Forest bows 31-Mar-19
8point 01-Apr-19
White Falcon 01-Apr-19
buckfevered 01-Apr-19
SDHNTR(home) 03-Apr-19
Forest bows 03-Apr-19
SDHNTR(home) 04-Apr-19
29-Mar-19
Thinking about and looking into hunting free range axis deer. Texas is a destination I have in mind, but not limited to just there. I find very little information on the when, where, and outfitters doing a Bowsite search either here or on Google. Lots of outfitter websites pop up on a general Google "axis deer hunt Texas" search, and I am wading through them, but thought I might check to see what recommendations and/or information some of you might have. I do realize that in Texas, it is most likely going to be on private land, so the free range part is conditional on size of the ranch.

29-Mar-19
buckfevered: Look at Dustin Mcrae with Texas Safaris.

30-Mar-19

Tyler's embedded Photo
30 inch stag I took Jan 2018
Tyler's embedded Photo
30 inch stag I took Jan 2018
Queensland Australia with Trophy Bowhunts Australia. Mick is a good friend of mine so maybe biased and its a long ways to go for an Axis but your open to suggestions! You'll see hundreds of deer per day and can hunt at any time of year Jan Feb seems to be best though.

30-Mar-19
The words “free range”, “axis” and Texas do not really belong in the same sentence. There are places you can hunt free range Axis deer but I do not believe Texas is on the list.

Hope you find what you’re looking for, and good luck once you do!

30-Mar-19
There are free range options, you just have to research carefully. Here is a link to a site that on another forum has a good reputation. I have never hunted with him so cant speak to that. https://www.westtexashunt.com

30-Mar-19
There are free range axis in a lot of places in Texas but not sure what ranches offer free range hunts.

Hawaii would be a god option. Like Tyler said, Australia could be a great adventure!

30-Mar-19
Free Range in Texas mean the gate isnt locked.

30-Mar-19
Tons of low fence axis south of I10 in the Sonora, Junction, Rocksprings area. Good luck finding a spot since our whole state is private land.

30-Mar-19
Bunch of free range Axis in Texas. I would say maybe more than any other place. Not all of Texas is fenced.

30-Mar-19
Like Forest said, lots and lots of free range axis in Texas, but most land is leased and the axis deer is a much appreciated animal for trophies as well as table fare. Leaseholders ain't big on sharing. I kill them on high fenced places (does) for the meat only. Texas Hunters Forum has an exotic subforum, it may be worth your while to register and check some places out. Remember, when you're bowhunting axis deer, just because it's fenced doesn't make it easy. Axis are pretty damn jittery when they're pressured. Good luck !

30-Mar-19
Free range axis in Texas, learn something new every day. I’d have figured they’d all be fenced.

30-Mar-19
Hawaii! I just got back from Maui in February and had a fun hunt.

30-Mar-19
Nick, years ago, they were, but crap happens. Fences fail, creek crossings wash out from floods (in the Hill Country there's lots of rock so heavy rains cause flooding), and people with small fenced places couldn't afford the feed, so they turned them out. Central and South Central Texas are alive with Axis, Blackbuck, Aoudad sheep, etc. in lots of locations. Hell, we even have a snow monkey and warthog herd ! All invasive species and IMO, they will be a problem in the future. Maybe not as bad as hogs, but a problem nonetheless. Texas P&W Commissioners are political appointees and many have zero knowledge of wild animal management, and they change with the govenor. Not a good recipe for game management !

30-Mar-19
Texas is a side show.

30-Mar-19
Says the guy from New York.....lol.

30-Mar-19
This guy from NY owns property in North Texas. Its a train wreak down there.

30-Mar-19
Why's that?

30-Mar-19
When I was down for mine, there were more road kill Axis than anything else I saw along the highway West of San Antonio...What a great hunt!

31-Mar-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
buckfevered, a guy just posted an axis kill on texasbowhunter.com and used this call to get it done. It's my understanding that it doesn't work all the time, but if I were gonna try a free range hunt, (or large acreage high fence hunt),I believe I would invest $25 in it. This is my first time to see it, so......

31-Mar-19
"the traditional ways of hunting over a corn and protein feeder"

That made me laugh

31-Mar-19
I like Tyler's suggestion, Australia sounds awesome! I would guess it is spot and stalk hunting too which is my favorite way to hunt, although I don't get to do it too often.

There are a lot of high fenced places in Texas but there are definitely a lot of free ranch Axis deer. I have a lease on a big ranch that has a few Axis. They move a lot and the entire area is heavy cover, so they can be tough to hunt. Been getting them on camera at my feeder(s) for 5 years and I have seen them 5 times while hunting, and finally killed a nice buck recently. He was eating out of my protein feeder when I shot him, and for all you haters out there, I don't really care what you think. If you are on Facebook you may try joining a couple of hunting groups there. One is called Hill Country Deer Hunts and Leases. Another is S Texas Low Fence Hunting. Ask there, you may find the hunt you are looking for.

31-Mar-19
I don't know of any other place where "the circus" operates 24/7/365. That is a great environment to be a citizen !! Plus, they have a booming economy and pretty good politics (except Austin area which is turning blue due to the clowns leaving Calif- "techies").

31-Mar-19
Texas is probably the most solid state and we have.......

01-Apr-19

8point's embedded Photo
8point's embedded Photo
Can't wait to get back to my friends place in TX and bring my bow this time. Should be interesting. He's reported some 40 inch bucks since I was there.

01-Apr-19
Talking about train wrecks. How easy is it in N.Y. to get your CCL????? Where in N. TX. is your property??

01-Apr-19
Thanks everyone for the input. No place like Bowsite.

03-Apr-19
I've killed several totally wild free-ranging Axis in TX. One of my favorite hunts and the best eating meat on the planet.

03-Apr-19
Where did you hunt Nate

04-Apr-19
It's not a commercial operation. Friend of a friend kinda deal in the Southern Hill Country region.

• Sitka Gear