The last savage 04-Apr-19
bighorn 04-Apr-19
TrapperKayak 05-Apr-19
cnelk 05-Apr-19
GhostBird 05-Apr-19
GhostBird 05-Apr-19
Ambush 05-Apr-19
03-Apr-19
I had one when I was a kid and looking to get a easy to carry one but still deadly on grouse. I am going to be on a muzzy hunt this fall in Colorado and plenty of the fools hens around...fun to shoot...quiet and tasty....any suggestions...

03-Apr-19
I used to love mine,lots of Cottonails fell to it.I've been looking but no one seems to carry them anymore.

03-Apr-19
I saw them in Walmart in Kansas this past fall. I had forgot about them since NY banned them.

03-Apr-19
Boy, that brings back memories. Try e-Bay.

03-Apr-19
https://www.dankung.com/Gcontent/jungle-hunter-dankung-slingshot_usa-black-paracord-edition_1239?refSrc=1238&nosto=nosto-page-product3

Take a look at these. Very small and easy to carry in a pack.

03-Apr-19
Dirt clod I just googled lots and lot of models and places to buy out there....I had a basic one and then got a bigger more "Star Wars" and that think would really shoot..but too big to carry around unless your primary weapon...sometimes I would put birdshot on the pouch for starlings and sparrows worked great...

03-Apr-19
Amazon has a selection of them. Adventurewriter I used Ball Bearing and Marbles. Even used coarse sand on Lizards.

03-Apr-19
I just had a rush of memories about growing up and walking my parents property shooting any bird I could find.

03-Apr-19
I wondered if a sling shot was legal for small game in CO. It is - from the small game regs:

4.Air guns and slingshots allowed for dusky grouse and ptarmigan.

I don't know much about air guns especially pistols. Would any of them have enough ump to kill a grouse?

03-Apr-19
Heck yes I use them all the time on Rabbits ,Quail and Collared Doves.

.177 cal air rifles

03-Apr-19
Aghh Ted the stories I could tell you...I've religiously shot wrist rocket for 4o + years...I shoot recurve instinctive which in my opinion the 2 go hand in hand.I'm not going to recommend a brand or type because as its similarity to trad archery.What works for me may not work for you...but I will say,slingshots with ten stationary drop down fore arm rest are far more accurate than the flip up wrist brace models .as always,shoot it alot and as already said marbles,nuts,roller bearings,,all shoot well,,.I can still shoot birds out if the air, at a recent wedding in nc, everyone was on the skeet shooting platform,,,there I was w the slingshot giving um hell,had a few I'm not sure who hit that's, accurate out to 20 yards,beyond that the projectile drifts due to lack of propulsion...good luck!!

03-Apr-19
Killed a bunch of critters with one! When I started shooting marbles my success went way up!!!!

03-Apr-19
Killed a bunch of critters with one! When I started shooting marbles my success went way up!!!!

03-Apr-19
Ha ha yep marbles was where it was at!! Could knock them off the telephone lines like nothing!

03-Apr-19
When I was young growing up in Pa., we had a train track along our property line. We would walk that track and pick up pockets full of iron ore pellets. They worked great with the ole wrist rocket.

03-Apr-19
I keep Barnett Black Widow wrist rockets in a survival kit in both my vehicles... Can get them at Walley world for around $17...

03-Apr-19
You want to have some fun....buy the one with a whisker biscuit on it that shoots small arrows.

03-Apr-19
I normally just used a rock I would think that ball bearings would have more penetration and marbles more knock down break a wing impact... think about it in perspective that is a steel pool ball coming at you.... the internet say 250 fps....that's friggin deadly or if not deadly enough to knock you silly enough for "David" to come wring yer neck

03-Apr-19
The best flying projectiles out of a wrist rocket were 3/8" threaded nuts. The flew straight and hit hard. Expensive tho

03-Apr-19
Jax has cheap nuts and bolts unlike Home Depot or at least they use to I like the metal angles and their damage potential

03-Apr-19
I used marbles also! Pigeons didn't stand a chance!

