Stickit 06-Jun-19
Brotsky 06-Jun-19
Box Call 11 06-Jun-19
Box Call 11 06-Jun-19
EmbryOklahoma 06-Jun-19
Ambush 06-Jun-19
Bowbender 06-Jun-19
27-Mar-19
I looked for the latest talk about trucks and couldn't find it. Anyone remember the thread? It was a few months back if I remember. Just like to discuss this topic some more. Leaning towards a Tundra or Titan. If you recall the thread, please paste the link.

Thanks!

27-Mar-19
What about the new Silverado?

27-Mar-19
there was a thread a few weeks ago the subject was towing hauling. with a 1/2 ton truck & quite a few folks spoke highly of the tundra. iv never even rode in one. a buddy of mine just bought a gmc 2500 which surprised me (he's a Ford guy) & he said the gmc was 10 k less than an f150 ?funny he said his grandfather won't let him park it in the driveway. me personally I'm a Ford guy always have been. but will drive anything if the price is right iv got an old s10 beater that I get around a month on a tank of gas with & keeps the miles off of my old f250 7.3 boat puller. good luck with whatever ya choose

27-Mar-19
I drove GMC Sierra's 1/2 tons for probably close to 20 years. This year I bought a new Toyota Tundra rather than a new GMC. Happy with the Tundra so far, the value in the Tundra for the price far exceeds the GM products. The GMC's I drove were more refined, quieter, rode better, and got better gas mileage. That said, they also had a lot more stuff to break and had a lot more issues than I hope to have with the Toyota. Time will tell. If not, then I'll probably go back to GMC with my next truck.

27-Mar-19

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I think this is the thread you're referring to...

27-Mar-19
Mike, I believe it was a bit older thread. I'll definitely look this over. Thank you.

For the record, I'll be buying a used (New to me) truck. Maybe 100k top on the miles. My old 97' 3/4 Chevy has just about run its course. :)

27-Mar-19
With any luck, you just started a new one..... =D

27-Mar-19
I have always driven GM,provably owned 20 Silverado's,never a problem.I have a buddy that has an old Tundra;he has replace everything but the motor and transmission.Frame,rear end,radiator (twice) ,exaust manifolds,water pumps,ball joints every 40 thousand miles and it eats tires.No thanks!Plus they are gas hogs.

27-Mar-19
My hunting truck is my every day truck. When I grow up I hope I can afford a separate vehicle for hunting.

27-Mar-19
I've had four Toyotas and loved everyone of them.....until I bought my F150.:)

27-Mar-19
I buy my Tundras at about 80 or 90,000 miles on them used..... My present truck just had the neutral safety switch go on it with 265,000 on it. I think I will get about 350 to 400,000 on the engine, but will probably switch it out by than....

I have had everything else, no thanks. I mean they are all great when new or fairly new, but the trucks today in my opinion are not engineered for the long haul.. If you can afford to buy new, and switch out every few years, than just about any truck is a good one.....

My old Fords went a long way but not today. as for the ride, I agree hard to beat a Silverado, but I could buy more land, with what they want for them,,,,,,,,

No thanks, for a used truck, I recommend the Tundra,,,,,, I also have a winter car which is a 96 Corolla, and that car I do not believe will ever die

I did have a Tacoma at one point, but the mileage was no better and sometimes worse than on my Tundra with the 5.7 in it....... However you press hard on the Tundra, and gas mileage is not going to be the best,,,,,, but for an old guy like me, a right lane driver, it works well

27-Mar-19
Make sure you take a set of chains to (test) put on at the dealer Rick.

And also bring a shackle for the tow/recovery hooks. Maybe the foreign companies are prioritizing these items more than the Americans though. ;^)

27-Mar-19
My hunting truck is my everyday ride, most days anyway. I have a 2019 Silverado. I believe it’s my fifth one of those. On one of my silverados, I had a speed module (whatever that is) in the transmission go bad. I had to limp 50 miles to a dealer at 40 mph. It was fixed under a recall. In the last roughly twenty years that’s been my sole problem with my silverados. And the new one is very nice.

