Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

15-Apr-19
The “Paul”parazzi was all over the place!

Thanks for taking the time to document the Meet n Greet, Paul. What a fun time!!

15-Apr-19
Good ones Paul.

Good luck, Robb

15-Apr-19

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Here’s a couple of great guys. Jake and Paul are great guys.

15-Apr-19

15-Apr-19

15-Apr-19
Glad to see you are having your orange juice at brunch!

Thanks for sharing.

15-Apr-19
Nice Paul, thanks for sharing. Is there a way to put some names with the pics? Some I recognize, would be fun to put names to faces. Bob

15-Apr-19
Paul,

There is obviously some photo shopping going on here....

The pic with Tom Edgington with a beer is an impossibility!

Thanks for taking it upon yourself to do this Paul.....FUN times!

Mark

15-Apr-19
It was a great time as always

Thanks Pat!

15-Apr-19
Great pics Paul! Met so many great people! Best birthday I have had in years and I have had some great ones.

15-Apr-19

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Zach found out he couldn’t hold his booze as well as otcWill!

15-Apr-19

mountainman's embedded Photo
Blade guard size negotiations.
Blade guard size negotiations.
I was lucky to have one of the front row seats to this.

15-Apr-19

Slight concern on Zacks face.
Slight concern on Zacks face.

15-Apr-19

smiles all around
smiles all around

15-Apr-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Scoot, training for "bowhunting" requires a full-body workout...

My old yellow dog enjoyed staying in a suite. It was her first P&Y convention.

15-Apr-19
Very nice photos Paul! Thanks for sharing. These P&Y conventions just keep getting better and better. Great to meet face to face with some more of you great Bowsiters!

15-Apr-19
Everyone's looking so slim and trim. Just a bunch of studs out there.

15-Apr-19
Glad you brought the camera!

15-Apr-19
I’m glad I didn’t get caught in any of the pics. Less evidence to use against me!

—Jim

15-Apr-19

15-Apr-19
Adam, wish you and your brother could have made it. One of the best P&Y conventions ever!

15-Apr-19
I wish I could have too. kept seeing the date come nearer all bummed that it didn't happen for me. One day. Maybe one of these days they'll bring it Winnipeg lol.

15-Apr-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Oh Jim, we got you in a few!

15-Apr-19

Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
Was lucky enough to snap a pic with ol’ Buffalo1!!

15-Apr-19
Paul took a photo of me with Tom and Jake.

I tried to tell him I was not even close to being in their league, but he snapped the photo anyway.

15-Apr-19

And also lucky to get a pic with these two legends

15-Apr-19

15-Apr-19
Nick, that is not me! I’m much better looking that that guy!

—Jim

17-Apr-19
t

18-Apr-19
Just wanted to say that the "By Invitation Only" Bowsite Meet and Greet was just a good example of why bow hunters don't want to join the Pope & Young Club. It is believed that we are a bunch of elitists. I was at the convention and thought that maybe that invite only wasn't for sure but it was that way in the schedule of events also. St Louis wasn't that way and I had a great time meeting and talking with fellow bowsiters.

19-Apr-19
JimG, were you turned away from the Meet & Greet? That "invitation only" thing was an error in the schedule of events. Nobody was checking IDs, and they even let me in without an invitation.

19-Apr-19
I wasn't turned away but I didn't know where it was taking place at. Before the convention Charlie said he would get back to me about invitation only but that didn't happen. He said it was Pat's idea and when I saw it was on the schedule of events I figured it was invite only only. The ladies in Chatfield told me it was invite only also.

19-Apr-19
That's weird, Jim. I wasnt invited and I was right in the middle of the shenanigans.

19-Apr-19
Rick, we asked to have you removed but security took one look at you and ran scared.

19-Apr-19
Honestly, I assumed the "By Invitation Only" was intentional and the invitation consisted of Charlie's - Official Bowsite "Meet & Greet" thread!.... posted on April 9th.

The intent of the gathering was to get Bowsiters together. We are at a huge convention where the majority of attendees are not Bowsiters. Pat bought beer for the Bowsiters in attendance...not the entire convention. The "By Invitation Only" listing made perfect sense to me? Maybe I'm just too simple minded...

I also don't understand the "good example of why bowhunters don't want to join the Pope & Young Club" and "bunch of elitists" comments? We were at a Pope & Young Convention for Christ's sake. Virtually everyone in attendance was a Pope & Young member....right?

