Herdbull 25-Apr-19
Herdbull 25-Apr-19
Herdbull 25-Apr-19
Herdbull 25-Apr-19
18-Apr-19

Herdbull's embedded Photo

Herdbull's Link
I finished mounting the moose I took in 2017 and was featured in my "Chasing Solitude" film which is available as a digital download along with my book "One with the Wilderness". https://www.herdbullproductions.com/shop

18-Apr-19

18-Apr-19
Mike: The Trophy Room pic looks great. Please explain what you think is going on between the antlers?? Very Curious. Congrats! C

18-Apr-19
Great looking bull and trophy room, Mike!

Congratulations!

Also really interested in that growth between the antlers???

18-Apr-19
Nice job on the mount! Very cool moose!

18-Apr-19
Looking good. Forrest

18-Apr-19

The growth is antler material that is growing out over the skull between the primary antler pedicels. I believe the "third antler growth" originates from the right antler, that could have had pedicel injured previously in a fight. The bulls shoulder blade also had two holes in it that are also evident of a brutal fight previous to this years antler growth.

18-Apr-19
The original skull antler growth was covered with loose velvet that was dried and bloody like any other antler. Since you can not truck brain material down through Canada and other lower 48 states, euro mounts and skull plates need to be boiled or power steam washed. The process did blow off the dried velvet, so I had to stain the antler growth to match the primary antlers. A closer look can be seen on my Chasing Solitude film. Mike

18-Apr-19

This was an old bull as evident by the comparative wear and dentin exposed relative to enamel. As you see from my films and writing, I get connected to the animals I hunt, and doing my own taxidermy, which offers many hours of manipulation of the antlers and hide. Combining the this with eating the meat from the animal long after the hunt, also keeps the great beast in my mind and memory for a long time.

18-Apr-19
Very nice mike congrats on the critters

18-Apr-19
What a bull. Great film too

18-Apr-19
That's awesome Mike. I remember the bull well as I admired the pictures after you posted about him. Magnificent beast.

18-Apr-19
Mike: Thanks for the added pics and explanation.

A trophy room with big Moose and big Whitetails is most of what one needs. Thanks for posting.

Matt and I loved the video!!!

18-Apr-19
Nice job. Nice bull

19-Apr-19
EXCELLENT!

19-Apr-19
Mike, Awesome! Time to break out the videos again!

19-Apr-19

Pic from field

19-Apr-19
I remember seeing that growth in the pics when you killed it. Thanks for sharing Mike. Beautiful trophy room. It does not disappoint my imagination:) please don’t hesitate to post more pictures of the trophy room displaying some of the beautiful critters you have arrowed

19-Apr-19
Excellent bull and video!

19-Apr-19
Unique bull! Nice!

19-Apr-19
Pretty cool... congratulations again

19-Apr-19
A unique trophy for sure, Mike. Congrats!

19-Apr-19
Very cool indeed...

20-Apr-19
Mike, nicely done all around from solo hunt/filming/mount/memories/home safely. Solo hunting keep the body/soul/brain working 24/360 and like you I also love those parts of the equation. Looking forward to your next chapter. my best, Paul

20-Apr-19

Herdbull's Link
Willie- Yes I remember our talk of past hunts, and the loss of the Mulchatna caribou herd. You will see footage from the moose hunt and the bulls I passed up in my "Chasing Solitude" film you can check out on my Herd Bull Productions site. Here is a quick trailer of film. https://youtu.be/solnjJz9Bjg

20-Apr-19

M.Pauls _ here are few more pics but i will save some. lots of adventures.

20-Apr-19

To the right of TV you can see the holes in the moose scapula.

20-Apr-19

20-Apr-19

20-Apr-19
Thanks Mike, wonderful place you’ve got there to sit and reflect on succeful hunts gone by...

21-Apr-19
WOW!!

That is a kool looking TR ya got there for sure.

Goo luck, Robb

21-Apr-19
Looks sweet

21-Apr-19
Very impressive, beautiful mounts!

22-Apr-19
Mike, you are a real jack of all trades. Nice job.

Bill

22-Apr-19
That's a gnarly looking skull. Nice mount and trophy room.

22-Apr-19

Herdbull's Link
Thanks Bill and all. The mount brings me back to the 2017 solo hunt. You can read about it on this bowsite thread. https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=466415&messages=117&forum=15

22-Apr-19
Some great mounts, Mike!

Is that a whitetail doe mount to the left of the nilgai bull? Hard to tell, but looks like some unique markings on it.

22-Apr-19
T-roy - no, that's a nilgia cow. I cut down a nilgai bull form to fit the cow. If you ever get a chance to hunt them, a cow nilgai was a trophy to me, so I mounted her as well. I shot her from a tree stand set in a live oak in south Texas. Mike

22-Apr-19
Thanks Mike.

23-Apr-19
Thanks for sharing Mike. That trophy room is simply incredible.

25-Apr-19
Wow! Incredible mounts.

25-Apr-19
Mike,you are truly an insperation,along with the Wensels,to our sport.I have read your book,ordered your last DVD,been to Barrys whitetail camps from Az.I especially like the pic of you with the two big whitetails on your shoulders.Always looking forward to your adventures on Bowsite,my hat is off to you sir.

25-Apr-19

I started this thread .to let folks know that my book and video are available in digital format. Yes I did have knee surgery and As I'm recovering I look around my room and the animals from many hunts. It kind of reminds me that the hunt isn't over until the mount is on the wall. HaHaHa The thread went into a lot of directions as I tried to address the curiosity of many of you. I will add a few more wall pics. Thanks for your interest.

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

• Sitka Gear