27-Mar-19
I'm not opposed to Chevy/Ford. My Chevy has 282k and drives like a damn tank. I've changed about everything you can think of on it. I've been good to it and it's never left me stranded. If the damn thing didn't ride like a tank and had better door/window seals, I'd just pop a new motor in it. Plus I want a 4 door, as mine is an old school extended cab. I'll probably shed a tear when I sell her off.

For the record, I'm going to test drive a Ford too.

27-Mar-19

LaGriz's embedded Photo
Present rig: 2011 Toyota and custom built trailer
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Present rig: 2011 Toyota and custom built trailer
Have had company fleet trucks assigned that were Fords (2) and Chevy (2) with mixed result. On a 04 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab got great mileage (500+ miles per tank) with a 5.3 Liter engine. While the 6.1 HD1500 could not get 300 miles per tank full. The HD1500 road rough as hell (could not sip coffee) and the factory speedometer was off about 9 MPH. Cost me 2 tickets to learn this. My co-workers 2011 GMC has a cracked dash, Pealing roof paint, and the door handles have been replaced 3 times (plastic screws). This pricey 2-wheel drive rides well but I'm not impressed. GM is still in hawk to the US treasury for 30+ Billion. What still caps my ass is that BHO gave ownership 17% of GM to the labor unions (Both Us and Canadian). Let us not forget, the unions over reached and over promised, compounding companies financial woes. My personal trucks have been 4X4's. A new Nisan 2005 Titan Ex-Cab that was a most comfortable truck. Equipped with a towing PKG, it got piss poor mileage even on the HWY. The electronics drew lots of amps (even when parked) and required a new battery every 3 years like clockwork. The truck developed an awful squeak in the dash, and with no extended warranty, I feared for a computer failure or some such problem. Traded it in (poor trade in value) with 100k in 2013. Purchased a 2011 Tacoma Long Bed 4-door 4x4 with 9,000 miles. This has been a very good truck, with decent fuel economy. Have replaced brakes, tires, and a rear wheel seal that leaked. Toyota now has 110K and I'm going to probably run it another couple years. I do miss the full size truck on my yearly trips out west. During the rest of the year its all the truck I need. I do wish the Tundra came in an economic diesel or a more efficient gas powered V-8. Nisan came out with a Cummings in the Titan but they want over twice what I paid for my 2005 model. I may be towing a camper soon and will need to factor that in when I eventually replace the Tacoma. LaGiz

27-Mar-19
Titans have historically been piles of garbage with terrible resale values. The new ram 1500 is a sweet truck. I’ve driven them all quite a bit and that’s the direction I’d go.

27-Mar-19
If you buy new every time the warranty ends, the truck doesn’t matter, only the dealer’s willingness to honor the warranty.

If you’re like me and buy used and keep it for a long time, then over all cost per mile is what matters. Saving a little fuel while driving for parts and repairs, all the time, doesn’t make dollar sense. Resale is also important.

Total cost per mile driven at the end of ownership is the only measure.

And the only trucks that will more often that not give you that are Tundra and pre 2006 Dodge Cummins.

27-Mar-19
Ambush... that's me! I drive it until it shakes rattles and rolls. I just want a damn truck that is reliable, gets me out of some small time mud situations, up the mountain and to my hunting spot. As I age, I want a little bit of safety and comfort, and even more so for my wife. I'll go the used route and I'm sure I'll be happy. It'll be a far cry from the damn Sherman tank I drive and hunt out of now!

By the way... I have prettt much narrowed it to the Tundra. And... sorry I didn't mean to create another truck thread where it's a compare fest. A lot of subjectivity is involved with that circus.

27-Mar-19

lv2bohunt's embedded Photo
lv2bohunt's embedded Photo
The 2019 Silverado is a far better truck than the 2013 Silverado I had. It is the most comfortable truck I’ve ever had. I trust it will be trouble free as well.

27-Mar-19
Embry... you won’t regret the Tundra. I bought mine used with 90k on it. When I bought it, I had a recall for a new frame. Toyota did that and called me and told me, anything I wanted done on the truck I could have it done, and not pay labor, if I purchased the parts from them. I did. I’m now at 200k and it runs like a dream. My next one will be a Toyota, also.

