MichaelArnette 16-Apr-19
midwest 16-Apr-19
elkstabber 16-Apr-19
midwest 16-Apr-19
Bigdan 16-Apr-19
TravisScott 16-Apr-19
16-Apr-19
Hello there,

So say you had 3 Mule deer points in Nevada, Would you hold out for longer or put in for a unit you might draw? If so where would you put in? Or where would you wait to put in for with more points down the road?

I shoot a recurve so have a 25 yard handicap if hat changes things.

Would be looking to avoid 4 wheelers if possible as well

No massive trophy goals

16-Apr-19
I have drawn 3 Nv muley tags with 3 points or less, be SURE and fill out all 5 choices as they all count if 1 of your unit choices still has a tag available for you.

I pretty much stick with my elk unit (s) of choice for my muley pick's so I can get to know the unit (s) better for when I draw my Bow Bull tag.

Good luck, Robb

16-Apr-19
I hunted NV mule deer in 2016 and couldn't believe the 4 wheeler traffic. I had extensively scouted on Google Earth and found areas without any kind of trails but when I arrived the 4 wheelers were everywhere. They had made all of those trails since the GE images had been taken. I had started scouting 4-5 days in advance and at first the deer were everywhere. As the 4 wheeler traffic increased it pushed them to one of three places: private, the nastiest most rugged country, or to very isolated clumps of cover. On opening morning I was watching a group of 4 decent bucks and watching for them to bed so that I could wait for the thermals to stabilize but a 4 wheeler parked directly above them and then the hunter started stalking straight down on them with the thermals behind him (blowing toward the deer). Those deer ran for at least two miles and may not have ever stopped running as far as I could see.

I'd be very selective to find any area where either the 4 wheelers aren't allowed or maybe where it's too steep for them to get there. Good luck. You know that the NV draw closed yesterday, right?

I'll be watching to see what other guys suggest in order to get away from hunters.

16-Apr-19
Had a NV tag last year. 4 Wheelers and buggy's EVERYWHERE. And I thought Colorado was bad..... Unless it's wilderness, I don't think you will avoid them. Traffic slowed down after opening weekend. Pick a unit and apply. Get serious once you have the tag and go enjoy the hunt. Good luck

16-Apr-19
Elk stabbed yes

16-Apr-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Draw is still open.

16-Apr-19
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I hurried to apply and had the deadline wrong. I thought it was 4/15. Oh well, I won't be drawing I'm sure.

16-Apr-19
I think the deadline used to always be the 3rd Monday in April which would be the 15th (yesterday) this year. Looks like they extended it this year.

16-Apr-19
I drew and elk with 3 points you can draw with one and up

16-Apr-19
NV is one of my favorite hunts. With three points you never know that’s the nice thing about the state. If you just want a tag in your pocket, I’d put some of the harder to draw late season hunts in the first choices and then some of the easier tags to draw like the 43-46 hunt towards the end.

All of the units except the wilderness will have four wheeler trails that basically run the ridges and valleys of every range. I would not hunt these units without a machine myself. The trick to them is to simply cover from one green patch to the next ,glass (quality glass is a must), and move again.

Good luck this year!

• Sitka Gear