txhunter58 08-Nov-20
Bowbender 08-Nov-20
lv2bohunt 08-Nov-20
opticsking 28-Jun-22
Zbone 29-Jun-22
Beendare 29-Jun-22
DanaC 29-Jun-22
02-Apr-19
Looking for a good set of mid level compact binoculars. The leica 10x25 and the zeiss terra 10x25 interest me. Any input on these or others ?

02-Apr-19
I have used a pair of 8x20 Zeiss Conquests in the treestand before. They have good clarity and got the job done. Not the best at low light due to the small objective but capable. The Terra line from Zeiss is more budget friendly and will certainly be lower quality than the Leica of the two you mentioned. One thing to consider is the small objective and the larger magnification, you may be better suited to an 8x, especially if the purpose is stand hunting. If western hunting I would definitely go full size.

02-Apr-19
Thanks. I have the Zeiss Conquest in full size but I wa t something a little smaller for deer hunting The leica is in the 4 to 5 hundred $ range but I figure better than the terra line .

02-Apr-19
I have been well satisfied with Bushnell Elite 7x26. Nice compact size, light weight and good clarity. They have been discontinued, but can be found on eBay.

02-Apr-19
i really like and use swarovski 8x30's. the 30mm lens lets more light in for early and late especially in the timber and they are small in size.

02-Apr-19
8x30s are about the bottom end of what I consider "acceptable light transmission".

You will be sorely disappointed in early morning and late evening viewing with 10x25s, even in expensive glass. Certainly they are better, but nothing in comparison to bigger lenses.

02-Apr-19
Love my 14 year old Leica 8 x 32 Ultravids (pre HD) that weigh 19 ounces. Had a pair of the same era Leica 8 x 20 Ultravids and did not like them. They had very critical eye placement, not quite enough eye relief for an eye glass wearer, and were slow to use due to these issues. I finally sold them for what I had in them about a year ago. They just didn't get any use other than an occasional hike behind the house over the last 10 years I had them, despite the handy size and 8 ounce weight.

I had Zeiss 8x20 and 10x25 "Z-folding" pocket binos earlier in life too. I have about the same feeling as I do for the Leicas. Just not as user friendly as bigger binos, although the clarity in the middle of the sweet spot wasn't bad.

03-Apr-19
I have a pair of Minox BV 8x25 binoculars. Also have a pair of full size 10x42.

I've used them for a couple of years but still struggle to use the 8x25. They are just not easy to look through. Eyeball position and relief were just too much hassle. I would go with an 8x30 or 32 if I had the chance to do it again.

03-Apr-19
I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x28 that are clear, bright, and compact to carry.

03-Apr-19
I am not very competent in this matter, but recently I’m busy looking for suitable, not expensive and high-quality binoculars, I like the Vortex Optics DB-204 Diamondback 8 × 42 model - Top Pick https://opticzoo.com/best-hunting-binoculars-under-200-reviews/This binocular gives you a very wide field of view that allows you to cover a large territory with minimal effort, regardless of whether you go hunting or wildlife.

03-Apr-19

Bowman's Link
I am interested in other options.

03-Apr-19
https://mavenbuilt.com/b-series-binoculars/

I've been more than happy with my Maven B3's.

03-Apr-19
I have used 8x30 Swaroski for deer hunting for 25 years.They weigh 19 oz and fit into my upper pocket of my Day one coat.

03-Apr-19
I’ve had Steiner military-marine 8x30 for over 25 years. They weigh a pound. They are well worth the money

03-Apr-19
I feel the need to ask why the need for compact binoculars? How are you going to carry them so that it is an advantage to go smaller? Or is it literally just due to the weight?

03-Apr-19
I want something smaller to carry while hunting . My 10x40 zeiss are great but fill up my backpack . I will be using the compacts in the tree stand and scouting.

03-Apr-19
I use swaro 10x32 ELs. I’ve used them on dall sheep to tree stand whitetails to ground blind turkeys, African plaines game and lots more in between. Have had the about 10 years and they will do it all.

03-Apr-19
10x32 Meopta HD or Cabelas version are excellent bino's. No less clear than my 10x42 Swaro EL.

04-Apr-19
OK, I don't know many people that carry them in their backpack so I guess that makes sense.

27-Oct-20

rocknbow's Link
Recently I’m busy looking for suitable, not expensive and high-quality binoculars, I like the CELESTRON NATURE DX 8X42 BINOCULAR model - Top Pick https://honesthunting.com/best-hunting-binoculars-under-200/ The Celestron Nature DX is a birder favorite with fully multi-coatings on its Bak4 prisms. The body has rubber armor and is protected against water and fog.

27-Oct-20
I've got a pair of 8x32 Leica Ultravids with a Rick Young bino harness- pretty nice little bino for treestand hunting, especially since i'm transitioning to being more mobile vs sitting in the same old stands.