27-Mar-19
Embry don't talk so rough about the ol' red Chevy.

27-Mar-19
I've got an 04 Chevy Z71 1/2 ton extended cab that is still ticking but getting close to retirement. Been a damn good truck. If I can get 15 years of reliable use out of the next one like I did this one, we'll be doing alright! Will pay close attention to this thread. Not sure if I will buy a half ton next time. A Jeep Gladiator looks like it would do what I need it to. Carry on guys!

27-Mar-19
Make sure you test drive an ecoboost.

27-Mar-19
I have a cousin in Huntsville AL that builds the engines for the Tundra. I believe the Silvarado's are assembled in Mexico. Good luck on the truck Rick!

27-Mar-19

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
 WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
I LOVE this truck!!!!! 5.0 chipped with air intake and exhaust work. Bought it used cheap, has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned, including all makes of trucks. New and used. Gets great mileage due to the after market tweets. It will flat out haul the mail. Pulls great. I know it ain’t what you want Rick but, I like looking at it. :^)

27-Mar-19

Mnhunter1980's embedded Photo
Mnhunter1980's embedded Photo
Drives like a tank, gets poor mileage, seems like there is always a light on the dash beeping Who am I? 2500 Ram

27-Mar-19
LMAO Joe! Damn Dodge. lol

Nick... is that the f150? Newer models?

BigOK... I'd better be kind, it has to get me around for a month or so. :)

28-Mar-19
The 2 Titans I've owned weren't piles of garbage. I put 225K hard miles on my 04 and currently have 138K on my '11. The early models were prone to bad brakes. They sorted that out quickly. The first gens 04-15 have rear axle seal problems which is quick, cheap and easy fix with a vent and the manifolds crack. Replace with headers and you're good to go. All trucks/models have their issues. The Titan gets horrible mileage especially a 4x4. Don't know as much about the new models but again Iove my Titan!

28-Mar-19
Chevy or gmc 1/2 ton with the 6.2 motor. It’ll roll and gets better mileage than smaller motors

28-Mar-19
Rick, yes, F150. The '15 and newer are all aluminum body. I have a 2016 2.7 and it flat out hauls ass. Pulls my quad and loaded down truck through the mountains like it's empty.

28-Mar-19

Native Okie's embedded Photo
Native Okie's embedded Photo
Your on the right track, buy used in well condition. Here is the shell I just put on mine, Rick. Actually had to take it back the shade of color was off but they are correcting it this week.

28-Mar-19
My 2006 f350 superduty with a bullet proofed 6.0L is still going strong, in 3 years I will get another superduty with the new gasoline 7.3L!

28-Mar-19
All I know is I thought my 5.0 towed pretty good until I bought a new 3.5 Ecoboost. I tow a Ranger boat, it's HEAVY, and that Ecoboost tows it like nobody's business, rarely if ever downshifting and all the while maintaining a better fuel economy than my old 5.0 got WITHOUT a load. I'm sold..

28-Mar-19
Im going to be test driving some in the next few weeks. Going to try a few fords also.

AJ... that shell looks good on the Titan!

28-Mar-19
How is the longevity on the eco boost?

28-Mar-19
You only see dead stuff in the back of Toyota's. Just sayin..... :-)

28-Mar-19
I bought a 2002 Silverado WT with the 4.8 l. engine. It has been an excellent truck besides the fact it started rusting the day I drove it off the lot, lol. I gave it to my oldest son about 5 years ago and it is still going strong. Even after demolishing a Kia Soul with it. Bought a 2011 Suburban 4 years ago and it's been a great family/boat towing/hunting compromise vehicle. But I've had some issues with it. Had to basically rebuild the rear differential at about 90,000 miles. And recently I'm starting to hear another buzzing noise as I slow down. Probably another expensive repair in the near future. Also has some lifter noise which bugs the hell out of me. Had Ford 150 and Ranger which both were kind of lemons so I kind of shied away from Fords. The only one haven't tried is the Ram. But my wife has had amazing performance with Toyota cars so I might go that route for my next truck. We will see. Do like the thought of the aluminum Ford and the thought of no rust. Buddy bought a 5.0 Ford aluminum body. Will see how he likes his.

