Ken Moody Safaris 25-Apr-19
altitude sick 27-Apr-19
Bowboy 27-Apr-19
RK 27-Apr-19
Ken Moody Safaris 27-Apr-19
RK 27-Apr-19
23-Apr-19

Ken Moody Safaris's Link
Day 5...Bowsiter Jay Vanconant got it done!

23-Apr-19
Very nice! Congrats...

23-Apr-19
Your turn Cory!

23-Apr-19
I'd love to go again Ken, but I gotta get rid of this "sheep bug" that has bitten me hard! :)

23-Apr-19
When you’re ready we are.

23-Apr-19
Wow nice....congrats to Jay!

23-Apr-19
Way to get it done. Congrats all around.

24-Apr-19
We were performance testing the new Iron Will Buff Head. It performed flawlessly. Extremely tough broadhead in all aspects and super, super sharp. Well done Iron Will! Total arrow weight was 1028 grains, arrow speed of 212 fps.

24-Apr-19

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Iron Will Buff Head 250 recovered from Cape Buffalo.

24-Apr-19
Hell yes! Great job Jay, congrats!

24-Apr-19
Congrats!!

24-Apr-19
Well done....congrats!

24-Apr-19
Well done!

24-Apr-19
Congratulations! Great to hear the broadhead performed well for you guys.

25-Apr-19
Congrats! glad to hear the feedback on the Ironwills think a guy in my first week will be using them on water buff.

25-Apr-19
Awesome!

25-Apr-19

Just for you Pat...

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19
That's a beauty, but its a young bull, correct?

25-Apr-19
Congrats! One of these hunts are really starting to peak my interest! Looks like a fun hunt!

25-Apr-19
Great accompishment, congrats to Jay and team !

25-Apr-19
Outstanding! Congratulations, Jay!

As a side question, how does cape buffalo meat compare to beef, or bison? I would imagine it would be pretty darn close. I too find myself being more enticed by this type of hunt. What's the logistics of getting all that meat back here to the states?

25-Apr-19
It was a great hunt. We worked hard.

25-Apr-19
You can’t being the meat back to the states. USDA will never allow that. You can eat all you want while in camp (we’re having buff back straps tonight as a matter of fact). The meat becomes staff rations or is sold on the open market. Nothing is wasted. You pay a trophy fee which entitles you to the trophy.

25-Apr-19
PA, if I may give input, My meals of fresh cape buffalo were steaks grilled on an open fire grill at the outfitters camp. It was outstanding tasting, rich, dark, firm meat with little fat. It was dense but not chewy, and had a filling effect because I ate two healthy size chunks each time. I thought it was better than beef or bison, richer in taste but more dense. Maybe it was just the novelty of it, or the wood used (??), but it sure was good. it was not seasoned or marinated either, just straight steaks. I salted and peppered them once grilled. Grilled medium..pink center. Worth the trip to Africa just for that IMO...:)

25-Apr-19
That's interesting, but makes sense about the USDA. Good to know nothing is wasted, though.

Damn it, Trapper....now I really want to go! Thanks! :)

25-Apr-19
To the hunter, I did not intend to minimize your bull or your accomplishment by asking if it were a young bull. It is a great looking animal, young or old. Congrats on the hunt! I would not have thought it was any less of an accomplishment even if it was young. As a wildlife biologist, I was just asking about the configuration of the bosses and the space between being a characteristic of a younger bull, that's all. Just trying to learn more about African species, that I know little about, but have far more interest in now than when I was younger.

25-Apr-19
Awesome animal!!

25-Apr-19
This bull was 7-8 years old, fully mature. Bosses on a buffalo don’t always grow together. We shot two bulls last year both of which were ancient and neither had bosses that were grown together. We don’t shoot young bulls but we do shoot a lot of buffalo.

25-Apr-19

A buffalo in the wild will generally live 12-15 years. Once he so old he normally succumbs to predation. The following buffalo were shot last season and are from 9-12 years old. Fully mature, old bulls but bosses that never grew together.

25-Apr-19

25-Apr-19

27-Apr-19
PaBowhunter, Sorry for the late response to your question. the taste is very mild and flavorful, great texture. especially when cooked over the braai !

27-Apr-19
Congrats!

27-Apr-19
Awesome job!!

Ken in one of the pics there is a double rifle. Wondering what brand and caliber

27-Apr-19
Thats my rifle. It’s a Merkel 140AE in .470 Nitro Express. My partner carries a Kreighoff double in the same caliber.

27-Apr-19
Thanks Ken. Looked familiar I've got three doubles and one of them is the same rifle. Love them. Mine unfortunately don't get the same action as yours does

• Sitka Gear