Mossyhorn 03-Apr-19
Paul@thefort 03-Apr-19
Jaquomo 03-Apr-19
Monarchcx 09-Apr-19
cnelk 09-Apr-19
Korey Wolfe 09-Apr-19
Fauntleroy 09-Apr-19
02-Apr-19
I just want to apply for elk preference points only. What are all of the different licenses that I need to buy?

Is there a combo pack that will be cheaper vs buying them individually?

Can I buy mule deer PP for like $7 or $9 more?

Thanks for you help!

02-Apr-19
Get the small game license, make sure it is for 2019. Once you have that, it should automatically add the neccessary habitat stamp. Then go in and buy each species point (elk, deer, antelope, bear) that you would like for $9 each. Trophy species points (sheep, goat, moose) are more expensive.

02-Apr-19
Yep, what he said.^^^

02-Apr-19
^^^^^^Just like he said. Elk and mule deer points ($9 ea.) with small game license and habitat stamp ($91.75). $109.75 total

02-Apr-19
FYI -

You dont need to make 2 transactions. As long as the small game license is in your 'Cart' first, you can then apply for Pref Points or licenses and CheckOut once.

02-Apr-19
Yep, like Nick said, if you want just deer an elk points your total will be $109.75.....and you can add another state to the list where you can shoot squirrels.

02-Apr-19
What if you’re applying for an actual tag? Do you still need the small game license? If not, can you just apply for an impossible tag, get a point and then get a tag refund?

02-Apr-19
I did not see any way to get around buying the small game license.... and I applied for a deer tag that is pretty much a guarantee

02-Apr-19
Dang, what a racket! I bet this will improve some draw odds! Ha ha!

02-Apr-19
UNLESS, you purchase over the counter - then you do not need to purchase the small game license.

02-Apr-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

02-Apr-19
NRs can also purchase a bear license instead of a small game license. CO just lowered the bear license to $100 so it only costs $18 more than the small game license. For many people who are unlikely to use shoot small game this may be a better option.

EDIT: Oops! The bear license doesn't count as a qualifying license, sorry :)

02-Apr-19
Bear tags go on sale August 8th..might not make the application deadline with that option....

02-Apr-19
Besides getting more money from hunters, how do they justify requiring a small game license for just getting an elk PP?

02-Apr-19
ALL APPLICANTS, INCLUDING YOUTH, MUST PURCHASE A QUALIFYING LICENSE TO APPLY FOR THE BIG GAME DRAW: Qualifying licenses are spring turkey, annual small game, annual resident combination small game/fishing and veteran's lifetime resident combination small game/fishing. Licenses must be valid for the current license year

Where does anyone get that a bear tag would suffice from the above statement? Pretty cut and dried that you have the choices listed above if you want to apply for a tag or point

Hunr98: There are two reasons for the required license. First and foremost: more money. Second: More money. The first money is from us. The second money is from the Feds. They get more dollars for each "license" they sell. Understand now? It is all about the money :-)

02-Apr-19
Hunt98 - so people will no longer hesitate (if they ever did) to shoot grouse for camp meat.

02-Apr-19
Hunt98. Would it be better if they called it a Pref Point fee instead of a qualifying license?

02-Apr-19
Or a hunting license like Idaho? What are other states charging for preference fees for NR? Guts, feathers, and all?

03-Apr-19
Hunt98 - the reason that so many states are requiring us to get a license is because they want to maximize the department's income. First, the $$ from the license, but equally important is that the P-R federal funds are distributed to each state's wildlife department according to how many licensed hunters/fishermen there are. So by doing this CO (and recently NM too) increases their number of licensed hunters, which gives them more P-R funds.

If I didn't explain that right please correct me.

03-Apr-19
Oregon, Idaho, Utah, NM, I believe CO is just following suit. I'm sure we'll be looking at Wyoming also in the future.

03-Apr-19
In the future Colorado will charge a fee for elk, deer & pronghorn points. All the states are testing the waters to see how much hunters will pay.

03-Apr-19
How much will we pay? $109? $209? $509? Where is the cut point? WY for elk and deer for points is cheaper than CO again!

03-Apr-19
Thanks everyone for the info.

I begrudgingly paid the $100 for the PP and small game license that will go unused since I don’t plan to step foot in CO this year. I’ll plan to use the PP next year. It is what it is, but I’m done with the PP money grab.

03-Apr-19
After looking over things last night, I elected to not apply. I have one point for elk and deer. There is nothing worth more than a point in my opinion. So I’ll just wait till maybe next year and burn my deer point. Seems like a waste of money for more points that really won’t do much for me.

03-Apr-19
Hunt98, it is called, Pay to Play, ie the purchase of the small game and HS first.

03-Apr-19
Brotsky, you're right. The Willingness To Pay threshold is a moving target based upon a whole bunch of variables. When I studied the metrics back in college it was before the internet. Now with all the information available to hunters and managers, they and we have a whole lot more data to plug in to figure out what is worth how much to how many people.

In one of the large private fisheries I manage, we raised the daily guest fishing fee by 30% in one year hoping to cut down on pressure with zero net effect on revenue. Instead, our guest fishing pressure actually increased.

09-Apr-19
Next year I'm putting in for a draw unit and be done with Colorado pref pts.

09-Apr-19
I just paid $134 for a OTC NonRes turkey tag.

$109 + $25 Habitat for an effin bird

09-Apr-19
I'm going to cash out my 15 elk points and 9 mule deer points next year and be done with it. Just not worth it anymore.

09-Apr-19
Kinda hard for the CPW to stay in the black after the merger with State Parks a few years ago. Heard a testimony at a meeting from a woman stating that every man, woman and child should live no further than 10 minutes away from a state park. Cause that's feasible with enough hunting money.

On the bright side, the moose, sheep and goat odds might normalize this year after the fiasco last year.

• Sitka Gear