IdyllwildArcher 16-Apr-19
WapitiBob 16-Apr-19
WapitiBob 16-Apr-19
Mule Power 16-Apr-19
PushCoArcher 16-Apr-19
Whitty 16-Apr-19
15-Apr-19

JL's Link
For you folks that monitor Wyoming elk hunting issues, I got this in the inbox a bit ago.

More hunters choose Wyoming for elk hunting

Hunters seeking a western adventure continue to choose Wyoming to pursue elk Tweet

4/1/2019 6:32:51 PM

Cheyenne - Hunters seeking a western adventure continue to choose Wyoming to pursue elk. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department saw an increase in non-resident elk applications for the 2019 season. Nonresidents submitted 23,750 applications, a 2.9 percent increase from 2018.

“Anyone who hunts in Wyoming knows the experience is unlike anywhere else in the country because of the quality of wildlife, our hunting access programs, large tracts of public land and the spectacular views,” said Brian Nesvik, director of Game and Fish. “We thank nonresidents for their support to conserve the state’s wildlife, and look forward to hosting you this fall.”

Currently, Wyoming opens a month-long application period for nonresidents. Nonresident hunters take a chance at 7,250 licenses in the draw. This number is based on regulations set by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission, but the allocation of general licenses within that varies annually.

The number of general licenses available for nonresidents in the draw is the difference between 7,250 and the 16 percent of the total limited quota licenses for the year, the percentage reserved by state statute for nonresidents. Annually, wildlife managers provide a preliminary quota of elk licenses for the state. This year, 4,372 general licenses were available, which remains close to the average.

Drawing a general license still requires preference points for nonresident hunters.

“For 2019, it took at least one point in the special preference point draw and at least two points in the regular preference point draw,” said Jennifer Doering, Game and Fish license section manager.

Interest in reduced-price cow/calf licenses also grew with 4,757 non-resident applicants, amounting to a 6.04 percent increase since 2018. Cow/calf licenses do not require preference points and are allocated through a random draw.

This was the first time Game and Fish charged a 2.5 percent processing fee on credit cards. This fee offsets credit card processing costs and applies to applications, licenses, stamps and purchases. In the past, fees related to credit card processing for hunting applications, license sales and refunds cost Game and Fish $1.8 million a year from its operating fund.

“The credit card processing fee didn’t seem to deter hunters from applying for a Wyoming elk license, and applicants helped wildlife by maximizing the resources toward management,” said Greg Phipps, Game and Fish chief of the fiscal division.

There is one last chance for nonresident elk hunters to pick up a license. After the resident draw is complete, the remaining licenses will be offered through a random leftover draw both residents and non-residents can enter. No preference points can be used and general licenses are not available. In the leftover draw, residents and non-residents have the same odds for drawing a license; in 2018, 1,225 full-price elk licenses were issued as leftovers —70 percent to residents, 30 percent to non-residents. The leftover draw application period is June 24-28. Most of the licenses available in the leftover draw are from parts of the state where there is more private land and public access is more limited.

(Sara DiRienzo (307-777-4540))

- WGFD -

15-Apr-19
.....”was the first time Game and Fish charged a 2.5 percent processing fee on credit cards. “........Didn’t slow the application rate.

......”a 2.9 percent increase from 2018”.......

Clear signal from market forces to raise the price of application, license, preference point, and credit card fee. Wyoming leading the way, onward the NR goose is still GOLDEN!

15-Apr-19
Wait until next year when the move the application date back until May. Wyoming will see a HUGE decrease in applications. Bill

15-Apr-19

16-Apr-19
They’ve seen apps increase every year since they started the draw. Good stuff sells itself.

And that draw date change, I heard they screwed it up and made it worse. Should know later this month when public comment opens.

16-Apr-19
Shocking!

16-Apr-19
Llama packer-

You hit it on the head. Wyoming will be everyone’s consolation prize

16-Apr-19
Bob, what’s the word on the draw date change?

16-Apr-19
I bet the apps will not decrease next year.

16-Apr-19
ditto wytex

16-Apr-19
I bet you're correct, Wytex.

16-Apr-19
I'm with Wytex, I don't see it changing one bit.

16-Apr-19

Huntcell 's Link
Still a chance to get elk license. Last year there was 1,225 full-price elk licenses available in the leftover draw.

The leftover draw application period is June 24-28.

Be mindful Most of leftover licenses are for units that have high percentage of private property.

16-Apr-19
The price increase is so minimal it doesn’t stop anyone. I fly with a pilot last year with plans on going back in 2021. Was just informed by him that price went up by 3000$ and he’s starting to take 2021 bookings. That has priced me out of fly in moose hunting and all good transporters seem to be doing it. Supply and demand. Looks like I’m sticking with affordable elk hunting!

16-Apr-19
With a much later draw, people are going to be forced to make a decision. They’re going to have to decide to either try and get a Montana tag, a Colorado tag, or put in for other draws or risk not drawing in Wyoming and not have an elk tag at all. Sure there’s some OTC options. But I think a lot of people are gonna opt for other options so they’re not caught with their pants down in June when they don’t draw in WY.

This will definitely change peoples strategy. Will it decrease apps? Maybe not. But it might force more people into the preference point only option and reduce the number of apps in the drawing. Because people will already have tags elsewhere and won’t want to risk drawing a random tag if they can’t hunt multiple tags in a year. We’ll see I guess.

16-Apr-19
There are many, many guys who put in for the General/LE elk tag in WY, and once they win one, don't put in for any other elk tags or any other tags period, opting for points instead.

Thus, there is a possibility that the draw odds that will actually be affected (negatively) are the states that come after WY currently, although, there's not enough tags out there to satisfy the hoard, so I think that by the time May rolls around, not enough guys are going to have drawn tags to really make a difference in the WY draw odds/applicant numbers.

16-Apr-19
One benefit to removing the points only option from the license draws, we can now see the number of people that apply for hunts vs points only.

16-Apr-19
I don't have that but the dept can probably create it. The "point pools by species" report has the number with 1 point but that doesn't split out the first timers.

16-Apr-19
It certainly changes things for guys who knew they could fall back on Montana if they didn’t draw in Wyoming. For those who want to be guaranteed to hunt elk every year there will be a decision to make if you don’t have the points to guarantee a Wyoming license.

16-Apr-19
I don't see moving the application back to May decreasing the app numbers. Sure it will knock out some guys who draw tags in other states but it'll also turn it into every unsuccessful hunters last ditch effort to pull a elk tag. I hope I'm wrong as I'd love odds to improve.

16-Apr-19
Seems to me Wyoming should keep the elk draw separate to get more revenue. As a NR who lives "back east", I can only afford one trip out west per year to hunt due to family and job. I apply for elk (paying my $15 app fee and now my 2.5% fee) and if I don't draw I still have time to apply for deer and antelope (another $15 app fee and another 2.5% fee). By combining them I'll only be able to choose 1 to apply for as I can't afford ($ and time) multiple tags. My 3 three applications will change to only 1 next year.

• Sitka Gear