on the pillow with a marker.

26-Mar-19
Spine shouldn't be an issue with the Victory arrows since the spine is aligned with the nock/fletches. I went out and shot a pillow a few times with an arrow with one slightly bent blade and it flew true. But only one was bent and not dramatically. I'll bet your bent blades are the problem. Occam's Razor is generally correct.

27-Mar-19
On our bullhead broadheads, if your blades are bent they arenot going to fly. If your using the victory bullhead arrows and your bow is tuned and blades are straight you wont have flight problems, we have guys shooting them out to 40 yards. If you damage one at any time, email us with your name and address and picture and we replace. You can also email me at anytime, mikesohm@magnusbroadheads.com

28-Mar-19
Mike, I understand about the blades being bent but I've had some arrows that won't shoot any Bullheads, even those straight out of the package. Surely, those blades aren't bent. I have spun the arrows to check for straightness, trued the ferrules, and tried different fletching configurations. I can actually steer the arrow by rotating the nock but I can never steer it into the center of the target. I can only steer it around the target in a circle. It always hits 4-6" off center depending on nock rotation. Only thing I can think of is that it has to be a spine stiffness issue.

28-Mar-19
Dave, sounds to me like you have a bad nock.

I mark all my newly made or refreshed arrows for groups and shoot them out to 40 yards to see if there's any difference in POI. Any arrow that consistently deviates from the group, even slightly, becomes noticeable if it's numbered and note is taken after each practice round.

I have only had one bad nock in my years of doing this, but it did show me that it was possible for a nock to be the cause of the consistent miss with an arrow that was otherwise perfect in every detail. I had inspected every detail of the arrow that consistently hit a couple inches left and low, and finally switched nocks with another numbered arrow in the quiver. Next round the arrow that had been missing hit with the group and the one with the nock that had been in it was left a couple inches and low.

I looked that nock over very carefully and could find no visible clue, and even disected it dissected it to see if I could find any air pockets or tiny cracks. Nothing showed up. It must have been soft on one side when made but the reason is still a mystery.

That nock was an Easton, and I have used others occasionally, but still shoot Eastons today and have never found another that needed to be culled, so I wouldn't hold that failure against them. But your result sure matched mine in terms of "steering" the POI around the target by rotating the nock. I also did that with the bad nock before dissecting it, placing it back in the arrow the opposite way from normal, and the impact point became right a couple inches and just high, 180 degrees from the original miss.

28-Mar-19
Dave something is wrong there. on the arrows what arrows are they and what poundage are you shooting? also what is your fletchings? are you shooting our victory bullhead arrows? With the bullheads, if you are shooting 50 to 55 lbs you should shoot 350 spine arrows with either 4-4 inch feathers or 3-5 inch feathers, if your shooting 55 to 65 lbs you need a 300 spine arrow same fletching as I mentioned on the 350 spine arrows, if your shooting 70 lbs you should shoot a arrow which is 200 spine, same feather combinations. it sounds like your the spine of your arrow is off, let me know and also you can email me, mikesohm@magnusbroadheads.com Thanks

• Sitka Gear