Ucsdryder 18-Apr-19
WV Mountaineer 18-Apr-19
Ambush 18-Apr-19
WV Mountaineer 18-Apr-19
Ambush 18-Apr-19
Shaft 19-Apr-19
Ambush 19-Apr-19
17-Apr-19
Anyone here make their own bowcase? I am thinking of making one and would love to see some ideas. I will probably just do a rectangular wood box with a handle and maybe some router cuts on the side to give it a little personality. I want to be able to store my bow in it without having to take off all of the accessories as well. I really don't need another project but it is something that I have wanted to do for a while.

17-Apr-19
sounds heavy. Plan on travelling with it?

17-Apr-19
I never have but I wouldn’t consider flying with one that wasn’t made well enough to withstand the animals that handle luggage at airports

18-Apr-19
Having a wood shop I've made a ton of different cases from wood for different things. I don't think I'd recommend a bow case. Once they reach a certain size they become too much of a weight hindrance. There are some things in life hard plastics are perfect for. Plywood is the usual go-to but it's heavy. Even the lacquer finish adds weight. I made a case for my ice fishing rods that I've used for years, but this past year I feel like I upgraded buying a $40 rod bag. It would just be too cumbersome IMO. Either you make it like 2/8 - 3/8 thick and the weight is in the ballpark but it isn't robust, or you make it like 5/8 thick and never use it cause it's too heavy.

18-Apr-19
This would be heavy.. I think you could find something less expensive than the materials would cost you that would be and would weigh less and be more structurally sound.. SKB, Plano, etc.

18-Apr-19
Get an SKB. bow case and you’ll be close to money even, and have a much better result.

18-Apr-19
My bow with attached quiver full of arrows, sight and stab fit in a Plano SE. Cost me $22 on clearance (...so I bought 2). I would not air travel with it but it straps on my atv nicely and no worries with it in the back of my truck.

18-Apr-19
Terrible idea out of wood.

Now fiberglass or carbon fiber- sure....but that would be a heck of a lot of work.

I like my sitka Nomad.

18-Apr-19
"...... Either you make it like 2/8 - 3/8 thick and the weight is in the ballpark but it isn't robust, or you make it like 5/8 thick and never use it cause it's too heavy."

Leave it to a dang yank to call a quarter of an inch 2/8's. Poisoning of the brain by the metric system becomes apparent to healthy people. :^)

18-Apr-19
SKB is very knowledgeable about the subject of bow cases. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

18-Apr-19
WV, I’m insulted lol. One thing that has become apparent to me is the general lack of people to equate fractions. Just wanted to show that the two measurements are only 1/8” apart.

18-Apr-19
Lol wv!! 2/8”. Awesome.

18-Apr-19
Apauls, you are a sharp dude. However, I just wanted to show you how Canadians make things harder then need be. Case in point, you run down Coyotes and strangle them. We Americans fill them full of lead and save the running for other things a bullet is not needed for. :^)

18-Apr-19
Apaul’s is simply using the P&Y measuring system. Figured you bowhunters should get that.

18-Apr-19
Another Yank rationalizing the madness. :^)

Actually, that was a good come back.

18-Apr-19
Seventy five percent of Americans don’t do well with decimals and the other half can’t even do simple fractions.

19-Apr-19
Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the weight. I would have to give that some further thought. It is true that it is always easier to throw money at something rather than your time and It certainly is an impractical project when bowcases can be found everywhere online. Many things we do are kind of that way but I still like to grill my own hamburgers on occasion instead of running down to the closest fast food chain. I know, lots more work and probably cheaper than going and buying all of the hamburger, buns, condiments etc. etc. and then having to come home and put it all together. Yep call me crazy (wink) Any other projects that are archery related that anyone has done to show a little of their passion for our sport?

19-Apr-19
I built (and still have) an aluminum case for a spare bow for RSA. It was built for a PSE solo cam bow that had a small footprint and the case would slip into a golf club travel bag. There was enough gear and clothes in there to hunt if my main bow got lost, held up or smashed. It never got a second look. While I was going through the RSA security rigamarole with my real bow case , my wife plucked that one off the carousel without a glance from anyone.

• Sitka Gear