Harvester 09-Aug-19
Grey Ghost 10-Aug-19
kscowboy 10-Aug-19
Grey Ghost 10-Aug-19
Ucsdryder 16-Aug-19
Billyvanness 26-Aug-19
yooper89 26-Aug-19
19-Apr-19
I love this time of year. Already getting guys pm'ing me asking for info on the unit. Hoping that this is their year. I hope for them it is! It's like the lead up to Christmas.... So much excitement!

It won't be long now!!

21-Apr-19
Anxiously waiting on the draw...good luck everyone!

21-Apr-19
Hands down the most mentally taxing hunt I’ve ever been on. After the first 3 days of having buddies along, I made it to day 19 before seeing my first legal ram and narrowly missing it with a deflected arrow. Spent the entire season down there and loved it but was a challenging year to say the least! I don’t know as much as the locals but I still have all my maps available to go over with any lucky bowsiter who pulls the tag.

21-Apr-19
We'll see in a few weeks... with over 25 years into this, I'm not counting on anything... Ed F

22-Apr-19
Thanks for bringing this up Eric. Brings back fond memories. Wish I could go back some day, but I'm not even going to build points up again--took 17 years last time and I'm guessing even longer for a possible next one. Maybe I'll hunt elk there someday though.

23-Apr-19
I'm hoping for my 5th bighorn tag here in CO. This time I put in for a rifle tag. Who knows, I might draw the Governor's tag at the RMBS drawing on May 4th.

24-Apr-19
Geez Bighorn............5?! And how many of us are hoping and praying for just ONE.

24-Apr-19
It's called sheep karma. Spend time working with an organization that benefits the sheep herds. Know where the best odds are in the draw and go from there.

24-Apr-19

Lone Bugle's embedded Photo
I've had three archery tags. One in S9 and two in S12. Took this ram with my third in S12. I've helped two guys take rams in S12 and one guy in S9. Man do I love sheep hunting....!

25-Apr-19
Great ram Eric!

Hopefully will finally get another chance this year...

04-May-19
Not for me Treeline... You?

05-May-19
No for sheep but I did draw a goat tag

05-May-19
Well I got a tag!!! Any suggestions lone bulge??

05-May-19
Amazing how many bowsiters grabbed tags this year! Or how many people just signed up for bowsite to ask for help on a tag they drew. I wish bowsite had a post counter or a join date.

06-May-19
Ive been here for 9 years, as many as I've been hunting with a bow or hunting. Hunted 49 last year elk shot a 360 bull. Year before I killed a 354 bull otc, I got a goat tag G16 and shot a billy. I don't post pictures on here cause i don't. Ive killed an elk every year i've hunted. 5 bulls with a bow and 4 cows with a rifle. Ive killed 4 speed goats spot & Stalk with a bow. 2 deer, one was fuzzy. The asking for help was somewhat rhetorical cause I can look at the CPW map and go glass and find a Ram and kill it.

So Ucsdryder Suck my Nuts!!!!

06-May-19

06-May-19
9 years hunting - Wow.

I got hunting underwear older than that

06-May-19
Easy Ski, I wasn’t referring to you. I think you got brads 9 year old underwear on and in a bunch.

06-May-19
What's "hunting underwear" a camo speedo?

06-May-19
Simmer down ski

He was making a comment of how many bowsiters drew. Which is true. Multiple guys drew goats and sheep and even have a raffle hunter winner.

Let’s see a pic of that 360” Bull you killed? I’d like to see that beast

06-May-19
I believe "hunting underwear" are the ones that your nuts and inside of your legs have made holes in and delegated as such. I could be wrong though.

06-May-19
Don’t ask, brad might indulge your request!!!

06-May-19
Fore-skin........ur, I mean ski-skin can't type for a while. He threw is arm out pounding himself on the back in his last post.

06-May-19
Ski skin Wow....first, you might “glass a ram and go kill it” Most likely not. That tag has been exponentially tougher to fill the last couple years. Some guys on here who are better hunters than most, have left empty handed and without even releasing an arrow. Plan on hunting multiple weeks, scout your ass off, check your ego, make your own luck and hope to get lucky. It’s not antelope

06-May-19
S12 is averaging 22.5% success by archers over the past 2 years. This will be a tough hunt. I hope this confidence is still alive 20 days into the season. Good luck, you are going to need it. A friend had this tag in 2017 and was fortunate to kill a good ram. He worked his butt off and got it done late in the hunt. He had his own show for a number of years but from the sound of things, you're a much better hunter.

