Blue Buck 13-Apr-19
09-Apr-19

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
In honor of the recent Rhino poacher that got eaten I will break this sculpture out.

This sculpture is in recognition of the BADDEST AZZZ story in all of the history of Sporting Art. I saw this painting at SCI a few years back and it blew me away. It is huge like 7 feet across and the frame is giant. The image is the most unflinching and honest painting I have ever seen

The true story is basically as follows. Fredrick Kuhnert was a German painter making a nice living in Berlin in the early part of the last century before WW1. His specialty was wild animals, which were few in Berlin. The drill back then was to go to the zoo and paint say a Lion and then paint something that looked like the Garden of Eden as background.

Kuhnert was also a hunter and against the advice of pretty much everyone he was determined to go to Africa to paint and see the animals in their natural setting. Cries of , “they will eat you it is a savage land, you will die of disease, why leave you comfortable life for nothing” fell on deaf ears… he was determined to hunt and paint the animals of Africa

One day he was in remote outpost and someone came in excitedly saying come Come!!!! Lion!!!!…. Keeelll….. keel…… lions hurry hurry!!!!” knowing Kuhnert had the only gun for many miles . When he arrived he saw what was in the painting. The lion had just finished eating the bicycle riding mailman. Kuhnert shot the lion and would never part with the painting skull or he used until his death…

I decided to do commemorative piece to dedicated to Kuhnert and sculpted what I saw as the minutes before Kuhnerts painting. I wanted the attitude of the lion to be calm and purposeful, after all nothing personal just eating meat.

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19
Holy sheet!

09-Apr-19

09-Apr-19
Wow, way to keep it real.

09-Apr-19
IDW that is why I liked the painting so much it was so honest...

09-Apr-19
Damnit Ted! You continue to just blow me away with your artistic talent! WOW! Just WOW! Awesome.

09-Apr-19
Thanks Tavis...but I figured you of all people would tearfully be calling for a moment of silence for the mailman...;) ahahah

09-Apr-19
Awesome!

10-Apr-19
Awesome. And terrifying.

10-Apr-19
Awesome!

10-Apr-19
Who has #1 of that bronze? ;)

10-Apr-19
No tears! But a moment of silence for the artistry would be worthwhile.

10-Apr-19
I`m so offended....NOT! Nice work.

10-Apr-19
Yes KS Cowboy yer papa bear has it...and I know its in a good home.....

11-Apr-19
Awesome!

11-Apr-19
Title: I never met a man I didn't like.

Seriously awesome work. That would bring a tear to Capstick's eye.

11-Apr-19
Very cool story and very cool piece of art !

11-Apr-19
Blue Buck I am huger fan of Capstick really knows how to tell a story ...He has been criticised for embellishing of taking stories that did'nt happen to him and inserting himself yeah yea yea maybe maybe not...and so what his book are entertaining and I sure cover all sort so stuff that never got written about so he is the conduit. I was at the Safari Club International show a few years back and a African outfitter said Ohhh "Crapstick" I said to him well say what you will but probably 90 percent of all this interest in Africa was because of his books He smiled and said yeah that's probably true...

11-Apr-19
Adventurewriter - Back in 1988, facing college graduation and the fear of a desk job, I wrote Capstick a letter asking how one goes about becoming a Professional Hunter in Africa. Much to my surprise he wrote me back. Said it was no longer possible for an American but I was very appreciative of the letter. Still have it framed in the mancave.

11-Apr-19
Thats cool and kudos to you for giving it s shot....love his books and find most outdoor writers pretty ho-hum he knows how to weave a tale...

12-Apr-19
If you can still get a hold of his videos they are a hoot as well. Naturally he really plays up to the camera, a bit much at times but still good and often, will cocktail in hand.

12-Apr-19
Blue Buck I did'nt know there were videos I need to do some searching you tube and such

13-Apr-19
I think the series was called Hunters on Film.

• Sitka Gear