Panther Bone 24-Apr-19
trophyhill 24-Apr-19
Teeton 26-Apr-19
Rut Nut 26-Apr-19
Kodiak 26-Apr-19
ahunter76 26-Apr-19
Jaquomo 29-Apr-19
29-Mar-19
Alright all looking at 1 man tents for upcoming Wyoming Elk hunt. Planning on truck camping put having day pack ready for night or two away from base camp. This is my first Elk hunt somewhat overwhelmed by cost of everything that I think I need or want. I understand you get what you pay for so with that being said, looking to spend 100.00 or less if possible. Some of Alps 1 man tents look okay, also like looks of Eureka but really don't have much experience with lightweight small tents or what to look for? Any input would appreciated thanks!!

29-Mar-19
Check your local Craigslist, sometimes you can find better stuff at a good price.

29-Mar-19
You will find out real quick that you are better served with a 2 man which is perfect for one man and his backpack with a spot to sit your boots.

29-Mar-19
Might be hard to find something nice for 100$, but if that is your budget and a 1 man tent is what you'd like (I'd get a 2 man), then buy whatever you can find and use it, should be ok.

29-Mar-19
So many variables in the weather to recommend the perfect tent. Two man is just big enough for one man. They work but you don't want to have to stay in it for a 2 day snow storm. It sucks! Having perfect weather you good...if not you need a 4 man, or atleast a good size vista on a 2man for gear. We use alps and they worked great until you get 8" of snow. They start sweating inside if you dont dig out around the outside base for air flow.

29-Mar-19
Agree, buy a quality lightly used 2 man tent. Not a new $100 tent

29-Mar-19
No need for a tent for just a night or two in Sept., unless you want go out in forecast bad weather. I often bivy hunted for up to 5 nights in Colorado with just a tarp in case the weather turned. Even way back in our rifle days, we often went out for a night if the weather was good. For just one or two nights, you're never too far away from camp to bale out if something unexpected happens. One time I was out for 5 nights with just a bivy sack and nylon tarp, and it rained pretty steady for the first 4 days. When the weather broke on the last full day out, the temperatures plummeted. I woke up with a heavy frost on everything. Hunted my way out the last day, no worse for the wear.

I was just looking to upgrade my emergency/bivy tarp. Paria Outdoors has some pretty good looking SilTarp kits for $65 - $80. Light weight, waterproof, versatile, and good quality. It's really all you need.

29-Mar-19
Search Craigslist...something will come up.

29-Mar-19
I agree with the "2 man tent" theory. The floor size of a smallish 2 man is just enough size for a grown man. I purchased a inexpensive 2 man, re-waterproofed the fly, upgraded the cheesy ties and clasps and I was good to go.

I also agree with going to Craigslist. You would be surprised what some people buy and use once.

29-Mar-19
Sierra Trading post will have decent tents in your price range. Not great. In general, you can have cheap, or you can have lightweight, but you won't get both.

29-Mar-19

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I was going to suggest the tarp option but Ziek beat me to it. if you only plan to stay out a night or two, it may not be worth packing the weight and bulk of an actual tent.

You could buy a nylon tarp for well under $100 or if you wanted to save some weight and pay a little more you can get a silnylon tarp. Another good source is Campmor (see my link). Add a piece of Tyvek for a ground cloth (which weighs next to nothing) and you're all set.

29-Mar-19

Scrappy's Link
If you don't mind trying a floorless shelter the mountain Smith lt is a great shelter for the money.

29-Mar-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Definitely an 8’X10’ SilTarp. Very light weight and compact and can be pitched with one trekking pole or handy stick. Lots of room for two or one and all your gear.

Google 8X10 tarp pitch for some very practical and simple uses.

If you can’t live without a tent, then go quality used. Check hiking sites, Rokslide and “buy and sells”.

29-Mar-19
I also think it's better to just watch the weather and go out for a night or two with just a tarp. The idea of a quick bivy hunt is to be mobile, and the less weight the better. If the forecast is nasty stay at your main camp and day hunt.

If you do go with a small tent, a two man is better. I always figure any tent is actually only suitable for one less person than advertised. Good luck

29-Mar-19
That time of year, a Hennessey Hammock, aka "the bear piñata" is also a good option and closer to your price point.

29-Mar-19
That time of year, a Hennessey Hammock, aka "the bear piñata" is also a good option and closer to your price point.

