t-roy 28-Mar-19
midwest 28-Mar-19
Bigpizzaman 28-Mar-19
South Farm 28-Mar-19
Hessticles 28-Mar-19
Kevin Dill 29-Mar-19
Mule Power 30-Mar-19
27-Mar-19
Have a chance to chase my #1 bucket list animal the Alaskan moose! The dates would be sept 7th-18th, what's your guys experience with chasing them that early? He said it's usually pre rut with the last part of them starting to rut hard?

27-Mar-19
That’s when I’ll be hunting them due to the early season dates in the unit I’m hunting. Hoping for cooler weather compared to last year, that may really help. Good luck!

27-Mar-19
Both times I went, we started on Sept 15th and they we're rutting good from day one.

27-Mar-19
You’ll wish you were arriving the day you leave.

27-Mar-19
I agree 100% with Mule Power. On the other hand, any opportunity to hunt moose in Alaska beats wishing you were there. Don't think you can't get it done in that time period, though. I typically arrive in camp on the 8th or 9th and have seen bulls moving around on the day I arrive.

27-Mar-19
Thats way too early. You should stay home. Let me know who you are going with and I'll go instead

27-Mar-19
Bucket list animal, affordable and schedule agrees?...I know what I'd do! You could wait forever to get the perfect dates, with the perfect guide and still have weather ruin your trip, just go for it!

27-Mar-19
A lot of whats going to make a difference is what type of terrain/vegetation you are going to be hunting them in. If it's an area where you have the chance to glass a large area then no problem. If it's an area where you cannot do any glassing and relying on nothing but calling the later part of your hunt will most likely be the more exciting part. Have fun.

27-Mar-19
I went in 2017, with a friend. Guided, NW of Fairbanks on the Hogatza River. Hunted eight days starting about Sept 7. Weather was terrible in that it poured rain several days. I mean poured hard. The river rose about 8’ vertical. Sand bars were flooded which is where this outfitter preferred to call. Bottom line, not much rutting activity. My friend never got within 300 yards of a moose, but glassed some at a distance. I nearly had a shot at a low 50” but he apparently winded my guide or me and was gone. Was a very dissapointing Hunt.

27-Mar-19

JDECK's embedded Photo
JDECK's embedded Photo
I met up with a rutty bull on Sept 18th.

27-Mar-19
I don't think you can go much later. Doesn't season end Sept 20? It did where I hunted a few years back. What unit are you hunting?

27-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

Sept 16, 2016.

It’s too early. Better let me take your place.

27-Mar-19
"Doesn't season end Sept 20?"

Season dates start and end at very different times throughout the state, I wish they all went until at least 30 Sep, but that is not the case. Some end as early as the 15th and others into October.

27-Mar-19
jdeck...awesome pic!

27-Mar-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I killed this bull on the 16th, but things were pretty slow until the last couple of days of the hunt. I would prefer as late into September as possible if you have a choice.

27-Mar-19
Yep too early. Brad and I’ll go in your place.

27-Mar-19

kota-man's embedded Photo
kota-man's embedded Photo
Killed this one the 22nd, but they killed a bunch of good ones before I got there! If it’s cool and not pouring rain your dates will be fine.

27-Mar-19
Well sounds like I'll be turning in my Montana elk tag and chasing alaska moose!!

28-Mar-19
Good luck, Hessticles! Moose hunting is a blast!

28-Mar-19
Good luck, Tanner! You're a killer and you'll get it done. Please come back and share the story regardless!

28-Mar-19

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
I killed mine on the 20th in the pouring rain? Camp did shoot a couple earlier in the season but all rifle kills. Good Luck!

28-Mar-19
Given the opportunity I'd delay a week and go...chances are better you'll have weather more conducive to getting moose up and moving...sometimes early September can be pretty warm and short of a plane crash that's about the worst thing that can happen to a moose hunter. My vote, go a week later...and maybe even two if the season dates allow.

28-Mar-19
Sounds like the best we can do is the 8th-19th

29-Mar-19
Take those dates asap and hunt your butt off.

30-Mar-19
If it’s a ridge top hunt I’d say book it. You can locate bulls by eye. If it’s a lake or river hunt where line of site is limited and it’s really important to you to punch your tag I’d say book a later date elsewyor next year.

• Sitka Gear