To quote Aaron Rodgers......"RELAX"

19-Apr-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
JimG: Please see my Thread, “Official Bowsite Meet & Greet thread” dated 4/9/19 (before conference) where I mentioned to the Bowsite Community (2nd Post above) that ALL were welcome.

Brotsky asked if it was appropriate that his daughter attend. I responded of course she should attend and added “ALL” are welcome.

You wrote above “Before the Convention Charlie said he would get back to me about invitation only but that didn’t happen. He said it was Pat’s idea!”

I don’t recall a conversation with you and NEVER said it was Pat’s idea! It was’nt.

We’ve been doing this since 2009. This was the FIRST Convention where Bowsite was included in the program so I’d bet that was why P&Y added (invitation only).

I do not believe ANY Convention attendees saw what you describe as “elitist” behavior. I certainly never have! C

19-Apr-19
I agree Jim. This was obviously an elitist event designed to ply us with alcohol to get us to shave our heads and donate money to the conservation fund. Charlie is a sneaky one though so I figured I would just show up bald and donate what I could and let the chips fall where they may. If I were you I would use the search function to find the complaint department. :-)

19-Apr-19
Nobody was going to turn you away, Jaquomo. You were flashing a knife at everyone. Pretty scary. I was just waiting for the SS to take you out!

19-Apr-19
they even let me in....

19-Apr-19
JimG, Charlie replied directly to you in this thread that it WAS NOT invite only.

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=36&threadid=483802&MESSAGES=40&FF=CMT

The P&Y club has its warts (like any organization that's trying to please 1000's of members) but by in-large it's a very good organization. Don't believe me, I know at least one of the directors posts on Bowsite quite a lot (Ed Fanchin) . He's PM'd me multiple times trying to work issues out getting my moose to Omaha. He's always been a nice guy to me. Unfortunately I didn't get to connect with him in Omaha but I'm certain he and I would get along fine over a beer. He's far from an elitist.

There certainly is some guys that are likely elitist in the club but the vast majority are just blue collar guys like me that hope something runs into an arrow or two of theirs each fall.

19-Apr-19
P&Y members are mostly "salt of the Earth" guys who all have bow hunting in common. There isn't a finer organization out there for representing & bringing bow hunters together.

19-Apr-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

19-Apr-19
JimG:

Come on, buddy, really? Charlie responded to you in the official meet and greet thread and I understood it easily....as did many others here. Don’t be Eeyore......the glass is half full.

19-Apr-19
Ed Fanchin is in an elite group. Probably first-ever to get flashed by a blonde at a P&Y convention! (That, right there deserves an Ishi award....)

19-Apr-19
And we are all jealous:-)

19-Apr-19
We try to raise em right here in Nebraska, just a little Cornhusker hospitality!

19-Apr-19
Quote: "Ed Fanchin was flashed by a blonde at P&Y"

Heard about that. Did anyone catch the guy's name?

19-Apr-19
Damn! Blew coffee out my nose on that one Stick!

19-Apr-19
The way I understood it, P&Y put "by invitation only" so the whole convention didn't show up. I get that. We ALL knew it wasn't meant that way. Hell, Charlie said it in the thread posted above. And, if you kept your eyes open while visiting the vendors or big game display before the gathering, there were Bowsiters EVERYWHERE. Pat and Charlie were around. Anybody could have asked them

As for the location. The P&Y schedule SAID the Meet & Greet was in the Atrium. I looked around for a room labeled "Atrium", because I'm OCD. When I didn't find that room, I asked a Bowsiter, and then I followed the crowd headed that way

The only bad thing about the Meet & Greet is that somebody decided to shave hair in the place we ate breakfast the next morning :)

19-Apr-19
All, Since I helped with the written program/agenda I'll try to explain why it said "invitation only". That implied that you needed to contact bowsite for details. This was and always has been a private event not paid for by the Pope and Young Club. The bowsite guys get to decide who can attend. If you post it in the agenda as an open event then bowsite has no control who walks in and there may or may not be room or refreshments if everyone decides to attend. This event is a great way for bowsite regulars to "meet and greet".

Jim G, I find it hard to believe that even after the responses from Charlie, you didn't understand the program. You had been to one before. It's almost like you were looking for a reason not to go. I don't know how many were there but all of us elitists had a great time. If I didn't know where it was I would have moved mountains to find out. We are bowhunters. When obstacles get in our way we just climb over them. Sorry you missed it.