29-Mar-19

Brotsky's Link
Here you go. $80 with the 20% off coupon. Heavy but you aren't getting a light tent for under $100.

29-Mar-19
I've done tarps and tents and almost always opt for the tent now. Tarps are plenty but I seem to find the day that was forecast nice and it ended up raining.

29-Mar-19
Seek Outside DST tarp. A little over $100 but bombproof and plenty big enough for a couple guys and gear, so luxury for one. Plenty of tutorials on set-up and weather proofing.

29-Mar-19
Yes, I have two Hennesseys. Don't use them when it's cold, that's Kifaru paratipi time. I've been doing well with a warmer bag than I might usually take.

29-Mar-19
I'd be checking eBay for 2 man tents like a Tarptent double rainbow or Big Agnes Fly Creek ul2 or the like. You'll be looking more like $200 though. Own a few quality pieces of important gear, otherwise spend money on tags and transportation. That will put more more bone on the wall. Good luck

29-Mar-19
I experimented with the Hennessey Freezer Bag and I concluded that it's not suited to September in the mountains. I froze my butt off with all the air circulating around me. I know that some guys make them work but by the time you pay for and pack all the extra gear you need to keep warm, I think the advantage is gone. Besides that they're nearly impossible to get dressed in and you have to leave your boots outside in the elements beneath you...

29-Mar-19
look into Appy trails mark 3, it's easy to set up, keeps the weather off you, and roomy

29-Mar-19
KSBOW

Look at a Eureka Solitaire. 2.6 lbs and $90. It would be fine for a night away from camp. I agree with all above that a 2 man would be better but I also understand your having a $100 budget.

29-Mar-19
If you go the used 2 man tent route get one that you can set up with poles/rainfly only and save weight for one person on nice weather days.

29-Mar-19

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
I am repeating what others have said. If you stick with a tent, go 2 man while solo. There is no guy that will ever be that close to me in a 2 man tent. I don't care how good of friends we are!

I used to use a 8x10 sil tarp. I stayed out days under it. I didn't even have trekking poles at that time, so I would use paracord to pitch the peak. Stake out the back end. It is a colder set up under the tarp, but you will likely live!

29-Mar-19
Unfortunately the Integral Designs Siltarp 2 is gone from REI or MEC's websites. ID got bought in 2011 and who knows what it was renamed to and if the new stuff is good. (read it is now Chinese made for the new owner). Anyway, a Siltarp that is 8'x10' is what I'd get for emergency use to have with you all the time and for lightweight limited camping out. Mine weighs 17 ounces including some very light cording and 7 very light 6" stakes I made from broken carbon arrow shafting with aluminum roofing nails cut in half and epoxied into each end (making 6" long "nail" stakes).

Otherwise I've settled on a 2 man MSR Hubba Hubba NX tent....but it is out of your price range new and at 3-1/2#s or so heavy to carry all the time.

29-Mar-19

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
PO Cedar's embedded Photo
Clearance at Sportsman's Guide..68.00...has bug nest, pole, stakes, ground cloth...I had the stove jack sewn in for a 11,000 ft. backpack hunt this season...

29-Mar-19
I just hurriedly set it up to see how much room I would have...has guyout points,etc...8'x8', lightweight if you go with the shelter only...

29-Mar-19
I had and used a Eureka solitaire for probably 8 years before spending the change for a much better option. This worked just fine and I think at less than $100 it is a real good option. Get a small tarp for putting boots and other gear under if expecting rain or dampness.

29-Mar-19
I have Big Agnes 1 man Seedhouse it a great tent, but I bought a MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Man. I won't ever go back to a one man. The extra room is a big plus. You can store your pack and bow. Also it has two vestibules which is a plus if you have a buddy with you. Make sure you get one with enough head room.

I live in WY and buying a cheap tent is a bad idea the wind here will destroy it in short order.

29-Mar-19
I recommended a tarp for a night or two. But I seldom even used it. I also didn't use a sleeping pad or bring a stove. Where I hunt, there are almost always large spruce trees in the area. Find one with a good layer of pine duff under it (most of them), trim a few low branches, and snuggle in. As comfortable as any pad, and the tree will shield you from most rain showers unless it really come down. Eat cold food. You're only planning to be out for a night or two. You don't need hot and cold running water, a soft mattress, heat or air conditioning. Use what's in the environment, stay light and mobile. I often went to bed with elk near by, got woke up in the middle of the night by them, and hunted them again as soon as I was barely awake. You don't NEED any shelter most of the time. Just a place to lay down and sleep.

