PECO 25-Apr-19
Ambush 25-Apr-19
12yards 25-Apr-19
24-Apr-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
The new packaging and “bad” heads.
Ambush's embedded Photo
The new packaging and “bad” heads.
A while back ( can’t find the thread) it came up that NAP had changed hands and that the Spitfires were no longer the same. Kurt had done some measuring which did support that.

I just finished disassembling some new broad-heads, both old and new style. They look exactly the same but the packages are different.

The blade tension/retaining plate is .001” thicker on the new style heads, which doesn’t sound like much , but requires significantly more force to open. I suspect they just use the Crossbow head now and no longer offer both. That really sucks!! I’ve saved plenty of components over the many years I’ve used them, so I’m good for a long time. I won’t be buying any in the new packaging.

24-Apr-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
The old package and good heads.
Ambush's embedded Photo
The old package and good heads.

24-Apr-19
I have had luck pressing the dimple on the retention clip. It takes some specialized equipment, which I have, but I really like these heads, so I will do it. I believe the process was described in that other thread.

24-Apr-19
I re-dimple my used plates. The new plates, even with a lower profile dimple take too much force.

24-Apr-19
Elk bleed and die quick with those heads.

24-Apr-19
I found that the heads with new style dimple plate took about 7#s of force to open the 3 blades versus about 3 or 4#s with the old plate. This was measured by pulling the tip of each blade with a RCBS spring type trigger pull gage and very repeatable. Lubrication of the blade and dimple plate did reduce the pull slightly.

24-Apr-19
The individual blade retaining plate on the spitfires is why I use Wasp Jak-Hammers. The o-ring is simple and always reliable with very little force to open. Also, I like the fact that if one blade opens the o-ring rolls off and all blades open at the same time. I can shoot the Jak-Hammers at 320 plus feet per second out of my PSE Xpedite and they stay closed. Plus the blades never open in a quiver - ever! Made in USA!

24-Apr-19
I have been using the Maxx for turks but I HATE those retention clips. After shooting, some of them barely hold the blades in at all and need to be reworked. Much prefer the oring like used on Jak Hammers.

24-Apr-19
Why would anyone hunt with junk like that?

24-Apr-19
SB, your posts are always insightful and helpful. Keep 'em coming. You must be a joy to be around. :-Q

24-Apr-19
Why would anyone read junk like that?

25-Apr-19
Some good heads right there.

25-Apr-19
Lots of great heads out there. Not one head is above all the others. That being said, I personally, would not buy broadheads and have to modify them before use. I'm using something else. Most of us have more than one broadhead we love anyhow.

25-Apr-19
Your right Peco, plenty of good heads out there. I just hate to give up something I’ve had such a good run with. Too bad when somebody makes a good product, then somebody else rides it into the dirt.

25-Apr-19
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/rocket-sidewinderr-broadheads.html

Rocket Sidewinders on sale at Lancaster Archery. A good replacement? Or maybe they are being discontinued also??

• Sitka Gear