JDECK 30-Mar-19
JayZ 30-Mar-19
cnelk 31-Mar-19
Scar Finga 31-Mar-19
LKH 31-Mar-19
carcus 31-Mar-19
Hawkeye 31-Mar-19
28-Mar-19
I elk hunt every year so have a lot of gear, but looking for must haves for Alaska moose. It will be a drop camp so we don’t have to worry about tent, stove etc. I have a kuiu chugach nx rain coat not sure if it’ will do or not… hip boots or knee high? Brands?

28-Mar-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Pants with knee pads are nice around camp when out of the waders and not wanting to kneel on a wet sponge
Pants with knee pads are nice around camp when out of the waders and not wanting to kneel on a wet sponge
We were glad we took a quality Siltarp with trekking poles. A basic blue tarp won’t keep you dry and are noisy. Take your own quality pack frame.

28-Mar-19
Are you going to be based on a river or lake with access to a boat or raft? If so, I’d recommend bringing a pair of easy to slip on and off rubber coated gloves. We were on a river with a boat and every time we would tie up, our good hunting gloves would get gritty, grimey and slimey from the rope. We brought a pair with us, and they worked great, but they disappeared on the second day of the hunt :-(

EDIT: I’d definitely recommend getting them in blaze orange, too!

28-Mar-19
I foresee you getting many opinions on gear/gadgets. :) I hunt in mountains where I can really see and not much for swamps and the streams are knee deep - For boots I use tall waterproof leather boots, Wyoming saw, heavy duty x-large game bags, bug dope, Kuiu Chugach will work great, spotting scope, bino's, heavy duty pack, knife sharpener or many replaceable blades, usually very cold mornings and then warmer during day so good insulation while glassing early, moose call of some sort............basically what you use for elk hunting. Have a great time.

28-Mar-19
I love a lightweight screened in gazebo for sitting around camp when bugs are bad. It can keep a person sane when in camp.

28-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
You’ll use a couple of these more than you can imagine

28-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

28-Mar-19
A small come along can be a lifesaver. Obviously need a quality rope to go with it . I hunted mostly in waist high waders. I agreed with cnelk in the pully wheels.

28-Mar-19
Ibuprofen. Plastic ratchet pruner. Z-Seat. Smoke in a Bottle. Mousetraps.

28-Mar-19
Crocs or something similar.

28-Mar-19
Bug suit top or net for your head or your face will look like a Naked and Afraid contestants bitten arse. Benadryl cream for the bites.

29-Mar-19
Too many variables based on landscape of hunting area and type of trip planned.

29-Mar-19
If your going to mess with the weight of pulleys, look up how to build a “Z DRAG” system used for cravasse rescue. They sell cheat sheets with a diagram. Build a 5-1 with 3 blocks or 6-1 with 4 blocks. Or buy lightweight 2-3 sheave blocks for more mechanical advantage. If you use 2 blocks incorrectly it’s Not worth the weight.

29-Mar-19

29-Mar-19

29-Mar-19
Cheaper than mountaineering gear, look at aborists equipment suppliers like Wespur equipment. They sell high quality blocks and complete rigs. A little pricey. But it will give you the idea how to build your own out of cheaper non human lifting safety type gear.

29-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I used one pulley to lift/lower the food bags twice a day.

Definitely worth the weight

29-Mar-19
Definitely mouse poison or traps

29-Mar-19
Must have's for me are quality rain gear (which chugach is great), quality tent - a source of heat is a REAL bonus depending on the weather, waders, some sort of boat or device to remove or access dead moose in water, ingredients to make good food, and reading material.

You've got acres more time than elk hunting, so using the time to make a good meal is awesome. It would suck to sit there with acres of time to make something good, and then ruin your gut on non-stop freeze dried meals.

29-Mar-19
Awesome! Keep em coming guys!

29-Mar-19
I buy a bunch of Paracord before going. On the last trip I bought a bulk roll and have enough for years. Use that crap for everything.

Like others have said a small come-along. Mine is called a pack mule, folds up and fits into like a small pistol-like hard case.

Kuiu Chugach rain gear has been dabomb, but I actually ripped a hole in my pant on a thorn last moose trip, reminds me i have to fix that.

Insulation. As in warm clothes. The first trip I shaved that part of my gear down and was cold. That sucks. Things like a blizzard Beenie from Sitka seem like overkill but when it’s freezing, it makes the hunt comfortable

29-Mar-19
Rubber or rubber lined rain gear is the most important item on your list, same with the gloves. We took along a gallon of Coleman Fluid which was nice to start a fire when you are freezing your butt off and everything is too wet to start a fire. A fishing rod with lead head jig with No. 6 or 8 size hook (forget what they are called but have long black feathers). Bug spray, bug spray and more bug spray. Hand creme and a finger nail clipper.

29-Mar-19
Nothing ever dries when it’s always either raining or humid. Take a second pair of boots.

30-Mar-19
Where would a course on unguided moose hunting taught by guides be offered at?

Secondly, what is the correlation between moose hunting success and weight of camp gear flown in?

30-Mar-19
Thomas, I’m sorry I don’t know you, so I’m honestly just curious, as I’ve never heard of “moose hunting classes.” Are you the one teaching these classes? I could see in any situation, a virgin to any particular species, it would be beneficial to spend an hour or two with an experienced guide. In all reality, it’s the same reason I come to the Bowsite.

30-Mar-19
^^^^ Can you please point out all the ‘misinformation and bad info’?

Curious minds want to know.

30-Mar-19
As regards gear weight, what I've found is that good pilots put an absolute limit on their hunters and will not let them exceed that or bring more gear than they need. This is especially true with Super Cubs and other light craft flying tundra tires in hilly or mountainous terrain. A Beaver or other heavy hauler on floats is a different matter, and guys can easily bring 100 pounds or more per man typically. My gear load is typically NOT ultralight down to the ounces, but I don't abuse things. I don't go out there to crawl in and out of a bivy tent, hence my tipi and a woodstove. And a chair. Oh yes...cot and thick pad. Plenty of food. I definitely don't go out there to live under a lean-to and eat sedges. I'll be comfortable because my hunt is both a hunt and a vacation of sorts...even if I'm hunting solo. I'm gone from the tent at daybreak and my hunting day ends when it's too dark to shoot responsibly. I've often said that being well fed and comfortable makes me a better hunter. Good sleep, correct nutrition and the right gear keeps me hunting harder.

30-Mar-19
I brought a pair of cut proof gloves to wear while butchering. It's a tiring process and the gloves are cheap and light weight.

30-Mar-19
Can you give me the name of someone who could teach me about unguided moose hunting?

31-Mar-19
Tdvorak - we are big boys here. If there is mis-information as you stated, let's hear it.

Or dont bring it up

31-Mar-19
If he will share his information, I believe Paul@thefort has experience doing this, so does some of the gentlemen at the top of this post as well as Tdvorak.

Get in touch with them and pick their brains!

31-Mar-19
Coleman fuel for fire starter was mentioned. It's too volatile and burns off too quickly. Mix half gas and half diesel and put in your coleman fuel can. Another choice that the planes take without issue is self starting charcoal. Easy to light and puts out heat for a long time to help dry your fuel.

31-Mar-19

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Helley Hansen impertech! Inexpensive and so good, my sitka downpour stayed in the tent!

31-Mar-19
That Helly Hansen saved me on a goat hunt as well. Good stuff!

• Sitka Gear