29-Mar-19
For under a hundred I’d say jump on the one at Brotsky’s link.

29-Mar-19
Seek outside Elous

29-Mar-19

Teeton's Link
This might be what your looking for. Lifetime warranty. Good quality and great price. Ed

https://www.hykeandbyke.com/

29-Mar-19
Heres the alps lynx one man. Pros...It's lite..tough..held up to a few 40 mph storms for last 4 years, easy set up...the visti is just big enough for pack..bow, boots... Cons...To tiny for spending very much time in. Also plan to get rained on if it snows and your asleep. The windows are not enough ventilation alone. You need air flow at the bottom of the fly.

29-Mar-19

Junior's embedded Photo
Junior's embedded Photo

30-Mar-19
Thanks guys, it is really nice to get some much input! Really appreciate it!

30-Mar-19

Scrappy's Link
Big agnes frying pan is 40% off at rei right now. 149 for a two man. It's a little more than your budget but it's a pretty good deal on a good tent.

30-Mar-19
Just want to say about all the “get a 2 man tent”

+1000.

1 man = room for 1 MAN and no room for anything else.

01-Apr-19
"Ye Ole Tent Formula" An 8 man tent is good for 3-4 with gear, 6-man will be tight with 3 + gear, a 4-man will be tight with 2 plus gear, 3-man is a good 2 man tent with limited gear, 2-man Mt. tent is good for one, while with most 1-man tents you actually loose space. LOL! You might find a deal on a "pre-owned": Tarp-Tent, Clip-Flashlight, MSR, or a Big Agnes 1 or 2 man model.

Consider Floorless: Awesome resale possibility's : 6-man Tee pee is good for 2 with a stove + gear, Seek Outside Cimarron is Ok for 2 without a stove, Sawtooth is a very sought after 2 man shelter that might be tight with a stove for 2 + gear, Silverton and LBO are more of a solo shelter depending on the configuration. The cool thing about one of these shelters is you can sell it at the end of the hunt and get most of your $ money back. Good Luck! LaGriz

01-Apr-19

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Follow my link to a site that has a variety of shelters you can make with a tarp.

The shelter in my photo is the "Pyramiddle". The tarp was less than $50 and with a sheet of Tyvek for a floor it was very comfortable and dry. I just cut a stick for the pole.

02-Apr-19
KSBOW - Lots of good options are given above. Basically, you have two options. You either are looking at a 2 man tent or a tarp. Generally, the tent will be comfortable but the tarp will be lighter in weight. Also, most first timers start with tents. You can search bowsite and you'll find threads about going floorless (tarp) where guys have had bad experiences with mice, spiders, and more.

The tent will come with everything all included. Most every tent will have it's own floor. You don't need anything more. Some tents come with a "footprint". It saves on the tent's wear and tear. You won't need one if you pick your campsite carefully (don't camp on a rockpile).

The tarp is also a great option. You'll need the lightweight tarp and you will probably want trekking poles also, although they aren't necessary because you can tie the corners out to sticks or trees if you're creative. You will also want a ground cover so you're not rolling around on pine needles all night. A sheet of Tyvek cut just a little bit smaller than your tarp is perfect. You can buy Tyvek by the yard on ebay relatively cheap. If you work anywhere near a construction site you can probably just pick up what you need. If funds are really tight you can just use two sheets of Tyvek (one for your tarp and one for the ground cloth).

02-Apr-19
KS, one thing I would consider right off is how long do you plan to carry this thing on your back? I have a heavier tent that is bombproof that I will use if I do not plan on humping it around a lot. I have a lighter one that I will use if I plan to moving it around more. If you're planning to carry it on your back every day a tarp is probably the way to go. If you are just packing it in to a spike camp and leaving it one spot for several days then weight is not quite so much of a factor. As a first timer just be realistic about what your expectations are and what your anticipated use will be when making your choice. If you plan to only spend a night or two in it a cheap tarp might be the best choice.

02-Apr-19
Just saw this on Rokslide classifieds "Mountain Smith Vasquez Peak 3 2-man tent" Reduced to $150. Might be worth a look? LaGriz

02-Apr-19
I have used a Marmot EOS 1P tent with good results. I am 6' tall and 215# and had plenty of sleeping room. It has a easy entry side vestibule with room for backpack, bow, and boots. It weights less than 3#. I believe it is no longer made, but should be available on Ebay or Craig list.