19-Apr-19
Wow I don't think I’ve seen so much class in one party! Maybe one year when you guys are ready for a couple real rednecks to show up, me and my brother can come and de-class the joint a little. Looks like we missed a real good time. One year...

19-Apr-19
I never got invited to any of it. :- (

19-Apr-19
Wait!!! There was a Bowsite get together? Several people told me it was cancelled.

19-Apr-19
We had a few Canadian Rednecks in attendance.

Will be an off-season gathering next year in Virginia.

Reno in 2021 will certainly be a blast!

19-Apr-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Many laughs with Ike in the 36hrs I was there

19-Apr-19
JimG- You're a Bowsiter.................................so you should have improvised and picked a semi-famous (NOT one of the famous ones who are readily identifiable) Bowsiter to impersonate. (apparently some ugly dude picked JTreeman! ;-)

P.S. Just don't use "Bou'bound" or you are sure to be mobbed by hundreds of guys asking about that dang cougar hunt! ;-)

19-Apr-19
Pictures of this blond or didnt happen .

19-Apr-19
I’m pretty sure I don’t get invited to events because I’m such a dink. Then people just use my offensive body odour and rank, frequent flatulence as a handy excuse.

Too bad, as there’s lots of guys I’d like to meet even if they don’t feel the same.

Maybe I’ll bathe, take Beano, wear a disguise and make Reno.

19-Apr-19
Well played on that last line, Ambush... well played. ;)

M. Paul's... sorry, the rednecks from the south done beat you and your brother to the convention. Yes, I'm including myself, and 3 or 4 from Louisiana and Mississippi.

19-Apr-19
No offensive body odor or flatulence would only make you stand out with this group, Ambush!

19-Apr-19
LMBO! But didn’t you learn anything from that thread stick...........................they are calling them “waist” packs now! ;-)

19-Apr-19

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Ike is definitely a card! This was outside room 643!

19-Apr-19
NOTICE: There are no rednecks in Mississippi. That is fake news and misrepresentation of the facts.

19-Apr-19
Missed this one was hoping to make it, did they announce where next one will be held??

19-Apr-19
See above^^

19-Apr-19
"I was trying to remember from bakes man purse thread whether Ike was a backpack guy or what. Then I saw his pose in the picture above and it hit me, that’s right he’s a fanny pack guy…..;^)"

I had two beers behind my back that I was trying to hide from the camera so that there was no evidence that I was "double fisting!"

BTW, my shirt says, "Sometimes alcohol IS the answer."

19-Apr-19
bigbuck, the next one biennial will be in Reno and I already cannot wait!

19-Apr-19
I was really surprised to hear that we would have an annual convention, I admit my initial thought about the idea wasn't positive however I am open minded. I am looking forward to seeing what is planed for the event.

WSF, Ovis, NE Chapter WSF, NYBH, P&Y........... thats a Lot of yearly events.

19-Apr-19
For the record, Ed’s flashing story was corroborated by the lady in question. I met her the next night in room 531 of course and she told the same story. Though at the time I didn’t know it was Ed on the receiving end so to speak. ;)

Trial153-I tend to Agree about the annual convention deal, I make it a point to get to the conventions, but I will not be attending the new yearly things. I my circles (small circles, I don’t claim to be important) it was not particularly well received either. I felt the bi-annual thing was about perfect. But I could be way off base too, see how it plays out.

—Jim

19-Apr-19
Trial, Jim... agree as well. Can't see making yearly conventions.

19-Apr-19
That was second only to the animal display. Third was Navgvup barging right up to Trump Jrs table in the middle of the banquet... hmmm... Ed F

19-Apr-19
Every two years makes it a big, special event. Every year dilutes the "specialness" of the happening. Maybe a weekend shoot, gathering, barbecue, etc.. like they've been having, but trying to do this every year will spoil it. I will only go every two years.

19-Apr-19
What happened to my pants??!

19-Apr-19
I think I’m with Trial, Jim and Embry on the annual deal. And didn’t they say that there would only have the mounts and awards every 2 years or did I dream that?

19-Apr-19
Iceman, That is the way I understood it as well, mounts and awards stay the same (every other year). So Reno 2021 will be equivalent to this year. I will be there. Don’t plan to attend the lite version in VA next year though.

We will just have to go hunting to make up for it, you pick the place, I’ll meet you there!

—Jim

19-Apr-19
Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

Oh I know you will. Treeman is worldwide!

