Cheesehead Mike 03-Apr-19
ground hunter 03-Apr-19
ground hunter 03-Apr-19
fisherick 03-Apr-19
Cheesehead Mike 04-Apr-19
Muskrat 04-Apr-19
Muskrat 04-Apr-19
02-Apr-19
I am asking anyone, who may know the answer to this question. Last weekend I purchased a Summit Climber, from another hunter at a show, for a ridiculous price. It is in excellent shape, and have had, and used this company product before.

This particular stand, the seat section is an open front design, but with just one single pad, as the seat. there is no folding seat that goes back or any back design, just a pad, which is fine. the width is 20 inches.

The bottom section has the foot stirrups on it, and measures about 18 inches. to pack it, the only way I can see, is the bottom section slides into the seat section, which it does nicely.

To pack it, and take the weight off my back, I am going to attach a molle system to the bottom section, for easy carry. the seat pad I will take off, and reset on the back of the set up, to get it out of my way during transport.

There is no numbers or any id on either support arms, for knowing what model this would be. I have contacted the company, but all I got back from them was an e mail on getting them the numbers, that do not exists. Not able to talk to anyone there that uses one.

Their catalog shows the open front designs, but they all have different style seats, or the seat section, is not as wide as mine, so they assemble differently ......

This stand was hardly used but must be an older design, anyone here, have a guess on what the model is.... unable to send a photo,,,,,

02-Apr-19
Go to the Summit web site they have all kinds of good videos on how to use and pack there products plus any accessories you may need.

02-Apr-19
More than likely it`s the Open Shot....which IMO is there best bow stand. The older models came in at about 13-15 lbs total and the seat was made of seatbelt looking webs with a pad on it.

02-Apr-19
I have an older Summit like the one you described. I think it was the XT or SD model? Or something like that.

Either way, who cares what model it is. You probably can’t get stuff for it now anyway. It’s an unbelievably excellent stand too. Enjoy!

02-Apr-19
Franklin that is it,,,, thank,,,, I thought it was an early design Open Shot. I just got it set up.

Bow Nut,,,, I did that, which led me to believe this was an earlier model, since it was not on their site,,, thanks

The TSTS fits on it nice, and takes off all the weight. The simple pad is all I need. I added stabilizer straps on it from 3rd hand, and platform strips also..... I will order some steal strips and will be all set.

Its also pretty light, and with TSTS, not much weight at all on your back, plus its quiet in transport, when I am done

The

02-Apr-19
Summit Bushmaster or Open Shot.??

02-Apr-19
12 yards, thanks,,, I got a PM and they said it was a Bushmaster no made anymore..... This stand was brand new, I mean the guy used it for 3 day bear hunt. He quit hunting at 81. I have the Summit Viper SD, but like this better

02-Apr-19
I think the Bushmaster may have been made exclusively for Cabelas. Not 100% on that though.

02-Apr-19
It’s an older model before they started making the open shot. I’ve owned three of them but have since donated them to hillbilly theifs.

02-Apr-19
Sounds like an Open Shot to me. I had an early one, when they were called The Bushmaster, that's before they even folded flat. Nice stand. Very comfortable.

02-Apr-19
I am going to replace the pad with a Hazmore seat...... I put it on the barn scale and its 17.4lbs

02-Apr-19
Sounds like my Bushmaster. Really solid climbing stand. The Molle pads fit to the bottom piece, and you can use paracord to extend the molle straps and adjust tension. It's a bit of a tricky maneuver packing it up quietly to slide the pieces together with the hip belt kinda in the way. But once you get the hang of it, it's not bad.

https://imgur.com/K1MIqAl

02-Apr-19
I think the Bushmaster was a little bigger stand than the Open Shot. Had more of a Viper platform size. I would have preferred the Bushmaster.

02-Apr-19
It might be the “MLB” (major league bow) model Summit was selling at the Dicks Sporting good stores. Looks similar to their open shot.