28-Mar-19

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
319,000 miles 20 mpg best truck I ever owned 1999 F-350 bought it used with 29,000miles on it for $22,000 hauls 100 gal of fuel had it for 19 years

28-Mar-19

28-Mar-19
Just got my first Ford with the 5.0 v8 drove from Illinois to North Carolina and back last weekend. 22.4 mpg at 70 mph

28-Mar-19

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Here ya go Brotsky... Chevy. :)

Surfbow... what year is that truck?

28-Mar-19

28-Mar-19
I admit, I get attached to things. I am picky with what I buy in a truck, but then keep it for 8-10 years it seems. My last 3 trucks have been GMC Sierra's. A 1994 that I got rid of with 230k miles, a 2005 that had 248k miles, and my current one is a 2014 with 115k miles. I've been happy with all of them and have zero need to go away from a GMC, but to each their own!

28-Mar-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
LOL..I really can’t toe that Toyota dead stuff line yet either. I haven’t had mine long enough to put dead stuff in it like my old GMC!

Michael should be along shortly to get a good laugh and memory out of this photo! Ha!

28-Mar-19

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
...reposted for Brotsky's benefit

28-Mar-19

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
Ford's haul elk too :)

28-Mar-19
I bought the Tundra in 2007 when they came out with a bigger version, and it was a great truck, but I hated the configuration. The back seats folded down and the box was only 5.5'. The things I liked about the Toyota were the power in the 5.7, the suspension and off road capabilities seemed much better if you were leaving the highway. Since then I have owned three F-150's all configured exactly the same; 3.5 L ecoboost, 6.5' box with crew cabs( all white too:-). The F-150's ride so much better, the ecoboost is good on mileage and has plenty of power, incidentally the 2011 ecoboost I had got the best mileage?? I also love that I can fold up the back seats and put in my dog box or a bunch of gear if heading out west. Overall the interior size is bigger, I'm 6'6" and can put the driver seat all the way back and be stretched to reach the pedals, while there would still be plenty of room for someone to sit behind me. The F-150's have pretty low ground clearance and unless you want to put an aftermarket lift and a little bigger tires the Toyota was better for me off road. The latest F-150, a 2018 has only 13k miles but has been to the shop for warranty repairs twice already, IWE(locking hubs) needed replaced, a seat cooling fan was bad and there was a recall on the seat belt. When I buy the next one I would probably get another Ford.

28-Mar-19
How on God's green earth do you get a full grown elk into the back of a pickup truck?! I have a hard enough time getting a mature whitetail into a truck.

28-Mar-19
I’ve hauled a lot of dead bears in the trunk of an early ‘90’s Corolla, but I wouldn’t call it a good hunting truck.

A process I’ve found very helpful when used vehicle shopping is this:

Establish the criteria it needs to meet, as in the duties it must perform eighty percent of the time, plus any “must do/have features.

Find vehicles that meet the standard.

Get on google and research “common problems” with the specific model and year that you are interested in. Note that issues change by year, engine, series and options, so be specific.

If a model you really like has an inherent problem, cost it out over the time you expect to own the vehicle. An example is the fuel driver failure on some years of the GM 6.5 diesels. Factor in a relocate kit or one or two modules.

Sometimes you can get and excellent deal on a vehicle in need of a specific repair that you can perform cheaply yourself but the owner would have to pay a high cost for garage repair.

And a lot of issues have to do with perception. A good friend bought a new Chev diesel two years ago. Great ride, comfort and pulling power. But the thing was constantly at the dealer for warranty repairs. But according to him, it has no problems because it’s “all under warranty”.

On the other hand, Tundras are always slagged for poor mileage. “I’m always fueling up” or “ Buddy is always looking for gas stations with his Tundra”. That’s very true, because they have a friggin criminally small fuel tank!! Ridiculously small! Now that the newer ones have a big tank, no more complaints about mileage.

Cost of ownership (per mile driven) can only be calculated when you sell the vehicle. High initial cost does not necessarily mean high ownership cost.