04-Apr-19

squid's Link
If you haven't looked at Sixmoon designs, check them out. They have a 1man plus tent that utilizes trekking poles. Its $135 and if you watch they run sales that will get it into the 100 range. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/skyscape-scout

They make some really good tents that are super lightweight and very reasonably priced for what you get. There tarps are good as well.

06-Apr-19
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Meramac-2-Person-Tent/dp/B004QCMAOC/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=2+person+ultralight+tent&qid=1554594133&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204489011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A11426397011&rnid=11426396011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-2

06-Apr-19
https://www.amazon.com/River-Country-Products-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/B07DHYC1F3/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=2+person+ultralight+tent&qid=1554594133&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204489011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A11426397011&rnid=11426396011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-1

10-Apr-19
REI has some good deals on big agnus tents right now. 25-30% off.

10-Apr-19
I'd go tarp and bivy bag for what you describe!

12-Apr-19

TimBuck2's Link
Here's a cheap one for you that's not too bad:

19-Apr-19

KSBOW's embedded Photo
KSBOW's embedded Photo
Thanks for all the input guys found a deal on craigslist guy bought and never used was in original package unopened.

20-Apr-19
Nice!

20-Apr-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
$50 bucks. 2 man. Did 2 ten day trips & will again this year. Big enough to sleep comfortable & gear. clothing inside

20-Apr-19

Invest in a pad to sleep on I did 6 months in the Mountains (June thru Nov) with a 8x10 wall tent but a pad on a cot to sleep.

21-Apr-19
A litefighter 1 man tent has you packing about 4 pounds for the whole thing. 1 pound 10 ounces for fly, poles,, and waterproof foot print. Two big vestibules for gear too.

22-Apr-19
There are probably 20 tents that are 2-man, 3-season and weigh less than 5 lbs. Brand new. Cabelas, REI, Midway, on and on hell even Campmor. If there are bugs, mosquitos, pack tearing rodents you might want to think hard about the bivvy or trap stuff. Eureka makes perfectly good light tents, at least 6 models to pick from.

23-Apr-19
I've been silently following along on this thread. Thanks for the OP KSBOW. Great info from all and much appreciated.

After weighing all options and searching for used tents, I decided to go with a new Tarptent Stratospire 2 for this years elk hunt. This will be for me and my son. The weigh and packability mattered more than my need for something cheaper.

24-Apr-19
I just spent some higher end dough on the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 HV. Pretty close to the best reviewed, lightest, most packable tent I could find. Pretty happy with pack size, weight, ease of setup, and interior room. It's not cheap though. Also, I could not imagine actually sleeping in it with two people. I got this specifically for trips where I'm packing everything for the whole trip and space and weight are critical.

24-Apr-19
I’ve thought about buying a Zpacks camo Duplex. I don’t know anybody with experience with one though.

24-Apr-19
I was looking really hard at the tiger wall....my concern was durability.

24-Apr-19
Geartrade.com has some great deals on slightly used gear at times including tents.

26-Apr-19
Wow!!1 That B-A Tiger wall is only 2lbs 8oz pack weight.. Or the tiger wall carbon at 1lbs 11oz , but it's also about $500 more than the Regular Tiger wall. I'm not sure whether to say,,, ghee tents are getting liter or very expensive.. :) Ed

26-Apr-19
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1000 for a 2 person backpacking tent???!!! I thought you were Joking Ed..........................................until I looked it up! : (

26-Apr-19

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

26-Apr-19
Long ago in the nam era I used "half" a shelter, poncho & my pack weighed 80#s total. How the hell did we ever survive all those weeks at a time. In reality, go with what you feel is best for you & your budget. TONS of great gear out there today for these week, 10 day or 2 week jaunts that won't break the bank. If you think your going to still be using it 10 years down the road, quality does make a difference.

29-Apr-19
There is an on-line retailer that sold me my Big Agnes tent for over $150 less than I could get it anywhere else. I paid around $350 I think for almost a $500 tent. BackcountryGear.com. They took my order and then ordered the tent from BA. It took about 10 days to get it but worth it for the savings. I'm looking at them today and it's back up to $500. That was a good sale!

29-Apr-19
+1 Straight Arrow. I found a similar deal last spring from an online seller. If you're not in a rush just keep watching the Google. Unless its a newly-released model, most of the tried and true UL tents go on sale from time to time.

• Sitka Gear