UCS, I agree with you. We have our nice community here where everyone helps each other and contributes to the conversation (or sometimes derails). I'd be much more inclined to help a guy who has "paid his dues" here than Johnny Come Lately asking for advice on a forum where the rest of us have been for years.

07-May-19
KS COWBOY x-2

07-May-19
A 360 bull in 49 last year with a bow is quite an accomplishment considering how dry it was and with the fire closure. Hunted 14 days thier and never saw anything bigger than 320. I wouldn’t mind a ram tag thier!!!!

07-May-19
I apologize Ucsdryder I spilled whiskey on my keyboard!

07-May-19
Historically S12 has been one of the easier units to draw due to the difficulty. Once Rams see bows and arrows they have been known to disappear for a few days / weeks. My partner and I drew with a group application at 7 points in 2001.

Spent 5 years in the penalty box and now sitting on 3 and 10, almost twice what it took me to draw 18 years ago.

I would only hunt S12 again if I could hunt every available day. Back then I didn't know better, got lucky and killed my Ram on the 2nd day. My partner and I hunted 24 more days together and he never drew his bow.

Good luck to the S12 tag holders.

07-May-19
I have been on here for many years....didn’t realize there were dues. Thank goodness some of the guys who helped me out in the early years didn’t realize it either. I have had guys I did not know other than through a PM bend over backwards to help me be successful. Brandon in UT met me on the Wasatch and showed me where to hunt and helped me get a bull when I had no idea what I was doing. Matt in NM told me where to go on a great AZ tag I drew and came out and hunted with me. Called in a 345 bull I was able to take... my best. Don from MT let me stay in his home when I drew a Shiras moose tag and hunted with me everyday until I got one and then 3 years later took me lion hunting when I drew a tag and was the only reason I got a lion. I don’t think I had done a single thing to deserve the help these guys (and many others) have done for me and I doubt I am ever able to pay them back. But I do appreciate it and try to help other guys whenever I can. Congrats to the lucky bowsiters who have drawn a sheep tag. If I could help you can bet I would. A sheep tag is special.... enjoy it! Pay it forward guys.

Mike -TN

08-May-19
Mike the good news is there is LOTS of ways to pay people back that doesn't have to be hunting help if you not in a position to help them. Two years ago a guy really helped me out and I sculpted him a replica of the Mule deer I killed ( a $950) retail price Send them a couple dozen arrows!!!! Notice they shoot a 7 mag send them 10 boxes of the good stuff...a new Kuiu Jacket!!! Basically a moose and lion guide....should be something really good..... a new bow sounds about right, actually that's cheap !!!!!! I have done all those things and love doing it....helped people that have helped me with hunting..... the point is and everyone knows it there are lots of people that look at it all like a one way street...yep pay it forward and pay it back!!!

08-May-19
Dang Dave! Time sure flies doesn’t it! Your sheep hunt seems like only a few years ago...

I have had two tags in 12 and helped a ton of guys over the years. Every year a few guys get chances on the opening couple of days. If your not lucky then, it can get really tough.

Better have lots of time available, be in great shape, and be ready for it. One of the toughest hunts you’ll ever love.

08-May-19
Tavis, it does seem like it was just a few years ago... really looking forward to another sheep hunt before too long.

08-May-19

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
This ram will do!!! Actually I took this picture in a different unit.. I'm 62 years old and finally drew a S12 sheep tag after 20 years of applying. I'm in pretty good shape with intentions of getting better. I live about 3 hours from this unit. I'm Retired and will be spending a lot of time scouting this summer. I have a wedding to go to opening day(Aug. 3rd) in Idaho, but am planning on being back and headed up a couple days after that. I've PM'd a couple of you already and am sure I will PM many others. I will have help from my sons on some of this, and will be solo at times also. I will have a ton of questions for you all, so don't get sick of me if I'm bugging you all throughout the year. I love to carry the camera, so I will definitely be posting pictures. Thanks in advance for the help. Good luck to all

13-May-19
Kc9 im planning on punching my tag the first day. If i do and you want help i'll be there for 2 weeks or the whole season.

02-Jul-19
Ski, you seeing any scouting? It will never be easier to find them or to get close to them...

10-Jul-19

"The bigger rams are over there...."

10-Jul-19
Ski, why would you even hunt the first day if you did not plan to fill your tag that day? Go get em. Good luck!

10-Jul-19
Mike-Tn - I think you & adventurewriter nailed it. You don't have to post on here for 6months or years to get help from great people. Plus you can easily pay it back in numerous ways. I personally joined because I needed info on bear hunting in Canada and I fully intended to ask one question and never come back to the site. All because I hate social media but now I come back daily. We should be more inviting to new bowsiters even if there first post or question is in regards to a tag they've just drawn.