For me personally, new vehicles are a bad “investment”. Manufacturers change up so many things every model year that they don’t have any history behind them. They don’t fix last years problems, they just change them. I won’t buy a vehicle that doesn’t have a good four or five years of road history.

If you buy new every few years, then really, who cares. As long as you’re getting looked after at your dealer.

I’m the guy that likes others to take the new price “hit” and “test drive” it for a few years, so I can get the best truck for a reasonable price.

28-Mar-19
"How on God's green earth do you get a full grown elk into the back of a pickup truck?!"

Well, first of all you start out not having a hernia....

28-Mar-19
Rick,

You mentioned a Titan. Since you are looking used, if you find a 2017 or newer Titan it has a 100,000 mile warranty. Best truck warranty in the business. This is my second Titan and this one will get 22 mpg on the hwy and averages around 18 combined.

28-Mar-19
How's the rust warranty on those Nissans? Never seen one that didn't have premature rust yet..

28-Mar-19

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
12yards, drug it with a 4 wheeler to a little to a small ditch where I backed my truck into. Then we drug it into the truck. We had 6 guys there, so it wasn't bad to drag it into the truck.

28-Mar-19
Iceman, That reminds of that joke about fitness. In your case, yea, I'm into fitness entire elk in the back of my truck.

28-Mar-19
hahaha! Good one, Rick. Guts and all!

28-Mar-19
Boy you guys must be flush! My hunting rig is a 1985 Grand Wagoneer!

28-Mar-19
Scoot, although Toyota is a Japanese company do you realize how many tens of thousands of Americans are employed with them? They do just as good for the US as Ford in my opinion not to mention I read that a lot of Fords parts are made elsewhere like Mexico so mute point. My last two trucks have been Tacoma’s and no other previous vehicle has been as reliable. Toyota for life here.

29-Mar-19

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
When I was just a broke college kid my daily driver hyundai tiburon was also my huntin' rig.

Nowadays my hunting truck of choice is a 2.5gen v6 Tacoma. It wouldn't be my first choice for towing much more than a small flatbed type trailer though....

29-Mar-19
After reading a couple of truck comparisons, new Ram and Fords were rated over Chevy. I have a 2014 silverado 1/2 that is not good on mpg when pulling anything.

29-Mar-19
Glunker. Towing kills the mileage on about all gas towing vehicles

29-Mar-19
Ahhh! Iceman! I see you have to just be smarter than a dead elk to get it done! Great idea!

29-Mar-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Stuffed to the gills under the lid, two moose on top.
APauls's embedded Photo
Stuffed to the gills under the lid, two moose on top.
Mine seems to function as intended. Gear in the back, quad or two moose on top. Interior is spacious enough to sleep laying down in the back seat for those roadies where you've got multiple people and need to drive 14 hours overnight to hunt at the crack of dawn. Very capable vehicle.

29-Mar-19

LaGriz's embedded Photo
05 Titan X-cab 4X4
LaGriz's embedded Photo
05 Titan X-cab 4X4
I transitioned from a "88" Toyota Landcruiser to the 05 Titan. With leaf-springs all around the HWY ride is very rough. A daily driver for years, I began to worry I would end up stranded on the route out west waiting on a hard-to-locate part to repair it . I still own this awesome off-road performer. In comparison the 2005 Titan was dream on the HWY. Very refined with A/C, comfortable seats, 6-CD Rockford-Foss gate stereo, Air bags, compass, and the very useful 170deg. doors on the ex-cab. Stereo was replaced under warrantee at 6 months, requiring the serviceman to drop the dash. Later I developed a short in the dashboard lights, and had my battery explode on year 3. Developed a annoying squeak in the dash (see the pattern) and had a second battery fail on year 6. This along with the poor mileage pushed me to replace it. In those times I had a assigned company truck that kept my personal mileage low.

The last 5 years I have been blessed with a car allowance (+ .55 per mile of company travel) that has off set my driving expense. Here in the deep south we absolutely need A/C and my employer required I maintain a quality vehicle. Purchased in 2013 with 9k miles, the 2011 Tacoma is all I need 85% of the time. It tows my light weight utility trailer just fine, and provides me with decent off-road performance once I get to my hunt unit. Fuel economy is a plus, and it works for me and 1 hunting buddy in my present situation. I'm told the Tacoma has the greatest resale value of any vehicle being made. Number 2 is said to be the Landcruiser LOL! LaGriz

29-Mar-19
The Big 3 auto makers must pay Toyota a ton of cash to not bring a three quarter or one ton Truck into NA.

