Ken Moody Safaris 01-Apr-19
AZ~Rich 01-Apr-19
Buffalo1 01-Apr-19
StickFlicker 01-Apr-19
Stekewood 01-Apr-19
Bud Meadows 08-Apr-19
31-Mar-19

StickFlicker's Link
If you're prone to using duffel bags or irregular backpacks while travelling - you'll have to change your packing habits when travelling via OR Tambo.

New rules for checking in bags of irregular shape and size have come into effect at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport from today, Monday 25 March 2019.

The new rules are aimed at preventing blockages and breakdowns in the baggage handling system caused by bags that do not have any flat surfaces or that have long straps or grips as per the International Air Transport Association (IATA) guidelines.

Bags that are round or do not have a flat surface of any kind are the largest source of jams in the baggage handling system. These jams can shut down sections of the baggage handling system, delay baggage delivery to aircraft and inconvenience passengers and airlines.

31-Mar-19
Good info. Thanks for the update.

31-Mar-19
Thanks

31-Mar-19
Crap!! I just bought a “rolling” duffel shaped like a big beach ball.

01-Apr-19
So are rolling duffel bags with a stiff bottom ok still ? Using cinch down straps to keep the two looped carry straps battened down should eliminate that problem as well. I've done that for years to make it more compacted and tighter. If these rules apply only to checking bags in at TAMBO; what about all the bags checked in from other destinations that come to JNB? It would be hard to enforce or implement as all the airlines flying in would have to change their baggage policies. Maybe Ken Moody knows something more about this.

01-Apr-19

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
A rolling duffle like this is good to go. It has a firm, flat surface on the bottom. Just make sure all straps are secured.

01-Apr-19

A duffle like this is a no go. Loose design with no single flat surface. When underpacked these things can hang up on a conveyor.

01-Apr-19
Thx Ken.

01-Apr-19
Tks Ken

01-Apr-19

StickFlicker's Link
Not sure why it posted my original post again days later... April Fools I guess!

01-Apr-19
Good info. Thanks

08-Apr-19
If you are going to check a soft sided zippered bag through Tambo, you might as well attached a sign reading: "I'm an Affluent American Tourist- feel free to pilfer my luggage" The only ways to go are either hard sided luggage like a Samsonite, or my preference, a carryon Red OXX bag they can't pilfer or lose.

• Sitka Gear