03-Apr-19

standswittaknife's Link
Watch how they work professionally

03-Apr-19
Walmart has em.

03-Apr-19
Stands 95 percent sure that is a hoax a GREAT hoax but a hoax notice he already had "Blood" on shit shirt...the chances that the camera falls in the perfect position is pretty astronomical...and when he is laying there it looks like some sort of flat bladder pumping blood....you have to look really close. a few times.... then it jumps right to him sitting all bandaged up looking like a Homer Simpson cartoon they are video happy wouldn't they have film the scene in some form or fashion before he was bandaged....JMHO but LOVE it

03-Apr-19
We used to fry the marbles. Heat them in a pan, and dump into cold water. They get full of cracks. Shooting at pigeons under bridges, even when you miss and hit the cement wall the marble shatters and knocks 2 or 3 down with each shot.

03-Apr-19

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
My hands and feet are still purple from my days with iron ore pellets.

We used to climb mountains of them. They can’t be beat for sling shots, they’re heavy, circular and cost nothing.

They were just part of the neighborhood.

03-Apr-19
I used to shoot th spent primers from dad reloading shotgun shells. They didn’t shoot the straightest...but they made the coolest whistle as they whizzed by!

03-Apr-19
Adventurewrite - Thought the same, but was still fun huh?

03-Apr-19
Wow, cool thread. Spent most of my days growing up in the jungles of Ecuador with a wrist rocket and a leather pouch full of smooth stones or marbles to shoot. Bat's, fruit from trees, heck leaves on some trees were the size of umbrellas. We'd shoot them off the branches and watch em fall. Shot some pretty cool birds out there and once a buzzard straight up the ass while he sat in a tree. That thing dumped an ice cream pail full of sh&t on the ground that smelled so God awefull!!! Never did that again!

03-Apr-19
Stands super funny they guy should make a series you demonstrating shit in a straight forward way...you know how to shape a mover blade gutter cleaning tree limb cutting on and on you know it's a farce but fun stuff..

03-Apr-19
Marbles...threaded nuts...jeez! I used rocks, preferably round ones! Some high rollers in here!!

04-Apr-19
I'll never forget carrying one for the same reason when Dad and I went to Alaska. Such an incredible memory.

04-Apr-19

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Yep, grew up shooting one as well and both my boys have them. Legal for small game in Co. The middle boy is still too young to hunt big game so he brings his wrist rocket. He loves it!

04-Apr-19
Still have mine from when I was a kid, great weapon. shot marbles and it knock the fire out of anything it hit. Need to get some new bands for it. also great practice for a trad shooter too.

04-Apr-19
Also remember a time my brothers and I would always compete to see who was the best shot with the slingshot. My younger brother wanted to up his game, so he though maybe if he put a sight on his slingshot like a front sight on a rifle, he'd be more accurate. Well what else other than sticking your thumb in that sight window made the most sense right???? Blew his thumb nail straight off!! And he, also, never did that again!! Still one of my favorite stories of him. I brought it up at his wedding to warn his bride of his brilliance. Lmao!!

04-Apr-19
"I saw them in Walmart in Kansas this past fall. I had forgot about them since NY banned them."

Was that all of them, or just the "assault" style ones? Maybe if they would put a smaller pouch on them so you couldn't shoot more than one marble at a time it'd do the trick. But then again, there's so many violent crimes committed with slingshots so they had to get them "off the street".

04-Apr-19
I carry one in my pocket when bow hunting, and use it to flush deer out of cattails when I suspect they are in there, or in other hard to reach places that the deer are hiding in. It sometimes works too. I use white marbles or steelies for this. I have used basswood seeds to shoot out of them at stuff you don't really want to break, just for practice. I a

04-Apr-19
My brother and I used to pick green, unripe, grapes from my grandpas garden then go have fights in the woods for hours. We were having "paintball" fights before paintball guns! I still keep one above the fridge for the occasional stray cat that decides to perch under my birdfeeder in the winter months. I never thought about taking it for grouse out west...it may go with me this fall, thanks for the idea.