02-Apr-19
That's the one guys. Its called a Bushmaster

03-Apr-19

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Summit Bushmaster left (seat removed). Lone Wolf S&C right
Summit Bushmaster left (seat removed). Lone Wolf S&C right
Side view. Molle straps and Hazmore seat on the LW.
Side view. Molle straps and Hazmore seat on the LW.
ground hunter, The stand on the left is the Summit Bushmaster. Mine is about 15 years or so old.

I agree that the Hazmore seat is the way to go. If you use the Bushmaster, be careful so you don't step through the big hole in the platform. I also copied the Lone Wolf and added 3rd Hand stabilizer straps to my Bushmaster. I still hate that stand compared to the Lone Wolf S&C.

I also still have one of the original Summit Bushmasters made out of steel.

03-Apr-19

Be careful you don't step through the big hole in the Summit...
Be careful you don't step through the big hole in the Summit...

03-Apr-19
thanks Mike, I noticed that,,, I got the stand for 90.00 and it was even scratched up,,,,,

03-Apr-19
I've LOVED my bushmaster. It's got to be close to 15 years old as well and going strong. I have kept the original seat, and with that on, it's "stiff" enough, that the "hole" in the back of the platform is unlikely to be reached.

Great stand! For that money it's a GREAT stand :)

03-Apr-19
Cheesehead, can you comment on the yellow belts on that LW of your's? Are those some type of after-market belts?

03-Apr-19
sticksender,

My LW is actually the very first version of the S&C and those are the original belts. They were almost clear back then and mine may have yellowed somewhat over time. One advantage of the old belts is that they're transparent and you can see through them and see the internal steel cables and observe any damage or wear. Mine still look good.

I agree with Will that the original stiff seat on the Summit will keep you out away from the tree and reduce the likelihood of stepping in the hole. However the stiffness of the original seat is one of the things I did not like about the original seat. It prevents you from backing up to the tree and standing close to reduce your profile. The Hazmore seat will allow you to push the seat back and stand with your back flatter against the tree. I think the reason Summit put the hole in the stand is to prevent you from standing close to the tree which would reduce your leverage on the tree possibly causing it to slide down the tree. Lone Wolf does not have that problem or concern and I routinely stand with my back flat against the tree and my heals touching the tree.

I know that there are a lot of guys who love their Summits and if I had never used a Lone Wolf I might be in that same camp. I use my Summit a few times each year and every time I do I find myself cussing at it due to it's bulkiness and clankiness when packing it, unpacking it, attaching it to a tree and climbing with it.

I've thought about riveting a piece of aluminum across the gap on the Summit or weaving some rope or paracord across the opening to prevent my foot from going through. Might not be a bad idea if you add the Hazmore seat...

I agree with JTV that a hang on with sticks is more versatile but I much prefer my LW S&C for comfort and speed, ease and quietness of climbing and I'll choose it over the hang on and sticks every time that I can...

03-Apr-19
I just climbed with it, on a pole in the neighbors bar. I did not have an issue with the foot going thru that opening, no bigger than the platform on my sit and climb SD. I had no issues climbing with it, using the seat part, but you have to go up in smaller increments....

I like the sit and climb, but if I sell it, this year, I may look at the XOP climber that really is low profile at 4 inches,,,, I looked at that, at their booth last Sunday.....

03-Apr-19
that should read neighbors barn,,,, ha ha

03-Apr-19

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
My modified Summit Open Shot sit & climb.

04-Apr-19
groundhunter,

Stepping through the hole won't be a concern while your climbing, you just have to be aware that its there while your shifting your feet around on the stand like in the moment of truth when you're positioning yourself for a shot.

fisherick,

very nice modification. I've been planning the same thing for a while and even have the aluminum material for it, just haven't gotten around to it...

04-Apr-19
I hung a heavy nylon strap from the upper portion of the stand to sit in while climbing. Works reasonably well.

04-Apr-19
I hung a heavy nylon strap from the upper portion of the stand to sit in while climbing. Works reasonably well.

• Sitka Gear