midwest 27-Apr-19
'Ike' (Phone) 28-Apr-19
midwest 24-May-19
Shawn 24-May-19
Brotsky 24-May-19
APauls 24-May-19
brunse 24-May-19
23-Apr-19
Elk 101 currently has these on sale. But I am hesitant to drop coin on something that tastes like,,,,, well you know. I have always liked MH meals, but have avoided Alpine meals because of bad reviews. (IE I am leery of meals "on sale".) Any experiences?

23-Apr-19
Mountain house usually has some good discounts this time of year. If you prefer mh pay attention for a sale.

23-Apr-19

76aggie's embedded Photo
Breakfast Skillet is pretty good.
76aggie's embedded Photo
Breakfast Skillet is pretty good.
I stay with Mountain House because I have tried just about all their entrees and narrowed it down to the several I like. Have tried some other brands such as Backpackers Pantry and they don't agree with me at all. I don't specifically recall the Alpine brand though.

23-Apr-19
I've not had them but I have heard good things about the Peak Refuel breakfast skillet, the chicken alfredo, and the beef pasta marinara. I'd give them a try if the price was right.

23-Apr-19
aggie that breakfast skillet is one of my favourites for sure. It's also very easy to make at home and vacuum seal and bring to camp. Maybe not quite as light, but very good.

23-Apr-19
Mountain House for me. I've tried a few of the other brands but always go back to MH.

23-Apr-19
I like the breakfast skillet as well from MH. Having a couple of giant freeze dryers for our Taxidermy business is going to make it easy to cook my own meals and freeze dry them. We have experimented with Mac n cheese, biscuits and gravy, and pork chops so far!

23-Apr-19
Brian, I had a couple last year on a hunt. I thought they were good. They are based here in Utah and others seem to like them as well. I’ve had the chicken teriyaki/ rice and the breakfast skillet.

24-Apr-19
I believe the sodium content on pretty much all freeze dried products is high.

24-Apr-19
I've frankly never worry about the sodium content on these meals. I'm burning through a lot of water on the mountain, too much sodium is the least of my worries.

24-Apr-19
Advice for those who haven't had freeze dried meals but will be soon. Don't do what I did the first time. The first time I had never eaten a freeze-dried meal and then got dropped in the backcountry for 10 days. Had 2-3 freeze-dried meals per day. By the 10th day the toilet paper was dangerously low.

A better/safer approach is to acclimate your body to the freeze dried meals. Have one two weeks before your trip and then a couple during the week before your trip. This way your intestinal system can adjust, or whatever it does. I wish somebody had told me this years ago.

25-Apr-19
MH excellent.

25-Apr-19
Elkstabber makes an EXCELLENT point. If you are not used to eating freeze dried, by all means eat several at home to get your body used to them. My wife brutalized my dogs before she realized who the true offender actually was.

27-Apr-19

midwest's Link
The Peak Refuel are on sale for 25% off right now. Not cheap....even on sale.

28-Apr-19
They’re suppose to be lower in sodium and take less water to rehydrate...Ordered a few through BlackOvis, we’ll see...Pretty good reviews so far!

24-May-19
Ike, did you try them out yet?

Just ordered the Adventure Pack on sale for Memorial weekend. Comes with a free Morsel Spork....woot! lol Will take these to Wyo on my upcoming scouting trip.

24-May-19
I have tried a few of their meals. It is like anything, I thought some were good and others terrible. MH for me have the ones that I like best and they also put on some good sales ecsp if you go through Wally world. I have found them on sale for up to 50% off. Shawn

24-May-19
Nick, I've heard they were pretty decent. Let me know how you like them. Looking for something to add to the few mountianhouse I like. The chicken alfredo one looks solid.

24-May-19
Oh man I still get the shivers thinking about the one Alpine meal I tried. Next time I'll just eat the ass-crack of a coyote.

24-May-19
MH my favorite. But I like alpine aire as well. Several of them are good. Black Bart chili. All the steak ones if I recalll. Backpackers pantry ...not so much.

• Sitka Gear