04-Apr-19
Guess I won't be doing that any more - although not actually hunting with it. NY will be in the rear view mirror for good someday.

04-Apr-19
Ah good memories. Many a squirrel did the funky chicken under the wrath of my brother and I. SSGs are a game changer. Like going from trad to wheels :). Picked up a wrist rocket this January in Miami when on my second last day of vacation, I realized Iguanas were fair game. Man I wish I woulda known on my first day! Got that one at Walmart, I think $10

04-Apr-19
The best ammo was always 000 buckshot. Heaviest for diameter, cheap and readily available. My Dad would save all the old bearings from his job and they were highly prized for accuracy.

But we would shoot anything that was handy, from walnuts to rocks. As an adult, I went through about a dollar in change trying to kill a fool hen. The coins just whizzed around my intended supper with nothing more than some curious head bobbing. Finally knocked it off it’s branch with a big rock, before I went broke.

04-Apr-19
They worked great for shutting up the neighbor's dogs when I lived in Denver. Small ice cubes don't do permanent damage, and there's no evidence. ;)

04-Apr-19
Hahaha great stories looks like we were all in the young and armed club... X-man I like it they need to call you "Iceman"

04-Apr-19
lol I like that one x-man!! Ya as my brother said we were hell on small game. My favourite was the provincial parks summer camping. Those squirrels never had such a terror. Took a fair number of grouse later as well. Then I started killing grouse just by throwing rocks at em lol.

04-Apr-19
Keep one in my go bag w/ 3/8 ball bearings, one of my first hunting weapon I had as a kid that did some damage to critters that I lived around in the country, stray cats paid a price and rabbits.

Just plain fun sitting by a camp fire and get the bets on the hits on empty cans, still haven't any takers for shooting a can off their head.

There is a sling shot company on the net and that is all they sale, many different models.

04-Apr-19
Harbor Freight has them.

When in HS in the 1950s, my buddies mom worked at a ball bearing factory. She would bring some of the rejects home for use to use in our sling shots. We use tire inter tube rubber at that time, but then we discovered surgical tubing. Then we became dangerous.

04-Apr-19

Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Squirrel and grouse killing machine

04-Apr-19
"Then we became dangerous" .... Epic!!

04-Apr-19
Build your own. As a kid we built them all the time worked great.

05-Apr-19
I make them from maple crotches, and some from antlers. I made one when I lived in WA, and told a buddy of mine, "watch this". There was a small bird sitting atop a fir tree probably 60 yds out. I shot, and just as I did, the bird took flight, and 'whack', feathers flew, and down he went. He went maybe a couple inches from the perch and flew right into the stone. He should have stayed put... :)

05-Apr-19
BIG difference between a slingshot and a wrist rocket

05-Apr-19
Tractor Supply has them as well. We use .45 caliber lead balls & marbles.

05-Apr-19
Paint balls are good fun too.

05-Apr-19
cnelk is right about the old homemade slingshots and the "high tech" wrist rockets.

Anybody that was a kid making slingshots in the late '50's early '60's may remember that there was a shortage of natural rubber inner tubes and the new material was a poor replacement. It didn't have the memory, power or longevity as natural rubber, so a real rubber tube was much sought after and gold when found.

My Dad was a tradesman and enjoyed making all kinds of "weapons" for us four older boys. He made some pretty well designed slingshot frames from light metal conduit and it was one of the things us poorer kids could flaunt at school. With those futuristic frames and a good quality rubber band, we were often the envy of our peers. I guess a twist on the old saying would be: "God created kids, but a better slingshot made them equal."

• Sitka Gear