Mule Power 18-Apr-19
Hessticles 18-Apr-19
Matt Palmquist 18-Apr-19
Nick Muche 18-Apr-19
Kevin Dill 18-Apr-19
Kevin Dill 18-Apr-19
Beendare 18-Apr-19
15-Apr-19
I'm struggling with making a decision on what to take for waders or wading pants on our moose hunt! Sounds like we will be wearing them for the whole trip, the outfitter recommended lacrosse hip boots but not sure how comfortable or heavy they are. What are you guy's recommendations?

15-Apr-19
Preferably something that doesn't break the bank, because it might be the only time I use em!

15-Apr-19
On my hunt last year I used the Cabelas neoprene waist high wader along with their wading boots. I felt like it was a good setup. They were quiet and I hiked along way with them while not in the water. Boots had good tread on them also. Spent around 175? or so I believe.

15-Apr-19
Look for used options. If you don't like them, look for what they are selling for and consider what you could realistically get for a pair of what you want after they were used once. Might be cheaper to buy premium, and dish them after one use, than buy something cheaper and have it sit in the garage after. Plus, the experience is much more enjoyable.

15-Apr-19
Listen to the outfitter.he and guide probably have 1000s of hours in them.

15-Apr-19
Cabela’s has good options for decent price

16-Apr-19
Cabelas gold water worked good for my buddies. My advice on waders is that we lived in them all day everyday and would be one item I would not think twice about upgrading. Though you will only use them on this trip, having them fail is not an option..

16-Apr-19
Whatever you buy, bring a patch kit!

16-Apr-19
I would reach out to Herdbull (Mike Mitten) or Kevin Dill as well. I seem to remember Mike mentioning something about using some sort of material or tape on his waders to make them quieter.

16-Apr-19
Lacrosse ankle fit hip waders is what we wore on a couple float trips. Last trip we only took one pair between 4 of us and we all needed them. Used to use them whitetail hunting around western river systems with a lot of hiking involved. Don’t know the model today but we hiked away from the river with them rolled down billow the knee

16-Apr-19
Number one, listen to the outfitter..... Number 2 do not guide the guide....Number 3, if you can not afford good hip waders, you can not afford your hunt,,,,,, I am in hip waders in the summer and late fall almost daily,,,,,, Do not buy junk, and the ankle fit is important.......

I have found the Cabelas / Herters stocking wader, with wading shoe, to be tough, and its so light, you do not know they are on,,,, that said, buy the Lacrosse like he said, and bring a patch kit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

do not waste your time with wading pants. wading pants are designed for water crossings,, not for wading or putting on the miles.....

Your going on a tough no nonsense hunt, you need good equipment, not cheap, or you will regret it,,,, your going to be wearing those hip boots all day long,,,,,,,,

good luck, and shoot straight

16-Apr-19
I'm not going cheap on anything, just looking for options and I dont want to spend 500+ on something I use once, cant guide the guide either because its unguided ??

16-Apr-19
I’m partial to waist high waders and good fitting wading boots . They won’t be as tough in thick brush , though . Guess it depends on the terrain .

16-Apr-19
Lacrosse ankle fit hip waders is what we always have used while hunting moose or caribou in Alaska. They have been great. I see no reason to use anything else.

16-Apr-19
I always use my Simms G3 waders and guide boots all the time.

I see no purpose in hip waders- very limiting to me. Hip waders also forget the most important area, your butt! Also you start crossing a creek and its too deep! happens all the time. What if it starts raining? Are you going to put your rain pants over your hip waders? Sit and take a break on a wet log?

I have found its so much easier to have full breathable waders that I wear as pants in wet areas. So much more versatile, ready to go anywhere in any weather, and sit on anything and not get wet. You can easily layer under them depending on conditions, and use them for fishing and duck hunting....

16-Apr-19
^^^^^ my thoughts exactly, but the simms are so expensive and it will pry be only time I use them

16-Apr-19
I have a good set of hip waders that I bought for bear hunting up in Alaska.

They SUCK! I hate them! Continuously getting water over the tops.

I have no idea why anyone would want to wear those things!

I have had a pair of Cabelas waist high breathable waders for over 10 years and used for hunting and fishing from Alaska to Argentina that I have not patched yet. I just bought a new pair a couple of weeks ago. The new ones have better gravel guards. About $100. Much better and more comfortable for hiking around in. Also lets you get in the water a lot deeper and see when you are getting in too deep.

The only downside is that they are noisy. You can put a light pair of hunting pants over them and quiet them down though. They worked great for me hunting bears out of a boat along the coast last time! The neoprene waders are quieter and that may be the route I go next time for Alaska. They are just a lot hotter and you will sweat a lot in them. The neoprene ones are cheaper, too.