20-Apr-19
If you went to the membership meetings you would understand the rational for the off year convention. Rising operating costs and trying to run off of every other year fund raising isn't enough. The BOD tried the Rendevoux twice which wasn't very successful. So, we're gonna try the off year Convention. Vendors and outfitters do not like every other year, they want to put it on their schedule every year. I suspect the hunt auction will be just as big with great deals. We know attendance will be lower, but it will be in parts of the country where Conventions haven't been, giving others an opportunity to attend. I'm looking at it as another great bowhunter gathering where I don't have to work as hard and enjoy more. Please consider attending to have a great time and support the Club. Ed F

20-Apr-19
Ed, no need to get pissy. Thanks for the explanation on the rational for decision.

20-Apr-19
Pissy?... Ed just stated the facts. The reasons behind the off year convention was explained thoroughly during the membership meeting. While I'm not overly optimistic (attendance will need to offset costs), scheduling "non-traditional" venues might be enough to make it work. Might even spawn some new member interest as well? Won't know for sure unless they try....

20-Apr-19
Trophy animals are not welcomed or legal in all states which creates logistic issues for convention sites. With “off year” conventions, events could be held in locations not normally held due to the animal restrictions.

This “coming to your restricted area” may help to spawn membership interest.

I think it should be viewed with an open mind and hopefully it will be a success.

20-Apr-19
Sorry if that came across as "pissy".... just trying to explain a few things. Ed F

20-Apr-19
I like the idea. I'll go to Virginia. I haven't been able to attend a convention yet. I spend all my vacation time on hunts. Virginia is close enough that I can make a run down, spend a day or two and drive back without affecting my hunt schedule too bad. I'd imagine there are a lot of people on the east coast in a similar situation.

20-Apr-19
I would likely go for a couple days, since Va gives me the option to drive down in a few hours, rather than wrapping myself up in an airplane.....after being stranded in Omaha for a day and a half, driving almost anywhere sounds great!

20-Apr-19
Not sure if the next convention is “pants optional “, ki-ke. Might want to check on that ;-)

20-Apr-19
Have the dates been set for 2020 and 2021 yet?

20-Apr-19
Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense and hopefully will generate more revenue for the Club.

20-Apr-19
2020 is in Chantilly Virginia, at the Chantilly/Dulles Marriott, March 26-28

2021 is in Reno Nevada at the Nugget Casino April 14-18

I'm going to post a separate conversation about the 2020 convention soon. We are working on a number of things that will make it stand out on it's own. I understand that not everyone will be able to attend on an annual basis and that's alright. We will do what we can to make every event as exciting as possible.

20-Apr-19
Ed... will there be a 3D shoot in Va?

20-Apr-19
Virginia being driveable is certainly attractive for me.

20-Apr-19
"Ed... will there be a 3D shoot in Va?"

You betcha.. bigger and better. I've been told that the location is surrounded by beautiful woods and the course will be within walking distance. We are going to get surrounding state bowhunting organizations involved. Get New Jersey on board for us... Ed F

20-Apr-19
Sounds good Ed will do..

20-Apr-19
Glad it's "invitation only".... hate to have to deal with the REGULAR bowsite riff faff.......... heheheheh.....

No matter..... I'll be there in Reno, even if dis-invited......

20-Apr-19
It never occurred to me that people had to be invited to the Bowsite gathering. I intended to (and did) crash the party anyway.

22-Apr-19
I sure plan on making it to Chantilly VA. I have been really surprised at some of the negativity some have on holding an every year event. All the other major organizations have yearly events and are very successful. They generate a lot of income and I've never heard anyone complain about the yearly schedule. Obviously I can't make them all but one upside when I don't make one I don't have to wait for a other 2 years to see my friends. For those that couldn't make it to the Rendezvous it was awesome but it was easy to see it was very dependent on volunteer help for the financial return it could generate. I hope a lot of you reconsider and God willing I see you in VA!!!

22-Apr-19
Like most of you, I pretty easily surmised that the "invitation only" was to imply it was for bowsite folks.

I will attend the off year ones if they are within a couple hours of the house(Nashville comes to mind). But I am in for 2021 Reno for sure.

22-Apr-19
I'm planning to skip Virginia also and will definitely make the trip to Reno in 2021.

22-Apr-19
For the record I didn’t mean for my statement to be exactly negative, but not exactly positive either ;) I guess maybe I’m turning into one of those old guy that thinks any change is bad and everything should stay exactly like they were/have been. I will be looking forward to Jim’s thread on the clubs 2020 “off year” gathering plans, perhaps i will change my mind!