27-Oct-20
I have a pair of Leica 10x25 BCA binos. For the size they are pretty damn good. In the open country I prefer to use my Leitz 10x40, Zeiss 15x60, or Zeiss 20x60 stabilized, but have used the smaller glasses on occasion and am always impressed how good they are for the size. I used them on an elk hunt in AZ this year (fairly heavy timber so couldn't see long distance) and they were great. I used them a couple days on Wy sheep hunt when I got tired of carrying my 15's and spotted rams at long distance before my guide who had Swaro 10x42. I would buy them again.

27-Oct-20
The Bushnell Elite 7x26 (formerly Bausch and Lomb Custom Compact) Buffalo1 suggested have had a great reputation for decades, so might be worth the effort to find. I've tried Zeiss and Swarovski 8x20s and been very disappointed with the extremely narrow view, so I'd avoid going that small, but I haven't tried any 25mm models. If you can go up in weight to 16 oz, I highly recommend the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. I think you'll have a tough time getting a good view in a compact 10x.

27-Oct-20
swaro 10 x 30 best ever

27-Oct-20
I have a 10x32 Vortex Diamondback I take bowhunting, I like the small size because they fit in a jacket pocket. I don't use them a lot, but it doesn't "feel right" if I don't at least have binos with me. They aren't too of the line, by any stretch, but they are decent enough glass.... most of the time I'm using them, a shot of over 30 yards would be impossible. They retail for $200, maybe a little more. I can't imagine needing more than that for looking at stuff at most, 100 yards away, and probably through brush. JMO.

27-Oct-20
I've had a pair of 8 X 32 Leica's for at least 15 years now I bet. They are around my neck and tucked into a vest or jacket while in a treestand at all times. I never know they are there. Use them constantly and they are perfect for what I ask of them.

08-Nov-20

rocknbow's Link
I used Celestron Nature DX Back4 prisms at 8X42 to give a 6.5-foot focus without compromising the high resolution. It is the best binocular under a budget of $200.

08-Nov-20
Take a hard look at the Vortex Diamondback HDs. 8x32’s are a hair over $200 and the 8x28’s are like $140.

Been spoiled by Ziess, Lieca, Doctor and Swarovski for many years and I’m a bit of an optics snob.

Recently bought a pair of 8x28 Vortex’s and have to say, I was impressed! Gave those to my boy to and picked up a pair of Diamondback 8x32’s.

The 8x32’s are going hunting with me this coming week and the Swarovski 10’s are staying home...

08-Nov-20
I just picked up the Maven B3 8x30’s for tight quarter tree-stand/ground-blind duty. They are fantastic.

08-Nov-20
If you get anything that lets less light in than an 8x32 you will have regrets. I had a 10x32 swarvorovski ELsand even those didn’t have good low light performance. And they don’t get much bette than that brand. Stick with 8x32 or 10x 42 if you want to see at dawn and dusk.

08-Nov-20
Bought my son a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42's for Christmas a year ago. I sneak them out of his pack whenever I can.

08-Nov-20
Nikon 7s 8x30 is 4.6 x 4.7 “ in physical size, comparable in size to the 10x25 and a larger exit pupil.

28-Jun-22

opticsking's Link
Recently I’m busy looking for suitable, not expensive and high-quality binoculars, I like the Uscamel 10x50 Binoculars With Rangefinder & Compass model - Top Pick https://uscameloptics.com/collections/uscamel-binoculars The Uscamel 10x50 Binoculars With Rangefinder & Compass is a Waterproof 10x50 High-Quality BAK4 Marine Binoculars With Rangefinder Compass. It is Attached With Bag and Strap.

29-Jun-22
Wish I'd had the money spent on boo-coo cheap glass I bought over the years, and even higher quality glass such Vortex and Steiner, probably could have bought a Swarovski, but I wasn't happy until I finally broke the bank and bought a pair of Swarovski Optik EL 8.5x42 FieldPro Binoculars... Luv these and are always in my backpack...

Have a Vortex 10x42 Diamondback on the counter beside the backdoor for critter watching out back, but tell ya what, for cheap beater glass always in the car and carried to concerts and sporting events and such, have a Bear Grylls 9 x 32mm Monocular by Bushnell... It's a pretty decent monocular for the price...

29-Jun-22
Ditto Tx58…..

29-Jun-22
Guys, the OP specified 'compact'. 8x42 and up are not that, although they are better for low light. Also the OP is in WV, so I suspect he doesn't need really high power optics for local hunts.

I own a decent pair of 8x42's and they're fine for a 3D shoot but too bulky when poking through the brush. A *good* 6x30 would be ideal at all light levels for my needs. Nobody makes them, used porro's date from WWII.

• Sitka Gear