Don't scrimp on the wading boots! I have top end Simms wading boots and they are worth the money for long hikes. Best wading boot I have ever owned.

16-Apr-19
I guess you don’t fly fish or duck hunt much never using waders? If this is your first trip to AK, I would think you will go back! Also worth a day or two fishing- I wear waders on the boat of course or in rivers fishing salmon. Any fishing/ hunting in coastal Alaska I plan to wear them since it’s always wet. And half the time on interior hunts I end up using them as well. Redington makes some more affordable ones. Get the zipper model if you have an active bladder, resale value on Simms is higher.

16-Apr-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
LaCrosse hippers for me. Insulated, ankle fit.

That water is effin cold. Even walking thru wet willows is cold, standing around calling is cold...

16-Apr-19
Don’t want to spend $500 on something you will only use once?

Out of curiosity How much you spending all in on that one moose hunt?

16-Apr-19
I bought Simms for my trip in 2017 and don’t regret it. I don’t use them that much but if I ever go back I have them. I’m sure you’ll be able to sell them after your trip if you don’t think they’re worth keeping. Our trip was a float trip.

16-Apr-19
I have tried to give him my advice,,,, he said he was advised by an outfitter, but seemed to get pissed when I said, listen to your guide..... oh well I wish him well have a great hunt,,,,,, I would not think twice about buying Simms,,,,, oh well I said my peace, I wish him all the best

16-Apr-19
Never got pissed, I realize what the transporter recommended! Was just looking at my other options, and what other hunters have experienced!

17-Apr-19
Go big or go home... it’s Alaska. Always wet. Obviously you will spend some time sitting while calling, glassing or taking breaks. Buy a pair of Cabelas wading pants. Nothing worse than a wet butt or water going over the top of hip waders. If your boots are my size, 10, I’ll buy them after your hunt! I could use a pair myself. :-)

17-Apr-19
He is going DIY!! Just using a transporter!!

Also I have met many “outfitters” that don’t know much, and are not up to date on tech or gear, just using and recommending whatever worked in the past. Hip boots are for float plane pilots and tourists! Would never recommend them for a hunt when there are better options.

17-Apr-19

17-Apr-19
^^^^^^what Wildwilderness said

17-Apr-19
What ever hip boot you decide to use with either rubber, neoprene, or other breathable membrane, you can make them quieter by wrapping the uppers in stealth wrap from Stealth Wrap Outdoors. It is the peal and stick camo material that is used on tree stands so it stands up well to water. Call them and get the wide panel not just the strips. Mike

17-Apr-19
Good ankle support is very important, dealing with tendonitis is not what you want, just my .02 that learned the hard way.

17-Apr-19

17-Apr-19
Tdvorak haha slippery slope? I asked a simple question for options and you and another guy turn it into a reality show! Not going against what the outfitter says just looking at options! What if what he recommends doesn't work for my feet? I guess I'm guiding the guide?

18-Apr-19
Everyone’s feet are different is exactly right. There is know way I’m lugging Lacrosse burlys around. Get a Redington or off brand that still has 3-5 layers of goretex type material if Simms are out. then any oversized synthetic, fast drying hiking boot to wear over the neoprene booty. They do not need to be wading boots. There are no slippery rock crossing where your going. So no need for studded wading boots. It’s Just sponge and small lakes. Then a lightweight quick drying pants over the wader. It protects them and quite them. When you get warm just lower them down for a while. A lot of people still where cotton long johns too. But there are better options.

18-Apr-19
I hunt moose in a creek or river system every year and I've never worn (or wished for) hip boots or waders to wear every day. That's after a lot of consecutive years and plenty of wet ground in several different moose camps. I'm not advising against them for sure. Just shows they aren't always necessary.

18-Apr-19
Tdvorak... I know you’ll find this interesting but there are people out there, especially on Bowsite that are equally as intelligent as you with as much experience stomping around in wild places. Hard to believe I know.

18-Apr-19
Haha Mule

18-Apr-19
Buy the simms and sell them when you get home:)

18-Apr-19
Mule for the win!

18-Apr-19
For the record: I share what I've done and what has or hasn't worked for me. It matters nothing to me if anyone accepts or rejects any of it. Nothing wrong with making your own mistakes and successes. That's how I learned.

18-Apr-19

18-Apr-19
Simms pant waders are the best, IMO.

Cheap- the Frogg Togg stocking foot waders are pretty darn good- especially for the price. I cut a chest wader down to make a taller hipper and they were great.

• Sitka Gear