NvaGvUp 19-Apr-19
'Ike' (Phone) 19-Apr-19
NvaGvUp 19-Apr-19
'Ike' (Phone) 19-Apr-19
NvaGvUp 20-Apr-19
BOHNTR 20-Apr-19
DL 20-Apr-19
15-Apr-19
Two zones are closed this year but they opened up a new zone south of Barstow. Gotta be some slammers in there. Great work WSF for lobbying to get more tags.

17-Apr-19
That's correct.

And it's entirely due to the work of the California Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation!

There are 29 tags total, three of which are fundraising tags, the third of which is new this year and sold for tens of thousands of dollars.

There are also two non-resident eligible tags this year, not counting the three fundraising tags.

CA has great sheep in the overwhelming majority of its hunt zones.

Apply!

17-Apr-19
Has that been confirmed...Looks like 3 zones with no tags, not 2!

17-Apr-19
Zero tags in the San Gorgonios? What's up with that? That unit has always had 2 tags.

17-Apr-19
With all these new tags, maybe we could get 1 or 2 archery tags next year...

17-Apr-19
Awesome job and hats off to the California Wild Sheep Foundation!

Gave up on ever getting a tag there a long time ago but might start applying again if there was an archery tag...

17-Apr-19
Die off, Pneumonia most likely.

17-Apr-19
Ike,

"Zero tags in the San Gorgonios? What's up with that? That unit has always had two tags."

Pneumonia due to contact with domestic sheep...……...AGAIN!

17-Apr-19
Open domestic sheep season...Archery at that!

18-Apr-19
"And it's entirely due to the work of the California Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation!"

Seriously? That's amazing... entirely... hmmm... Ed F

18-Apr-19
Three of 29 going to auction .. I wonder if those three tags are counted when figuring the 10% NR cap ?

19-Apr-19
"Seriously? That's amazing... entirely... hmmm... Ed F "

Touche, but I believe it is an absolutely fair comment it wouldn't have happened without funding provided by CA WSF.

19-Apr-19
BOWUNTER,

It happens several times each year across the west.

The reason there are no tags in the Old Dad Peak zone, which used to have 4 tags, is due to the same thing in early 2013.

75% of the herd was lost and of those that survived, lamb recruitment is close to zero.

It can take up to twenty years before lamb recruitment returns to normal levels.

19-Apr-19
"….it wouldn't have happened without funding provided by CA WSF."

Not to mention the years of effort it took to get DFW to agree they were not issuing enough tags.

19-Apr-19
"Zero tags in the San Gorgonios? What's up with that? That unit has always had two tags."

"Pneumonia due to contact with domestic sheep...……...AGAIN!"

The situation could have been stopped, 4 years ago we were taking pictures with Domestic and Wild sheep in the same frame. It was reported however apparently it fell on deaf ears.

Our DFW in an interesting department. Sometimes I think their goal is less wildlife, not more.

At least we have WSF

19-Apr-19
I need a refresher course for the Calfornia sheep draw, it's been off my radar so long I forgot about it. Looks like there will be 2 nonresidents tags?

19-Apr-19
Like most states, CA now allows 'up to' 10% of the draw tags to go to non-residents.

That's the result of a bill CA WSF wrote and got passed a few years ago which threw out the 'not more than one tag' language from a law which was written in 1986.

19-Apr-19
Isn’t that when you moved out of state Kyle?!? ;-)

19-Apr-19
Ike,

I did that a few years after that.

The NR thing was a small part of the bill. I only added that because CA was way out of line with what other states were doing.

The most important things were it took the setting of the tag fees out of the legislature's hand and put them in the hands of the Commission, which can now adjust fees according to what is reasonable.

The new law also allowed NGOs which sell fundraising tags to retain 5% of the sale price and add a Buyer's Premium.

Prior to that, CA DFW got 100% of 'all revenues.'

19-Apr-19
Easy, just messing with you...We know all you do for the Sheep here! By the way, that’s a heck of a number of tags if it stands...

20-Apr-19
………."I wonder if those three tags are counted when figuring the 10% NR cap ?"

They are not.

There is no 'rounding up,' so even if those three tags were included, it still would mean two NR tags, not three.

20-Apr-19
You’re a legend......

20-Apr-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Sleepy time.

• Sitka Gear