29-Mar-19

sharp stick slinger's embedded Photo
sharp stick slinger's embedded Photo
Was thinking the same thing ambush. Cummins. Period. The boys of the family have two 12-valves, two 24-valves, and one 6.7 liter. Good fuel mileage, great longevity, and when you need to tow... It can. It will. Still worth $$ at 250k miles

29-Mar-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo

29-Mar-19
my every day driver is a 2wd 8' bed 93 Chevy s10. great gas mileage my hunting rig is an 88 bronco ll 4×4. I also have a 1978 Ford van with a 300 6 cyl & 4 speed manual trans that will run for ever. my boat & camper hauler is a 1996 2 wd f250 with heavy springs & the 7.3 turbo. my wife drives a Cherokee sport with the 258 inline 6. iv had good luck with older fords but will drive anything if the price is right. all the above mentioned vehicles cost me initially less than $6.000 & with repairs well under $10.000 I'm good at keeping old stuff going & will never buy a new vehicle

13-May-19

Out with the old, in with the new... 97' Chevy to 16' Tundra. Rides and drives like a dream. Look forward to getting it bloody this fall. :)

13-May-19
Is the wimpy Tundra behind the Chevy? ;>)

13-May-19
Great looking truck.

13-May-19
Sa-weet ride, Rick!

13-May-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
'06 Tacoma. Hauled a few deer and one cow elk in WA State. But since I hunt out my front and back doors now, no need to drive to haul animals. I just drag them out.

13-May-19
Ed’s old Toyota...cause the Arizona pin stripes are fo real!!!

13-May-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
My primary rig is a Toyota...Corolla. Back-up is a Nissan Titan. I like the Titan. Easy to work on. I put Bilstein shocks all around, did the rear axle vent mod and that's about it.

13-May-19
Nice upgrade Rick!

13-May-19
Nice truck Rick! Mine has hauled a bunch of dead turkeys now so I can say that Toyota's haul dead shit too! Ha!

13-May-19
Thanks! Now I'm looking forward to getting a matching topper. Good thing about that Toyota is it's already got a few scratches, so it won't be so hard to take once I slide it against some tree branches. BUT... I'll carry around some shears just in case. :)

Oh, and the wife LOVES it too.

13-May-19
Yikes easy Justin, you don't wanna overload that Toyota with too many turkeys at once. One maybe two per load, and don't forget to do the boneless method on whitetails to get the poundage down. Wear Kuiu/Sitka for same reasoning and you should be alright.

13-May-19

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Nice! This is going to be my next hunting rig. Not very environmentally friendly, but she’ll go about anywhere

14-May-19
$1,700.00 to replace a starter?

I hope you told them you liked to be kissed when you're being fu..ed!

14-May-19
Nice truck Rick!

14-May-19
LOL Adam, I'm gonna put 3 elk in it in September just for you :-)

14-May-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
2000 F250 with a 7.3 Diesel. 250,000 miles. On a tow truck because a thermostat malfunction. Been a great rig. Last Friday I went outside to discover it was gone. Thieves took it. We are on a Neighborhood alert APP. I posted this picture and two hours latter a neighbor spotted it in a parking lot. Slider window in back was broken and they used a slide hammer to pop the lock out. Glad to have it back.

14-May-19
I'm still driving a 78 F150. wife says we need a family vehicle. wish I could find one of these in a crew cab

14-May-19
if Ford is junk PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY over 90% of the ambulances & comerccial fleet vehicles in the United States are FORDS

14-May-19
There are no makes of trucks that are “junkkkk”.

14-May-19
Oh Shiite here we go...

14-May-19
Nice Truck Rick. I hope it works out for you.

15-May-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I happened to run across a picture of this old beauty

15-May-19

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Always amusing to see the ford comments.