14-Jul-19
I've been up in S12 quite a bit this summer looking for rams. Lots of miles, lots of up, and found a few good ones. This past Friday/Saturday I went in and the big change from past scouting to this trip is the number of bugs. I felt like I was in Alaska. Thick mosquitoes up through 13,000'. All the elk and sheep looked like caribou - twitching, scratching and sometimes bolting to get out of the bugs. Anyone else have similar experiences? Thick mossies well above treeline is a new experience for me.

15-Jul-19
I too was up there and saw the same thing. Guess that's why the mountains are called the "Mosquito" range. Unreal.

16-Jul-19
Really wet year. More mosquitoes than normal I think this year

18-Jul-19
Lots of bugs! I’ve been up scouting as well and finally the snow is melting. Hard to believe season opener is in just over 2 weeks! Seen some rams which is nice but lord knows where they’ll be come season! Been spending time mostly above tree line but haven’t spent much time around the pump house. Anyone spending time down there? My intention is to spend most of my time up high!

18-Jul-19

bowhunter24's embedded Photo
bowhunter24's embedded Photo

18-Jul-19
Nice pic! Good Luck hunt hard!!

18-Jul-19
Go get em boys! See some of you at the CBA Jamboree I'm sure.

18-Jul-19
good example how Rams have 'eyes' looking every direction when bedded / feeding

18-Jul-19
No doubt Stoneman..when they figure out they’re being hunted they see and smell everything more acutely than any animal I’ve ever chased. 13’ i was helping a buddy with his S12 rifle tag, opening morning we found about a dozen rams with multiple shooters. As we snuck below the ridge line to ease within a couple hundred yards they vaporized. Wind was good, no one else around, totally mind blown. Couldn’t even figure out where they went.

18-Jul-19
Yea wild sheep are a crazy animal. Much spookier than deer and elk and other animals

30-Jul-19
Good luck everyone! I wish you great memories and success.... What a hunt!!

31-Jul-19
Truck packed, bow dialed and arrows numbered 1-5. This will be a marathon. I’m trying to stay neutral, but excitement keeps creeping in! Can’t wait to get in the hills knowing I can pack my bow and not just a camera. Good luck folks!!

31-Jul-19
Good luck, be safe...

31-Jul-19
Have a great time 2xLung!

31-Jul-19
2xlung pack your camera and take an insane amount of photos. I tried to make the effort and still wish I took more.

03-Aug-19
Good luck. Ed F

05-Aug-19
skiskin you kill one yet?

05-Aug-19
I heard somebody hit a ram in 12 mile opening day and had not recovered it yet

05-Aug-19

Ski-Skin's embedded Photo
Ya that was me, 8:30 shot a 3/4. Shot it back. 8” of arrow and 3 vanes inside. Found the Broadhead broken arrow and blood, they went into the cliffs. Level shot I just pulled it. Been looking since.

05-Aug-19
Good luck finding your ram!

05-Aug-19
SH!t happens to us all sometimes, hope you are able to recover your ram! Good luck!

05-Aug-19
Stay on it, you'll find him!

05-Aug-19
Good luck ski! Stick with it. You'll find him.

05-Aug-19
That's a lot of good blood. Rams are not very tough compared to other animals like mt goats or elk. I had a less than prefect shot on my first ram. He went a ways but was piled up after probably only 4-5 minutes of walking/running. It was tough long night and track the next day but I found him after noon the next day. Keep us in the loop. Keep looking. Good luck! Sandbrew

05-Aug-19
You made a shot happen opening morning just like you said you would! Damn I’m impressed....now find that sucker! Good Luck!!

05-Aug-19
Karma is a bitch ;)

05-Aug-19
Second Sandbrew they are the least tough of NA game....I'm actually surprised 8 inches back did'nt do it pretty quick....I know people and it has happened to me you think he went this way and keep looking that way when maybe it falls and gets back up or just decides to make some crazy angle in a different direction...first elk I ever shot with a bow was heading down a steep well worn trail and then I lost the sparse blood....for whatever reason he decided to go straight up a STTTEEEEP rocky hill side and died 200 yards up there the tiniest fleck of blood had me look there or I likely never would have...

05-Aug-19
sorry mis read thought the shot was 8 back...nice red blood

05-Aug-19
He said he was going to punch his tag the first day. So the million dollar question...did you punch it on the hit ram?

05-Aug-19
Hope you find him! Like stated sheep are kind of whimps when hit.

05-Aug-19
I guess it’s not as easy as “glass a ram, and go kill it.”