I certainly understand the need for the club to increase revenue and that other organizations do annual events. For me personally I felt like the P&Y convention was a little more special partly due to the fact that it only happened every other year. I’m sure others will have other opinions as Mike has stated a couple of good arguments for annual.

I personally like to hunt and only have limited time/resources to use. I find it a good balance to put those resources to work bi-annually for the convention.

—Jim

22-Apr-19
I agree with Jim. I will make it a point to attend the "Big Game Awards" edition banquet and will gladly travel to do so every other year. Already looking forward to traveling to Reno in 2021. The "off-year" banquet will likely only get attended if it is within reasonable driving distance. I will withhold my final judgement though until I see the clubs plans for 2020. I fully understand the need for fundraising for the club and understand the direction we're taking but time and especially resources are limited for some that makes annual conventions unrealistic. Then again those of us that can't make it annually for those reasons aren't driving the club financially anyway so it makes sense from that perspective. We'll continue to do what we can, when we can in support of bowhunting.

22-Apr-19
I will do my best to make it to VA next year. I planned to make a rendezvous as well though and it never happened. I think the 'negativity' is stemming for multiple reasons.

One, like Jim T mentions is the tradition of biennial conventions, but more so from others, and me included is that financially it is hard to make it every year. Time away from work, and expense ultimately result in fewer days afield for the average guy. The portrayed negativity from me is because I want to be at every convention but it is hard to justify the time and expense. But as Justin alluded to, we aren't the guys buying the hunts and funding the club anyways. That said, we all would probably spend less if we didn't like having a good time;)

I hope it is a huge success for Pope and Young. As I said above, I will do my best to attend and support them any way I can.

Matt

22-Apr-19
Agree, Justin. I simply cannot afford it annually and don't mean to be negative. I'm all for this great organization to raise money, that's a given. If it's close, I might swing it. But not annually. I'll be cheering you all on and hopefully the "mobile frat party" will be there in Virginia for you all to enjoy. ;)

22-Apr-19
I have been there where I had to choose an event or go hunting. I picked hunting every time. On the other hand during those times I was super happy when an event was driving distance close and It made it affordable to do both. Hopefully the off year one is going to give that chance to a lot of people to experience what we are about without having to give up vacation and hunting resources.

Most importantly none of us will ever know if we are missing something if we don't give it a try! I am very excited to see Jim's thread about the new format. Some of us remember old timers fighting tooth and nail against vendors and auctions. I can't even imagine where we would be without these items now. Good time to be a P&Y member if you ask me.

22-Apr-19
Just took the tour of the P&Y Museum in Chatfield, Mn., had a sensory overload. The truck just pulled up to unload the museum pieces from Omaha but really enjoyed the history, always said I was born 100 hundred years to late in the hunting world.

Heard a rumor that the museum may be moved to Springfield, Mo. with the Fred Bear Musem and Bass Pro it would give more traffic, be a shame since where it is locate now, just hope it is a rumor.

22-Apr-19
If Rick’s not going every year, then neither am I!

22-Apr-19
The museum is a treasure that needs to be shared with as many people as possible, especially non-bowhunters. That will never happen as long as it remains hidden in Chatfield.

22-Apr-19
I will go to Reno but not Va. No heads no go

22-Apr-19
I'll likely attend both. The more the merrier!

22-Apr-19
Many thanks to Paul! Let's see some more!

If you couldn't be there, being a Bowsite stalker/voyeur would be the next best thing.... =D

22-Apr-19
I’ll most likely do every two years, already penciled in for Reno. If the off year convention is close, I’ll go to it as well. I understand the logic behind the annual convention and I’m hoping it exposes more folks to the club.

22-Apr-19
I'll definitely be in Reno. I'm gonna try and make VA just because I know there'll be some guys from the East that I wouldn't meet otherwise.

22-Apr-19

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo

25-Apr-19
Pope & Young really put together a great convention. really awesome to get to meet many of you guys and hope to participate on BowSite a lot more in the future.

Ernie

25-Apr-19
We sat at the table next to you at the awards banquet, Ernie. They should have moved you closer to the front.....you had to make a lot of laps! Congrats on some amazing animals!

25-Apr-19
Ernie and Frank Noska stay in shape, just by walking back and forth from their table to the stage, and back!......lots of times ;-)

25-Apr-19
Ernie, It was great to meet you and share a table with you at the convention.

26-Apr-19
Thanks Jake. The pleasure was all mine. Thanks for taking the time and giving me pointers on the polar bear hunt

• Sitka Gear