15-May-19
Bob I only got 318,000 But my brother just brought me A six speed Transmission and a Just rebuilt Transfer case Out off his 99 that was totaled by a guy in a Toyota

15-May-19
Best elk truck I ever had was my '78 Ford F 250 (Ford, First On Race Day).. Sicker than a dog with some flu bug, I finally rolled out of bed at noon on the last day of Western WA elk season (it was modern rifle, but still a good story). I could not let it slip away without one more try. I drove up to the top of Timberhead and parked at the trailhead. Walked about 150 yds when all of a sudden I bumped a herd of cows along the ridge. That cover up there was thicker than sheeps wool so I just ran along the trail hoping to catch one cutting across the trail in front of me. Ran a few hundred feet and looked up through a small opening in the timber. There stood a giant cow. I dumped her on the spot with one shot. I get up there and it is the biggest dry cow I had ever seen. Easily as big as a decent sized 4 yo bull. I gutted her and went back for the truck. I got as close as I could along the logging road and backed up and butted the tailgate perp. to the side hill. The elk was 200 yds up the ridge and it was steep enough that I could drag her downhill toward the truck. I got her down to it and slid her right in after some back breaking dragging. I had to be very careful not to miss the tailgate. If I'd skidded her off to one side, I would have been quartering and deboning her right there on the road. She filled up the 8 foot bed from head to butt - every inch of that bed. I had to shove the tailgate shut against the butt. Huge cow! Drove it back to my buddie's and he could not believe I got that thing in whole by myself. I felt much better - the flu seemed to have left my body with the sweat! that's my best truck story.

15-May-19
I think W.Bob told me he only had two payments left!

15-May-19

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
This "junk" does everything I want it to do. Highly recommend the 4x4, 3.5 ecoboost.

15-May-19
I knew FORD was short for "For Old Retired Dudes". :-)

15-May-19
Like that Ford, Gary! Looks good with that topper too. Ford F150 was my second/third choice. Been a GM guy my entire life too.

29-May-19

Ernie santana's embedded Photo
Ford Raptors
Ernie santana's embedded Photo
Ford Raptors
These are my two daily drivers. The 2014 has double duty during the fall when I send it to the Midwest for hunting season.

29-May-19

Straight —» Arrow's embedded Photo
Straight —» Arrow's embedded Photo
The latest in a long line of 3/4 ton trucks. 2nd F250. I have literally owned every American made 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck....multiples of most of them and there is stuff I like and don't like about every one of them. I've been getting 12-13 mpg for 20 years at this point....

29-May-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
A tundra is hard to beat. Mine had close to 300,000 miles on it when it got hit. It would go anywhere. Granted....it was lifted and running 35s.

29-May-19

trophyhill's embedded Photo
trophyhill's embedded Photo

29-May-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
My 2007 Frontier, it's been good to me, I've hauled a lot of elk meat a lot of miles with it.

I was not good to it last Summer...hit a buck early in the morning on my way to work...air bag went off, but I wasn't leaking oil or coolant, so I drove it to work, and then to the body shop when I got off.

I was able to go back and find my license plate, a lot of meat chunks, and one antler.

Apparently, the deer just "exploded"...I think he was a suicide bomber ! :^/

29-May-19
For you guys that have the F150 with a 10 speed tranny, have you had to get it reflashed yet?

29-May-19
I’ve got the f150 with the 10 speed. 4500 miles. Haven’t heard of reflashing

29-May-19

JL's Link
https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2019-f-150/519042-2018-f-150-transmission-problems-10-speed.html

https://www.classaction.org/ford-f-150-transmission-problem-lawsuit

29-May-19
My work truck has the Ecoboost w/10 speed tranny. 60k miles and no issues.....

29-May-19
My 2017 Ecoboost with the 10 speed hasn't had any issues. By the way, with my truck, you can't even feel the shifting - super smooth.

29-May-19
Some of them require a reflash to get it to work correctly.

29-May-19
I've never owned a Ford before but sure enjoying the 2016 150 Ecoboost with the 6 speed. Pulls my camper like a champ. When not towing (with the bed cover) it averages around 19 mpg, and that's with a lot of mountain driving. My trusted mechanic advised that the key to long life with the turbos is to let them idle down and cool a little before shutting the ignition off. Only 40K miles but keeping my fingers crossed.