Matt

05-Aug-19
Ahhh he’s definitely got a set of walnuts to come on here and let us know he hit one and hasn’t recovered it. Kudos there...Not many would knowing the heat that would follow after the initial prediction. I do hope you find it man...a pass thru in the cavity means there’s a dead ram in 12 mile somewhere.

06-Aug-19
Get high and work down the benches. That ram is dead in the cliffs. Find him!

06-Aug-19
I agree with Treeline that basin is pretty big....but the way it is shaped he didn't make it out....

06-Aug-19
I’d definitely get in touch with the conservation officer and let him know what happened. If your ram is found by another hunter, you can still recover the horns, get him plugged, and begin tracking down a cape. Might owe a guy a nice dinner but that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Good luck.

06-Aug-19
Anyone know which arm of 12-mile and generally what direction he went? There are several caves and old mine entrances in there that are completely invisible until you're right on them..

06-Aug-19
Look around water sources too. Loss of blood makes them thirsty. Good Luck!

06-Aug-19
Have no idea, but there are some old mine openings on the north and the rams do like to roll around in there over to 4 mile as well. A lot of water in all that stuff. Still snow and meltwater. As tough as it is to see a sheep on his feet in the rocks, it is really tough to see one down and out in there.

06-Aug-19
The eagles will find him soon

06-Aug-19
I’d be looking for birds and working down wind of the cliffs. You’ll smell him. Last year the left over carcass of my bull (a week later) was smell-able from 1/2 mile away. The coyotes were howling and the birds were circling. Might as well have been a billboard pointing the way.

06-Aug-19

Still looking, glassed the middle from every angle walked in it 4 times, been in the south fork didn’t go to the end glassed it from the south side too. Been on the edge of the north fork. Found one coyote chasing marmots this ram a weird 4x bull that won’t leave a 40x40 patch of willows. Haven’t seen birds or eagles yet?

06-Aug-19
Keep looking! Good on you for not going after the ram you spotted.

06-Aug-19
This is the third one I’ve seen hiding since Saturday why would I go after this one?

06-Aug-19
Ski, the north wall of the south arm has some caves and a mine opening in it. I've seen the rams go in and completely disappear. Very sketchy rock slides so be really careful. You can see one of them from the traverse over to Weston peak. The others you really can't see into from anywhere that I could ever figure out.

Good luck man. Sounds like your doing the right stuff.

06-Aug-19
I can't say I have ever saw an eagle up there and not lots of crows/ravens either but just takes one and that's a great feast...good luck

06-Aug-19
“This is the third one I’ve seen hiding since Saturday why would I go after this one?”

A lot of people would have a temptation to stop looking for a wounded animal. You’re doing the right thing and I was trying to give you props for it. Every time I try to give ski the benefit of the doubt he acts like a you know what...

06-Aug-19
There are golden eagles and coyotes up there. Ravens as well. If he went into one of the caves or mines he will be super tough to find. Keep after it man!

07-Aug-19
Gotta be one of the toughest hunters on this site. Good luck with the search.

08-Aug-19
Ski Any luck finding that ram? I pm'd you my phone number. Headed up today and will be up there through the 24th. I'm sure I'll be in 12 mile sometime during the hunt.

08-Aug-19
At what point do you call it and move on? The season is long in S12, but the rams get harder and harder to find the later it gets. It seems like he’s still on rams, the one he hit is who knows where if it’s even dead.

09-Aug-19
I’ll be in Twelve Mile Sunday checking a trail cam for moose if anyone needs a hand with a ram.

10-Aug-19
I think it's safe to say Ski's ram is either still alive, or a pile of bones by now. Either way, sometimes a slice of humble pie is the best medicine.

Matt

10-Aug-19
Ski came on here quite cocky and arrogant. However, I respect the hell out of him still pursuing the ram he wounded versus putting a stalk on the other rams while not knowing exactly what happened to the wounded sheep. A little of his character showed through here and I commend him for pursuing the wounded sheep and having the guts to come back on here and post.

10-Aug-19
"At what point do you call it and move on? "

That is a great question, and one that I've struggled with a few times over the years. My limit for searching usually ends when I know there's no hope of salvaging the meat and/or cape of the animal. I once found a bull 3 days after I had liver shot him. He was a stinky maggot-infested mess. It nearly gagged me just to cut the rack off and tie my tag to it. Every time I look at that rack, I'm reminded of how humbling bow hunting can be.

In hindsight, I wish I would have abandoned that search earlier, and just kept hunting.

Matt

16-Aug-19
Did he ever find his ram?

26-Aug-19
Tomorrow’s last day....any report or updates since the early season action?

26-Aug-19

• Sitka Gear