02-Jun-19

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo
I grabbed one of these beauties recently. It even comes with its own motorcycle.

02-Jun-19

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Been kitting mine out this year and turning it into more of an overland rig. It’s basically my do-sh*t mobile. 2005 F150. Only has about 80,000 miles on it as I don’t drive it much outside of hunting trips and trips to the range!

02-Jun-19
say what ya want I like old Ford's. here's one for ya the other day my wife was driving my 1988 bronco. & it wouldn't start. I was on the road so a buddy of mine checked it out for me. & one of the bolt tabs had broke & the starter was loose he pulled it took it to Pascal & they told him it was the original starter that's right 41years old still working except a bolt worked loose & the tab broke. bummer but iv had good luck with old fords. can't speak for the new ones

05-Jun-19

McCree's embedded Photo
McCree's embedded Photo

05-Jun-19

The last savage 's embedded Photo
The last savage 's embedded Photo
Love my tundra,,,I've owned 12 Ford trucks,,,to be clear ,my work truck is still an f250 superduty!,,love that truck....hell I love trucks period....yeah I do..

05-Jun-19
Badass McCree

06-Jun-19

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
ELKRAZY 2.0

06-Jun-19
Patrick, I like that you take a couch to camp on the utility trailer! (-;

06-Jun-19
Heat!!! That's a sick ride. Nice work. I bought the same one lol. Same colour. ...only thing is, mine has the 6'6" standard box. This is my nicest Silverado to date.

06-Jun-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
+1 W-bob

Why no love for the ole reliable Fords?

Good luck, Robb

06-Jun-19
McCree... that's a nice looking Tundra! Do you have a front end leveler? Lift too, I'm assuming?

06-Jun-19
Thanks Dino!

06-Jun-19
McCree, is that the factory lift on the Pro or did you add a kit? I need to get those black-out badges ordered for my Tundra, they look BA.

06-Jun-19

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
I purchased a 2008 Tacoma and have put a ton into it to “try” to make it my ultimate hunting truck.. so far 3”lift, backup camera, bedlined the sides, custom bumper w winch, tipper, racks, and more to come. I love the Tacoma for hunting the Rockies. The small wheel base is key to getting places and better in the mountains.

06-Jun-19
Brot,

"I need to get those black-out badges ordered for my Tundra, they look BA."

Get a spray can of Plasti-Dip. Mask it off, spray 4 to 5 thin coats. When you pull the masking off your left with blacked out badges. Typically you need to clean out a little on the letters.

And yes, that is one BA Tundra!!

06-Jun-19

Stickit's embedded Photo
Stickit's embedded Photo
I made this up to protect the front of the bed box and the back of the cab when hauling the four wheeler. I took a 1/8" piece of steel and had 2 90 degree bends put in it and then painted it with "rhino liner in a can". By bolting it to the top of box and securing a short piece of treated 2x4 to the back of the plate, it is solid as a rock.

No more scratches and dents from the winch. ;)

06-Jun-19
Thanks Tom! I had seen guys doing that online, looks like it works pretty good! I have a line on some OEM black badges, just need to order them and put them on. I've been procrastinating for no reason whatsoever! Ha!

06-Jun-19

Box Call 11's embedded Photo
Box Call 11's embedded Photo
Bought this 2009 jeep grand Cherokee when I retired in July 1st,2014 from the school district as a custodian.non smoker,low miles.just a great jeep.2" inch hitch,hauls my bike rack,and hitch haul basket.

06-Jun-19
Just can't stand these new space ship looking newer trucks.not trucks anymore and newer jeeps totally suck too.if I had the money,I wouldn't buy none of these new fangled supposed to be a truck or a jeep.nope.

06-Jun-19
It's okay, boxcall, I hate jeeps.

06-Jun-19
Heat, that was sure nice of Chev to make a Tundra look-alike so you guys can have the look without sacrificing your loyalty. haha

06-Jun-19

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
Yeah Box and Embry.... I fart in your general direction.

• Sitka Gear